Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Buckhorn Sight picture  (Read 847 times)

Offline kswan

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 790
Buckhorn Sight picture
« on: February 21, 2016, 04:01:05 PM »
Hello Folks.

Im quite new to black powder shooting but very experienced with modern shooting.
I have just built a Tennessee rifle 42 inch barrel in 50 cal. I started with 50 grains and am up to 75 grains but my MPI is about 8 inches low with any load.  Ive not used buck-horn so before I start to change the front sight, what should my sight picture generally look like with buck-horn sights at 50 yards. Right now I have the foresight just visable at the bottom at 50 yards. Should I have the foresight in the center of the horns?
thanks for taking the time to read.

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Buckhorn Sight picture
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 05:34:43 PM »
When I had buckhorns on a rifle (no longer) I used the top of the blade at the top of the notch. Then found where top of the blade in the center of the "peep" would hit and finally the POI with the blade level between the points of the horns.  

You can use any of these that appear more clear to you.  Sight I use now is more of a semi buckhorn. Track of the Wolf has a lot of options to look at. Experimenting is part of the fun. Enjoy.
TC
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th

Offline kswan

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 07:59:56 AM »
Quote from: "Rocklock"
When I had buckhorns on a rifle (no longer) I used the top of the blade at the top of the notch. Then found where top of the blade in the center of the "peep" would hit and finally the POI with the blade level between the points of the horns.  

You can use any of these that appear more clear to you.  Sight I use now is more of a semi buckhorn. Track of the Wolf has a lot of options to look at. Experimenting is part of the fun. Enjoy.
TC

Thanks very much for your input Rocklock.

Offline Eric Krewson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 10:47:55 AM »
Why don't you just file the front sight down a bit? All front sights come a little high so you can make an elevation adjustment. If you take about 1/16" off the front sight your point of impact should be about right. It is a file a little and shoot, file a little and shoot process.

Offline kswan

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 12:24:59 PM »
Quote from: "Eric Krewson"
Why don't you just file the front sight down a bit? All front sights come a little high so you can make an elevation adjustment. If you take about 1/16" off the front sight your point of impact should be about right. It is a file a little and shoot, file a little and shoot process.

Yes, I think a little experimenting to get this right.
Thanks

Offline TallTexan

• TMA Forum Member
  • You can't kill a man who is born to hang.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 11:54:11 PM »
Quote from: "kswan"
Quote from: "Eric Krewson"

Yes, I think a little experimenting to get this right.
Thanks

I second that advice, and file just a little bit at a time as it's much easier to take metal off than to put it back on.  I like Buckhorn sights the best and find them easier to get on target quickly.
Member 629

Offline kswan

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 10:53:48 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. Just need weather better than -20 to get back out there and put into practice.  :rt th

Offline RonC

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 741
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 02:08:36 PM »
I simply could not get a good sight picture with 69 year old eyes and the full buckhorn. Before changing to a different style sight, I decided to attach a small washer to the sight with the hole centered on the notch at the level of the ledge.
As soon as I try it out, I will write about the results....or lack thereof.

Ron