Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Ultra-Hi Kentucky percussion 44 cal. pistol  (Read 1416 times)

Offline buzzsaw

• TMA Forum Member
Ultra-Hi Kentucky percussion 44 cal. pistol
« on: February 14, 2016, 02:21:18 PM »
I found and bought a 44 caliber Kentucky percussion pistol. It was advertised as a 45 caliber, but when it arrived the box said 44 caliber My luck. Anyway another caliber dose not really bother me except there is not a lot of info floating around about 44 cal. single shot pistols. Tons of info on revolvers in 44 cal. I guess this thing was built in Japan by BC Miroku.  I took it all apart and everything seems new and well made. I thing it is unfired and in like new shape. The rifling is really shallow,maybe 4 to 5 thousands of an inch. I ordered some .429 and .433 round ball and thinking maybe 15 to 20 grains fffg black powder to test it out. Any thought or warnings?

Thanks. Buzzsaw.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Ultra-Hi Kentucky percussion 44 cal. pistol
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 03:19:23 PM »
I'd say you are on track, just for pc. of mind I would double check the bore size at muzzle.
Have fun!
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline buzzsaw

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Ultra-Hi Kentucky percussion 44 cal. pistol
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 04:16:36 PM »
44 cal. update. Measured the bore the best I could with calipers and measured .454 and .445 so I ordered some .429 and .433 round ball from Track of the Wolf .The .433 RB  measured on average .430 so I guess their mold and my calipers are not equal. Anyway, the pistol shot well but grouped 16 inches high at 25 yards. I made a new sight for the front .250 higher and shot a good group 18 inches low. I made a mark on the front sight about 1/8 inch down from the top and shot again using that mark and bulls eye. Now I,ll just file it down and start to refine the load and patch and such. I was using the .429 ball with .010 pillow tic patch and 20 grains fffg. Fun gun to shoot! Oh, getting the old front sight off was a real mess! The damn thing was pinned to the barrel by the bead through the dovetail plate. Something learned the hard way.

Buzzsaw.