Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: india smoothbore  (Read 856 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
india smoothbore
« on: June 14, 2015, 08:06:45 AM »
never owned or shot one the pakistan/india muzzleloaders, but read through the "stigma" thread ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19716&hilit=stigma ) and still have some doubts about firearms from that far off origin.  

however, i'm somewhat jonsing for an early "indiaN trade" smoothie, which will get limited use, perhaps as little as only a handful of times per year, and so spending $1k+ may be more folly than fun on my part.  with that said, TOTW has an india smoothie that at least looks reasonably "correct" for my needs at a $500 price tag ....

... just needs the touch hole bored out, no big deal for me.

fun ... or folly?

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
Re: india smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:35:40 AM »
Have no experience with these, but would buy one if I needed one.  Lots of pros and cons about these, but I see no stats of mass injuries from these or import bans due to safety issues. Fun.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline David Yossi Snellen

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 07:29:53 PM »
Dear Sir,
I would hesitate with one that doesn't have the touch hole drilled.  Those generally come from Discriminating General - NOT GOOD.  If It were from Loyalist Arms, I wouldn't hesitate,  if from Middlesex Village Trading Co., probably all right.
Loyalist is a good company and I have a pistol from them as nice as my Lyman GP pistol.
David

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 01:18:23 AM »
I was the original poster of the "Stigma" thread.  The only thing I'll add is that you will be dealing with Track of the Wolf and those folks stand behind the products they sell.  Will it work?  Almost certainly and if it doesn't send it back to Track.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline David Yossi Snellen

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 02:57:51 AM »
Gentlemen,
I have owned something from Loyalist, Middlesex, and Discriminating General.  My personal experience is:
Loyalist arms I liked.  Wood was good, trigger pull not bad, fit pretty good.  I had an 1842 musket (wish I never sold it) and an EIC pistol (love it).
I had a blunderbuss from Middlesex.  Never fired it, but would not have been afraid to- however, fit and finish and trigger pull didn't compare to Loyalist.
DG- I had a dog lock from them.  Horrible wood color, horrible trigger pull.  Did not think it was of the quality of the other companies.
Others may have had different experiences.  I have no intention to be disrespectful to anyone or their opinions.  Some like them, some don't.  I think they are generally safe, but I would put Loyalist above the others I have seen/owned.
Respectfully,
David

Offline old ugly

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 11:21:13 PM »
I have owned one of the india made guns, ready to shoot, a brown bess, I was not at all happy with it. I will not say which supplier, and I would think there is various qualities but I don't know how you would select the best one.
I ended up spending more money and bought a pedersoli and am happy with it.
same old thing, you get what you pay for.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 05:53:02 PM »
while i'm sure there are at least some good india guns out there, i think i'll pass.  and i did.  

in the long run, going with a reputable builder pays dividends.  

and so, this .58 will be arriving soon ... thanx for all your input and help.

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 07:17:32 PM »
Just wondering if the British Bess style sideplate is "right" for a trade gun?  Not quibbling, just expanding my knowledge.  Just learning about trade guns.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.