Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: a new smoothie  (Read 2572 times)

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
Re: a new smoothie
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 02:52:07 PM »
AHHHH I bet it's a shooter! If we lived closer, we could cuss and discuss in person!!!  I shall await the video!
B

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 02:59:05 PM »
Quote from: "McBullett"
AHHHH I bet it's a shooter! If we lived closer, we could cuss and discuss in person!!!  I shall await the video!
B

:bl th up   :wave   :*:

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 06:01:40 PM »
Just getting a JB gun ready to shoot is a major accomplishment.  :Doh!
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 07:07:26 PM »
Quote from: "amm1851"
Just getting a JB gun ready to shoot is a major accomplishment.  :roll eyes   :shock:

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 09:12:18 PM »
:shock:  :*:

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 11:40:03 PM »
:Doh! you both are bannished from my fire until  :shock: mine arrives :)
     The turtle sight wasn't on it, however was replaced by a bladed sight. JB is sending me my turtle. The gun took me 3 weeks to get, one week behind. (no complaint)
     The serpent and guard didn't fit well against the stock, but I did some minor file work and they fit now.
     The wormy wood stock is beautiful. Once I oiled the gun down, the beauty came thru. The lock was crisp and tight. It sparks like a bygawd. Now for what I paid, to get an American made gun, and from a known builder, I'm tickled pink. Our "hobby" is expensive when you become a flinter whore, but it could have been a lot more. (the warden didn't flinch).
   All in all... I had a good experience. I'd deal with JB again. I just need to research gun soldering.

Hi I'm Brad... I'm a flinter whore  :)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 06:06:07 AM »
brad, you do realize that yer post is TOTALLY USELESS without PICTURES!!!   :shock:   :Doh!   :toast  :*:

Offline Eric Krewson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 09:48:36 AM »
This is the stuff for soldering on front sights, super easy to use with a propane torch.

The picture shows my first tube of the stuff with copper in it, my next purchase was the same low temp silver solder without the copper.

To put on your front sight you first put a piece of sandpaper over your barrel grit up and run the sight back and forth over the sandpaper to get the sight base perfectly matching the barrel curvature.

Next put a triangle file on a flat surface, with your barrel resting on the top barrel flat , drag the barrel across the triangle file. This will make a perfectly centered line to use as an alignment reference for placing your sight.

Put some solder paste on your sight and hold it on the barrel with some kind of clamp aligning it with your previously marked center line. Heat the sight briefly until you see beads of solder melt and form around the sight and you are done.

In this picture I am doing the same procedure with a underlug on a fowler barrel.

You can see my file drag marked center line on the barrel. With a C clamp you can tap your sight or underlug around a little for alignment before you heat it and melt the solder.

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2017, 12:17:51 PM »
Quote from: "Rob D"
brad, you do realize that yer post is TOTALLY USELESS without PICTURES!!!   :shock:   :Doh!   :toast  :shock:  I'm not good at posting sketches in a forum, but I shall endeavor to persevere. Let me see what I can accomplish today. Let me find a quill and some parchment.
Brad

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2017, 12:21:13 PM »
Eric... same principal as plumbing copper? If so, I GOT THIS!
Brad

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2017, 12:25:56 PM »
Quote from: "Rob D"
brad, you do realize that yer post is TOTALLY USELESS without PICTURES!!!   :shock:   :Doh!   :toast  :shock:  I'm not good at posting sketches in a forum, but I shall endeavor to persevere. Let me see what I can accomplish today. Let me find a quill and some parchment.
Brad
:rt th We like "sketches".  :rt th
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Eric Krewson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 01:19:42 PM »
Similar but you don't have to draw any solder into your joint because it is already there via the paste.

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2017, 03:21:38 PM »
Quote from: "Eric Krewson"
Similar but you don't have to draw any solder into your joint because it is already there via the paste.
purchased where? I'm intrigued!
Brad

Offline Eric Krewson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2017, 03:29:26 PM »
I bought the copper/ silver solder paste at Lowe's but couldn't find it the last time I was there. Rather than drive all over town looking for the stuff I ordered some off eBay, shipped free to may door.

I have also used it for adding metal to a trigger bar and adding metal for height to a front sight I filed too much on.

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2017, 04:21:32 PM »
OK... 2 hours of my life wasted. I have no idea how to post sketches. Says too big. I have no clue what a dadgum photobucket is. She is pretty and I guess you have to take my word for it... and I'm a scoundrel.
B