Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Caliber choice  (Read 1263 times)

Offline 2country

• TMA Forum Member
Caliber choice
« on: June 03, 2016, 10:32:29 AM »
Hello every one.
What a great sight this is, with very knowledgeable people and absolutely beautiful guns.
  I would like to get your help if you would. I am looking into getting a flintlock rifle
and am trying to decide on caliber. This is what I have
       Lyman’s Great Plains .50 cal. percussion
      Thompson Center Hawken .45 cal. percussion
      Traditions Crockett .32 cal. percussion
I’m trying to figure out if a .36, .38 or maybe a .40 cal would be good for coyote and crow hunting. I know my .45 and .50 cal. will work but I,m thinking of a flinter (long rifle). I could get a .45 but I thought maybe something a little different. I thought about the .38 to go with my .36 cal revolver, maybe shoot the same ball.
   I would appreciate any feed back on caliber choice you would give.
I hunt mostly woods but do get shots out to 125 yards max.
Thank you very much.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: Caliber choice
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 12:43:36 PM »
hi!  welcome to the TMA!

firstly, and my opinion only, sir ....

i'd stay away from spanish built rifles such as CVA and traditions because for the very most part their breech plugs are advised that attempts to remove breech plugs will ruin the barrel.

t/c rifles will allow breech plug removal, as will investarm rifles (lyman and cabelas).

my firm preference is for investarm products and i've had way more than a few, including the hawken caplock kit i just built and wrote about here on the percussion forum.

given your requirements, i would immediately give a thumbs up to the great plains 50 in either flint or percussion - it's a very versatile caliber that could easily handle the spectrum of game and shooting requirements you list.

Offline Dewey

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 650
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 12:39:15 AM »
The Lyman Great Plains RIfle in 50 cal percussion was my first black powder rifle - still regret that I sold it.
"Course, I would never go back to percussion from flint, but it sure was a great beginning rifle !!!
- Dewey

Member #650

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 02:28:56 PM »
You have a nice collection going 2country. But dang it man, don't even think about another .45, or a .38 until you acquire the best caliber to be had; the wonderful .54. And a .54 GPR flinter is a thing of joy.
Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 02:50:02 PM »
For your stated use a .40 flinter can't be beat.  It will reach out there and take coyotes, groundhogs, fox and more.  Mine is accurate and gives high velocities.  You don't need to go bigger, just better.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline 2country

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 03:03:08 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies, keepem coming.

The yardage listed is just the maximum you might get where I hunt not
what I need to shoot, I can let game walk if need be.
I have not found my maximum range on my percussion guns yet or the loads they like best but I will. I look at it same as a archery, I will find my maximum range and I will find the sweet spot.

As far as choosing the rifle, I’m looking at the TVM Southern Rifle, their Tennessee Rifle or something similar from other makers. I would like to keep the weight on this yote gun
down as much as I can but still be able to shoot maximum load (not that I would, just be able to).

Yes The Lyman Great Plains Rifle is a very good rifle, good looking and accurate. Is it a collection if you have under 5 or 6 or
The .54 would do the job and then some, but I don’t won’t to throw any more lead than needed for the job at hand.
The TC has a 5 digit serial number and is in really good shape. I don’t think it was ever shot when I got it 2 years ago.

Now the .40 cal. shoots a .395 inch ball at about 93gr.? My book says 2000 fps and 800 ft/lbs but gives no further data. Can you give more info on the capability of this caliber?

I just thought I would warn you this is only the 3rd time I have ever posted on the internet, and I am not very good at it, I don’t do text and can’t type (i peck). I was born 150 years or so to late.

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 09:26:07 AM »
I agree with hanshi about the 40cal. I've taken 3 deer with mine. None went over 50yds after the shot. The farthest shot was 71yds, a broadside, passthrough with 50grs-3f and .395 rb. And it's pure murder on coyotes!
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 11:53:49 AM »
After nearly 50 years of shooting black powder rifles (mostly flintlocks) from .32 to .62 my favorite calibers are the .32 for small game and the .54 for big game.  If I had to choose one caliber for everything it would probably be a .45
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline wattlebuster

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member #223 Expiration Date 08/13/18
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 01:15:20 PM »
I like a 40 for everything cept deer an for those critters I like a big hole an big blood lose so I shoot a 62
Pleasure is the feel of a fine handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a still frosty morning
Member # 223
Membership Exp 08/13/18
Member NMLRA
member CLA

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 03:06:41 PM »
Quote from: "Longhunter"
After nearly 50 years of shooting black powder rifles (mostly flintlocks) from .32 to .62 my favorite calibers are the .32 for small game and the .54 for big game.  If I had to choose one caliber for everything it would probably be a .45

I'm with you on the .45 for everything, Longhunter.  I've used mine on everything from squirrels to deer and it performs with authority.  I did learn to use light loads for squirrels as one can't always make head shots.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 03:16:09 PM »
Oh, and 2country, TVM makes a very, very nice SMR.  I have one in .36 and love it.  It's a feather weight and is accurate like you wouldn't believe.  I like it some better than that builder's TN rifle.

My TVM .32 Tn rifle.

The little .36 SMR.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 03:18:22 PM »
Quote from: "wattlebuster"
I like a 40 for everything cept deer an for those critters I like a big hole an big blood lose so I shoot a 62

Waddle, I also like the way my .62 smoothy hammers deer.  :hairy

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 08:49:39 AM »
.40 !    

Took a couple of deer w a .40 where legal cause it was my only flinter but now have a .54 sooooo.  

Have shot silhouettes w it and a good hit will take down rams. Half a ball may turn a ram where half a .54 would take it down so I try not to make a half ball shot.

TC
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 06:58:16 PM »
A typical 25 yard group with my .40.

A 100 yard group with the same rifle.  Group size INCLUDES the flier.  This is about as good as I can do at 100 yards with any of my rifles.

Offline 2country

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 08:32:39 AM »
Hanshi, those are really nice! Did you get them completed or as a kit?
What barrel length? How much do they weigh?
 I would like a 42 inch barrel at 7 pounds or under but I don’t know if that is doable.
  I called a few places and they only give me an estimate weight of 7 or 8 pounds or so.
I really need them to be more specific before I spend $600 to $1200.I was trying to be
specific on the gun I wanted to order, barrel size, length, length of pull, ect. however I
wasn’t having any luck.

Reading up on the .40cal I see it is well liked and would work well for my wants.

I am not having much luck finding info on the .38cal yet but I’m still searching.