Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: A Point of Interest.........10/18 Sheath Update.  (Read 1489 times)

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
A Point of Interest.........10/18 Sheath Update.
« on: October 04, 2016, 07:51:33 PM »

Last month, my Green-eyed Monster & I attended Mooseup CT's annual town-wide yard sales (200 venues), with a flea market store or two also taking part in the sale-a-thon.

One item I jumped on (@ $2), was this 6" unfinished Bowie that the seller had scavenged when cleaning out a former knife factory building (the other knives the seller had were unfinished steak knives).

This blade has a very faint Colonial "anvil" stamp just forward of where the guard will go (bracketed by "Prov" & "USA"), and I've been inside the Providence (RI) Colonial factory many decades ago, in the late 1960's, when I was a business machine serviceman.

This blade isn't lightly etched with the "TUF-STAG..(deer head)....ULTRA HONED" - it's deeply stamped.

I've seen the fake stag (ugh ! ) before on Colonial & Imperial knives - one of the reasons I decided to go with black Micarta ILO real stag for grip scales, because of the possibility that future viewers of the finished knife would pooh-pooh the real stag, thinking it was imitation.

Soooo, as soon as I got back home, I ordered a brass cross-guard & a set of black micarta scales, and intended to polish the blade, then fit/finish the knife guard & scales as soon as possible.

Last week, I got the crossguard, black Micatra scales, & a pack of rivets that I ordered from the CRAZY CROW TRADING POST for the bowie knife blade.

I then started the rehab by filing/fitting the crossguard to the tang via enlarging the pre-made slot in the guard so it slides onto the tang.

I also started polishing out the blade, and will permanently affix the guard when the polishing is done.

(after a slight polishing)

I cut out the scales, then decided that I wanted to try a 2-piece look, with the front portion of the grip separated from the longer/rear portion by a brass spacer.

After inletting the scales for the tang, I attached them in their rough/as-cut condition first, then hacksawed off the extra/protruding portions of the brass spacer.

Then, I worked the scales down to roughly the shape/feel I wanted, and riveted the scales to the tang with plain brass rivets.

The next steps I tackled are a clean up of the blade, and the  final sanding/polishing/etc of the grip & the brass guard, spacer & rivet heads - then try to start on a leather/rawhide parfleche sheath for it, like these two, below:

For the sheath, I first made a paper pattern & cut it out  so I would have to cut the leather only once.

Then, I used the paper pattern to cut out the leather & trial-fit the bowie into it.

Next will come finalizing the sheath's outer & belt slot shapes, then lacing/sewing the sheath edges together, before adding some brass tacking & warpaint :horse

I finally caught a break from re-working my home's kitchen cabinets to accept a larger, bottom-freezer refrig I bought, and started to work on my yard sale blade's sheath.

I had bought a Japanese-style 7" Santoku kitchen knife, that happened to have been supplied with a plastic blade guard.

Since the knife didn't need the guard (I have a knife block), I thought that I could use it as  a sheath liner, to prevent the blade from eventually working through the leather sheath.

The blade guard was a tad long for my bowie's 6-1/2" blade, so I reworked both the guard's throat and the overall length.

Here's how it will lay, hidden inside the sheath:

(I have already sewed a beadwork Thunderbird device onto what will be the outer face of the sheath)

My next step(s) should be sewing a single belt loop to the rear/outside of the sheath, then sewing the sheath together before installing a line of brass rivets just outside the bowie's cutting edge, down the sheath from the throat to the bottom.

After that, I plan on testing my artistic ability by painting a Native American design onto the facer of the sheath - I can only hope that I'll be up to it.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 01:56:40 PM by PetahW »
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
Re: A Point of Interest..........
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 08:15:38 PM »
Looking good. How did you afix the guard to the blade, if I might ask?
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 08:35:39 AM »

Thank you......

Since the guard's pre-punched (cast ?) center hole was too small to slide the guard onto the tang, I filed the hole for a snug sliding fit on the tang, then epoxied the guard to the tang - after which I drilled & pinned it to the tang with a piece of thin brass rod, which disappeared when I polished out the brass with my buffing wheel.

I likewise epoxied the scales to the tang, but used brass rivets ILO a headless rod to permanently secure them.

The thin brass spacer was once a boughten shoe buckle from a hobby shop, which I flattened, then drilled & filed the center of, so it would also slide onto the tang.
(I cut off the excess brass after the epoxy cured - it was further file-cut down & shaped when I worked down the rough grip)

USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 05:59:31 PM »
I really like what you've done so far. :bl th up
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
Re: A Point of Interest.........10/21 Sheath Update.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 08:12:10 PM »

A friend stopped by yesterday, while I was working on the sheath, and gave me  nice-size hunk of tanned buckskin - soooooo,I decided to make a 2nd sheath from some of it, alongside the sheath I've been working on.

I cut out the buckskin just like I did previously, then laced the edge(s) closed (below, with the 1st sheath and a factory sheath I decorated last year for a Cherokee Bowie I have)

I drew up both sheath's outlines on a piece of paper, then made several copies of each, so I could (color) pencil in a few different designs, to make mockup's, to see how it might turn out.

This is what I came up with for the 1st sheath:

This is what I came up with for the buckskin sheath:

Whaddya think ?   Suggestions ? ?

USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: A Point of Interest.........10/18 Sheath Update.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 01:06:53 AM »
Ain't no fleas on that dog.
Looks good to these old eyes.
 :hairy

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 12:16:10 PM »

I got busy & finished one of the sheaths today - the buckskin sheath.

I first drew an outline of the decorative pattern I wanted onto the leather.

I then applied some of the colors, and let it dry overnite.

After that, I decided that an orange/amber color looked better to me than the blue I had planned on.

The last thing I did was to clean up the black lines that separated the colors.

Now, back to finishing the other/original sheath..........    :sleep  

USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 01:13:49 PM »
Nice! :hairy

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »

Thanks for the kind words !   :Doh!   , I applied paint to only one color/section at a time, then letting it dry/cure before either second-coating a color or applying a different color.

As can be seen in the pics, where the colors flowed beyond their the edges of their section(s), I was able to clean up when I went over the black section borders.(aka: out of sight, out of mind ;) )

USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
Re: A Point of Interest.........10/28 Sheath Update.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 07:48:43 PM »

(10/28 Update - sheaths done, except for edge lacing one0

Well........ Just about done - I finished lacing the 1st (AND last) sheath today, with suede leather lacing.

Here's all 4 of my bowie knives, with their respective sheaths (for reference, the table they're on has 6" tiles):

(L to R: re-handled Cherokee Bowie w/re-worked sheath, re-handled Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie w/CS sheath, re-handled Colonial Bowie w/new sheath, and an unknown pig-sticker w/new sheath)

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:10:05 PM by PetahW »
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 04:47:34 PM »
Very nice work indeed! :shake

PetahW, I think your work looks great!  :bow
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 11:58:57 AM »

Thanks, Joe !  :oops:

USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Offline Bison Horn

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 09:53:51 PM »
Wow really nice, that sure is some eye candy for sure! BH
Alan Wright

Texas Trappers and Fur Hunters Association Life Member, LTAHA,National Trappers Association Life Member,FTA,NRA,NAHC Life Member
Dallas Muzzleloading Gun Club
"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms"  Thomas Jefferson
Texas Trappers and Hunters Assoc.