Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: shootin' blanks  (Read 857 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
shootin' blanks
« on: January 22, 2015, 08:44:18 AM »
for re-enactments and demos, what do y'all do for yer muzzle loader blank loads?  just powder down the tube or do ya add just a patch to keep it in place?  how much powder in the tube - yer normal charge or something less?  much obliged!  :wave

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: shootin' blanks
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 11:24:56 AM »
I've always just used powder down the barrel and kept the rifle pointed upwards so the powder doesn't fall out.  In the .54 I used about 100 grains Ffg.
For revolver shooting, I used a Wonder Wad over the powder and was able to holster the pistol with no problem.  I'd usually fill the chamber about 7/8 full.
A note of caution, blank shooting creates a mighty dirty barrel, so always use a powder measure, don't play movie star and load direct from the horn.  It could get exciting. :Doh!
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:57:50 AM »
I usually pour the load, then put a damp wad over. Usually a spit patch or bit of grass.
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 12:51:47 PM »
thanx fellers.

could there be a concern about a loose patch, where it might not sit tight against the powder and possibly damage the barrel?

Offline Snapper

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 01:15:13 PM »
Here in NYS and most of the east where I will participate in re-enactments we're not allowed to take our ramrods out and run them down the barrel except to show that the gun is unloaded prior to going onto the field.  Consequently all we do is add a little powder to the pan, pour the rest down the barrel and then I usually tamp the butt on the ground just to seat it a bit.  Paper cartridges are either disposed off on the field or, depending on the site, stashed in your bag until you get off the field and can find a garbage can.

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper
TMA Member Number 646
Expires 10/22/12

Spotted Bull

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 02:51:49 PM »
I'll use 100 grains in my .50 flintlock and wad up a cotton cleaning patch or two inside a cleaning patch and run it down the barrel, when we do demos and such. Makes a satisfyingly loud bang too!

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 05:06:39 PM »
Just be mindful of where you're shooting...any dry patch you put down the Bbl will most likely come back out smoldering...don't want to start a grass fire  :lol:
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline No Deer

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 78
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 07:21:20 AM »
I have been to some reenactments where the blank load size could not exceed the caliber size (ie. 50 cal = 50 gr.).  Personally this does not produce a very satisfying bang.  I usually used 90 gr. in my 20 ga. trade gun, no wadding of any kind needed to produce a very satisfying bang.  As a side note, in a parade if you pass under a bridge, a volley using 90 gr. each will have a very pleasant effect  :applaud

Some reenactments do not allow ramrods on the field, afraid that someone will forget to remove it from the barrel  after ramming down a wad (I heard of this happening once) and shoot it.

While I have found that a patch or wad is not necessary to produce a big bang, I know some that do use them.  If you do, just remember that at the speed it comes out of the barrel, it can do some harm, don't shoot at or over anyone.
Life is too important to take seriously.

TMA Charter member #78
Valid until 8/16/2015
President, Lansing Muzzleloading Gun Club
Visit us at: Lansing Muzzle Loading Gun Club

Offline TallTexan

• TMA Forum Member
  • You can't kill a man who is born to hang.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 09:07:29 PM »
For demonstrations I use a patch on top of the powder, usually 30 grains or so in either my .54 or .50.  It will shoot the patch about 10 yards or so and does come out smoldering or on fire so be careful.  That wouldn't be the thing to do if reenacting a battle where patches could be harmful to the person on the general area of the shot but keep in mind that blanks build up powder fouling much quicker than when shooting bullets so I always swab between each shot.  The fouling build up can become a blockage very quickly if not removed and act as a bore obstruction, also not a good thing.
Member 629

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 01:46:33 PM »
For muskets and trade guns of 20 gauge and larger the maximum powder load where I reenact is 120 grains, but I only use 100 grains of 3Fg.  It burns faster so produces a nice pop.  Were I to shoot live ball or shot I'd be using 2Fg.

For rifles, and for guns under 20 gauge, the rule is powder load should not exceed 1.5 x the caliber.  That would give me 80 grains in my .54 of 3Fg.  I use 70 as that is what my charger for the rifle provides.  Plenty of pop.  

We are not allowed to ram down anything on the powder, not to use the rammers when on the field.  Cartridges must be in either a leather or tin container with a cover.  Guys doing Native with a wool shooting bag use a leather insert with a leather flap concealed in the wool bag.  Cartridges only, no loading from a horn, and horns with powder may not go onto the field either.  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 06:37:12 PM »
welp, the "re-enactment demo" is now a "go" for this coming 4th of july.  so far there'll only be 4 flintlock rifles between .36 and .50 caliber, but hopefully there'll be more "militia men" added to the ranks to protect the town from the "advancing redcoats".  ;)  we'll get together in may or june and choreographic how it'll all go and get to see how the no-patch blank loads work, sound and look.  thanx folks.

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 12:29:11 PM »
rfd,
Don't forget the photos!
snake-eyes  :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]