Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: A view from the past  (Read 9669 times)

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
A view from the past
« on: March 07, 2016, 11:55:16 AM »
I found this post I made in July of 2008 on another site. I thought it might be of interest

I've been shooting black powder since Kit was a pup. Back when people looked at you sideways and rolled their eyes when they saw you in the woods with a sidelock gun. Then the movie Jerimah Johnson came out and suddenly everybody wanted to be a Mountain man. Things was good, shooting black powder guns was cool. Muzzleloading clubs and Rendezvous sprung up all across the land, from the mountains in the Northwest to the swamplands of the south. "Them was shinin times"

Muzzleloading became so popular that in many states a special hunting season was created just for black powder. Here in Michigan it was roundball only in the southern half of the state that was the "shotgun only" zone.

Man is a lazy creature by nature...he's always layin on his backside tryin to figure out a way to make things easier. So the next thing you know we've got this black powder shootin gun that don't look nothin like the gun that ole Jerimah shot. They call it a muzzleloader because you load it down the muzzle, but it's a "Ba$tard child" ...a cross between modern and traditional. To make matters worst, folks started snatchin em up like they was candy in a kindergarden class. Of coarse because they was "called" a muzzleloader, they were legal to use in OUR special ML season.

A few die hards like me and some of you clung to our sidelocks and watched as our world changed for the worst. I always had the dream that Flintlocks someday would shine again.

A few years ago when the rumblings of a National Traditional Muzzle Loading Association started to come to life, I was ecstatic. I begin to have hope that this dream could and would come true. If a group of dedicated people came together with the one minded goal that they could preserve and promote our muzzleloading Heritage,..THEN we had a chance to take back that which was taken from us... our special hunting season. If we could inspire newcomers with the pride of our/their History, we could and can be recognized as an individual group NOT to be lumped in with other so called ML er's by the powers that be (lawmakers)

To be able to grow to a formidable force, we need to stick together...pull together...be one minded in our goals. We need to be willing to sacrifice unselfishly for the good of the cause. It cuts me to the quick when I see and hear petty bickering within our ranks. Selfishness and Pride can be our undoing. It can distract us from our goals, but worst it can turn good people away from us and our cause.

The TMA was not formed for me and my personal agenda...or for you with yours...it was formed for all of us who want to preserve our traditional muzzle loading Heritage for now and for future generations.

Please think of this the next time your pride is stepped on.

Ron LaClair, "Longhunter"

TMA Charter member #54
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: A view from the past
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 02:50:16 PM »
amen, ron ... and the same sentiments apply to stickbows.

in all cases, the common denominator is "technology", in which clearly the landscape of this 21st century is extremely unlike that of the centuries that birthed the firearms we love so much.  add to the mix the changing values in culture and one can see why the old ways are struggling to, well, survive.

it takes way more than just a love of flint and cap locks, and the old ways, to perpetuate a sport or lifestyle - it takes modern smarts of technology and marketing ... and a dedicated commitment.  and that's just for starters.

Offline Caddo

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 10:44:39 PM »
Good words Ron...good words.
"Make sure your right then go ahead"

Member #533
Expires 01/28/2013

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 08:45:02 PM »
Good strong words Longhunter!
 :hairy

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 05:11:18 PM »
Good words Ron!
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 01:41:38 PM »
Ron,
       Well put!
snake-eyes :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 05:54:53 PM »
Well put, Ron  :rt th
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 08:56:53 PM »
I enjoy that more with each reading!
Really, really good words that carry a powerful impact with many of us old-timers.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 10:45:01 AM »
M & M. Magnumitis and Money.  Folks have been sold so much bigger and faster is better and farther on everything that they apply it to all sports. ...  golf, archery, skiing, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, etc. hell a .30-06 ain't big enough or bad enough and u need to laser the range to a half a yard and dial it intp a computer actuated compensating 20x-+ scope.

Manufacturers make $ developing stuff you just gotta have then spend some $ making you believe you gotta have it and more $ bribing guvment types to pass laws so the latest whiz bang is now legal. And where does all that ad and bribe $ come from?  The poor schmucks who buy the whiz bang.
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 11:25:17 AM »
to each their own, it's all subjective one way or another.  i've had some purty powerful modern firearms over the decades, and once an apex of sorts was attained i just kept backsliding into the 19th and 18th centuries.  now all i have are ml's and bpcr's, all loaded with real back powder and shooting pure lead or lead alloy.  the only modern firearm i have is a 357mag, for home protection and s/d.  the kids of this 21st century either get it or don't, most don't and will follow the lead of their peers into the world of the ar15's and their pseudo military ilk.  though flicks like 'the last of the mohicans' and 'the revenant' help, it can still be a tough row to hoe in getting the ranks of trad ml increased, indeed.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 04:45:09 PM »
Just saw this, and it is most appropriate!  While I'm not done with cartridge firearms, I find myself carrying a muzzleloader whenever I'm out in the woods.  Always have, except when I was going for our winter meat on Prince of Wales Island.

~WH~

P.s. - maybe this should be a "sticky"?
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline hawkthrower

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 732
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 12:34:32 AM »
Go Ron! - make it a sticky - We all need reminding that there is purpose to our passion and passion to our purpose!
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 03:43:54 PM »
 :hairy Yes it does need to be a sticky!
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 07:45:17 AM »
We all benefit and lern from those words.Thanks Ron
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 03:31:32 AM »
Great post Ron!  :bl th up :*:
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6