Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: everything to know about the '58 NMA ...  (Read 2781 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
everything to know about the '58 NMA ...
« on: October 30, 2016, 06:41:54 AM »
... which for me really does mean Everything!  

my first ever cap & ball revolver, a uberti remington 1858 NMA.  i need schooling on this revolver before it arrives late next week.  sounds like i'll need to get a .454 ball mould, probably a lee.  i've got swiss 3f powder and both #10 and #11 caps, i guess along with the mould i should get a capper rather than fumbling pushing 'em in with fingers.  

for loading, there are so many options, would like to hear what seems to work best for y'all - powder/ball/grease, powder/wad/ball, paper cartridge, the dreaded conicals ... and heck, even cf cartridge conversion cylinders.  

hope this’ll be a fun thing ... !?

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: everything to know about the '58 NMA ...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 12:46:27 PM »
I have 3 Remington 1858 NMA's, none of which are Uberti's but rather of the Pietta persuasion. I love'm all, VERY accurate and easy to care for.
I load them with 30 grs. of Goex FFFG,.... a pea sized ball of bee's wax and sheep tallow lube (a 50/50 mix) for a "lube cookie" in each chamber (between powder and ball),.... and .454 round balls (which I cast), I also have a Lee conical mold but never have taken the time to cast any of those.
2 of my Piettas have 8" barrels and the 3rd. has a 5 1/2" barrel.
I also lube the cylinder pin with the same lube as I use for the "lube cookies".
I've never had a chain-fire, and I have several cylinders for each pistol, which are carried (loaded) in cylinder pouches on each belt and holster set-up.

The Traditions cylinder loading tool is kind'a flimsy, but cheap and will work for a while,.... but something like the "tower-of-power" cylinder loading tool will last for generations.

Sorry I can't help with the cartridge cylinder conversions, I've never bothered getting one 'cause I'm still having too much with the percussion cylinders.  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 12:59:50 PM »
very good scoop, rondo - thanx!  :bl th up

was more or less curious about the conversion cylinder, and ditto's for conicals.  bp balls are first 'n' foremost, for me.  i like the way yer loading, i'll give that a go.  i already have the gato feo lube.  

how 'bout a thin card over powder card wad?  perhaps the same milk carton wads i use for the .45-70 would work?  then the lube on top.

intrigued by the youtube vids of building and shooting paper cartridges, want to give that a try as well.

i plan on getting another cylinder.  for off gun loading i have a 1/2 ton fretting press that should work well.

just sorry i waited so long, shudda ordered it out early this year when the weather was better.  better late than never, sez i!

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
Yes,... you can use a card wad over the powder, but I haven't noticed any deterioration resulting from powder contamination of the "lube cookie" next to the powder charge,... and I've had some cylinders loaded for months between firings.  :rt th

Edited to add:....Different lubes may lead to different results regarding powder-contamination however.
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 01:17:11 PM »
if the lube pea isn't a powder problem, i'll forego the card wad, one less thing to mess with.

how are you capping the nipple, what capping tool has worked best for you and your revolvers?
/

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 01:41:17 PM »
Quote from: "Rob DiStefano"
if the lube pea isn't a powder problem, i'll forego the card wad, one less thing to mess with.

how are you capping the nipple, what capping tool has worked best for you and your revolvers?
/
I just put the caps on with my fingers and use a short piece of wooden dowel to make sure they are fully seated on the nipples.  :rt th  :)
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 02:00:34 PM »
ah so ... good idea and reason for more spare cylinders!

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 02:04:48 PM »
This is the cylinder loading tool I bought from Powder Inc.,........ Cylinder Loader  |  Powder, Inc. | Master Distributor of Goex, Swiss and Schuetzen

Good quality and priced pretty reasonable.  :rt th
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 02:09:49 PM »
does look like a good, solid unit.  my 1/2 ton press will more than get the job done, however.  :)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 02:19:22 PM »
Quote from: "Rob DiStefano"
does look like a good, solid unit.  my 1/2 ton press will more than get the job done, however.  :hairy  :hairy
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 02:16:32 PM »
I use Tops Cigarette Papers and roll my paper cartridges with a 28 grain load of 3fg Goex and a .454 ball. After loading them I put a dab of grease over the ball (it's a stiffened TC Bore Butter that I've added beeswax to). I too lube my cylinder pin, and cap the same way as Rollingb.

I usually freshen my loads about every 2 to 3 years. I go to my local Range and shoot into an old stump from about 12 to 15 yards away. Loads always seem to be consistent in nature.

Now I'm not a handgun shooter by any stretch, and I'll add that I feel these BP Revolvers today are every bit the equal to yester'years when they were the rule and not the exception. :lt th
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 02:21:58 PM »
i was thinking of using cigarette paper, rolled, twist one end, 25 grains of swiss 3f, a pea of gato feo lube, add in the ball, twist.  but this is all new to me so i'm just guessing away ..... ;)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 05:25:14 PM »
dang, i gave away all my cci #11 caps, only have cci #10 ... will they be ok, or ......... ?

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 06:49:01 PM »
The CCI #10's fit my Piettas.  :rt th
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 06:53:36 PM »
wonder if the uberti nipples are similar in diameter to the piettas?

this is a good article on caps ...

Cap Gun Primer:  Percussion Caps