Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: July 2017 Mike Fink Shoot Is Now Open - Signup Here  (Read 5831 times)

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
Re: July 2017 Mike Fink Shoot Is Now Open - Signup Here
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2017, 11:28:55 PM »
Amazing shooting,  Uncle Russ!  Looks like it was you who were on fire today!  :bow
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2017, 01:49:10 AM »
Amazing shooting,  Uncle Russ!  Looks like it was you who were on fire today!  :bow

:lol sign :bow...Yep, I was on today, and Yep, there is fire all around us...nothing in town yet, or even real close.....and that must be seen as a good thing.

Just hope I can do that same thing tomorrow, or next week.....maybe a couple of times next month?
Seemed like I could do no wrong today, but I have to tell you ya John, that new L&R Lock had a whole heck of a lot to do with it.

When that sight picture is just right,  and the gun fires almost on it's own, you can bet that shot is going to be very near where you called it. And that is all in the difference of the locks.

There was noting wrong with the old T/C lock, it's just that the L&R is so much above it, in real lock time and it's smooth as butter, releasing at just at 2lbs on my trigger scale.

Thanks for the kind words John, if I can just keep doing this I'll be just as happy as a Pig in slop!

We'll see. I am planning another Range trip soon.
If I can do this two, three, times right out the gate, I will be one happy Camper!  :toast

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »
WOW!  absolutely superb shooting, russ!  :applaud   

apologize for being the broken cog in our team - i'll try to do better!

i've got an L&R RPL05 flint lock hanging around that's destined to go in the latest GPR. 

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2017, 03:10:07 PM »
WOW!  absolutely superb shooting, russ!  :applaud   

apologize for being the broken cog in our team - i'll try to do better!

i've got an L&R RPL05 flint lock hanging around that's destined to go in the latest GPR.

Thanks for the very kind words, Rob

I can not think of a better place for that new lock to go!
I have long felt that the very best, fresh out of the box, Rifle, I have ever shot was a GPR....hands down! Gawd! I still remember that day and how pleased I was.

However my own targets from yesterday reveal something that I was guilty of never given much  thought to, and that was locks.
A lock is a lock, is a lock, is a .........you get the picture.
Yesterday proved that thought dead wrong. After all, except for the lock, that was the exact same rifle I have been shooting for years!

Why would anyone change out a perfectly good lock?
It did it's job, then it was up to me to learn its characteristics, if it made a spark, or busted a cap every time you pulled the trigger, that lock was working just fine, and no one questions its performance. T least I never did!

Well, there's a bit more to it than just that.

It's very difficult to explain, and it's something I'm still in awe of....you have to experience it to realize the difference....and, if you're like me, it will take no more than just a few shots before you realize something is very different....is this the same gun? Is this my old gun?
Then, after you catch on, it's like shooting a totally different gun, but yet you feel familiar with it.

Very hard to explain, so I'll just leave and let you tell me after you get the new L&R.

Both barrels used yesterday were T/C Barrels that been shot a lot, pounds and pounds of powder have gone through these guns over the years, it has been a passion, something I love to do, and I have always recognize that that Smooth Rifle as a very exceptional shooter.....as most .56 Smooth Rifles are, albeit I'm more convinced than ever that the rear sight plays a tremendous role in all this.

After all, they were designed to shoot PRB, and then shot when need be, simply by its nature of having no rifling.
Unlike the Smooth bores which were designed to shoot shot, and then a PRB if need be, simply by their nature of having no rifling.
But look at the difference in the thickness of those barrels!

And, don't you ever worry about that broken cog, or trying to do better, that ain't what this is about at all!
These shoots are for having fun, trying new things, and getting better with the old technology that we use and seem to love.

Stay safe my friend!

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2017, 03:18:09 PM »
it's all about lock time.  i think the GPR locks are good ones.  i do think they can be improved for speed by taking them apart and doing the prescribed truing and polishing of the plate, polishing of the moving parts, and a very light bearing surface oiling.  the after-market locks of L&R, davis, siler, etc are trued and polished better than the assembly line GPR lock ... but again, the GPR lock can be improved for sure - IF need be.

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2017, 06:08:15 PM »
Great target, Russ! :bl th up  I'm also very impressed with how well you fitted the new lock and the strengthening of the wrist area of the Renegade.