Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: SMALL Bore muzzleloader help  (Read 1424 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: SMALL Bore muzzleloader help
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 07:35:23 AM »
here's a little flobert "inline" percussion i've had for a while ...

Offline Mike Brooks

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.thegunmaker.com
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 08:57:58 AM »
Quote from: "lbothell"
The more I think of this the more I just want to go with a tiny smoothie haha just seems like a cool thing. Okay so my question is how affective at 20 yards would a, let's say .25 cal smoothie work with shot in it? I know a patches round ball would be fine as we mentioned but would it be a blowout with shot or would it hold somewhat of a pattern out to 20? I know this is all speculation bc I don't know of a .25 caliber smoothie ha
Probably similar to a .22LR shooting shot loads. they're loaded with what looks to be #12 shot and are effective from the floor of the barn to the roof for sparrows. Won't shoot through the roof either.

Offline Keb

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 09:10:37 AM »
I had both .25 & .20 caliber rifles in my possession a few years ago. I shot the .25 some but it was really hard to clean. Mike is correct about the ramrod size being a problem. I sold them both. A fella in W. Va got the .25 and a fella in Rhode Island purchased the .20 last spring and shot it quite a lot. I don't remember which web site he was posting on but he was chronicling it quite well with pictures.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 09:12:45 AM »
keb, were both rifled barrels?

whether rifled or smoothbore, what ball size and patching was used with the .20?

the powder granulation and charge?

thanx,
rob.

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 09:53:29 AM »
Slingshot would be even cheaper and quieter.

I was quite the slingshot hunter as a young kid.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017
Keep your nose in the wind.

Offline Keb

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 08:53:19 AM »
Rob, The .20 was smooth, .25 rifled. I don't remember ball sizes.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 12:41:11 PM »
Quote from: "Mike Brooks"
The more I think of this the more I just want to go with a tiny smoothie haha just seems like a cool thing. Okay so my question is how affective at 20 yards would a, let's say .25 cal smoothie work with shot in it? I know a patches round ball would be fine as we mentioned but would it be a blowout with shot or would it hold somewhat of a pattern out to 20? I know this is all speculation bc I don't know of a .25 caliber smoothie ha
Probably similar to a .22LR shooting shot loads. they're loaded with what looks to be #12 shot and are effective from the floor of the barn to the roof for sparrows. Won't shoot through the roof either.

Yep Mike, that's the way I remember it to.
I have shot more than just a few of those in years past, even tried 'em on a Squirrel once, but that was not the right thing to do.... and my story of the event didn't set very well with my dear old Dad.
Still yet, young boys learn quick and I was allowed to keep the gun.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline lbothell

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 03:46:22 PM »
Uncle Russ I agree, I know I have my fair share of off par moments haha. I'm thinking of definitely going with a small smoothie, but wanted to ask Keb was the .20 smoothie you had accurate? Guy was telling me back home that a smooth bore that small would have a pie pan size grouping at 20 yards at best. Which didn't make sense because I know some of you are shooting better then that at 50 to 70 yards with the big smooth bores.

Offline Mike Brooks

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.thegunmaker.com
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2016, 07:50:50 AM »
Uncle Russ I agree, I know I have my fair share of off par moments haha. I'm thinking of definitely going with a small smoothie, but wanted to ask Keb was the .20 smoothie you had accurate? Guy was telling me back home that a smooth bore that small would have a pie pan size grouping at 20 yards at best. Which didn't make sense because I know some of you are shooting better then that at 50 to 70 yards with the big smooth bores.
I have seen .40 smoothbores shoot real well. It will be all how you work up your load, a .20 should shoot well out to at  least 30-40 yards.