Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Just Curious, What Sight Zero & Sight Picture Do You Like Using?  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
As most of you know, I use fixed sights and for years now the rifles I use for target shooting I've been zeroing at 1" to 1-1/2 inches high (and sometimes end in the middle at 1-1/4" high) at 25 yards. The folks I shoot with - we hardly ever go beyond 50 yards. I hold with the top of my brass sight level with the top of my "V" notch. I use what one might call a "semi-six o'clock" hold.

There was a time (when my eyesight was better) I would zero with the top of my brass sight buried in the "V" notch, but the older I got & get, I really like the top of that brass front sight even at the top of the "V" notch.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Keb

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Just Curious, What Sight Zero & Sight Picture Do You Like Using?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 08:58:33 AM »
I don't own a gun with a rear sight and I don't see so good no more so I just use the point and yank method. :/

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 09:31:35 AM »
I like the top of the front post even with the sides of the rear sight, and I like a "lolipop" hold at 50 yards, which for my load of 70 grains of 3Fg and a .530 round ball in my hunting rifle, puts me just a tad low, but still good for hunting as far out as 100 yards.  i like the same hold in my .40 as well, though so far I'm only using that at 50 yards. 

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 02:43:28 PM »
I like a square notch rear sight with a flat blade front (the old T-C sight), like a Patridge set up.  Then I center the front sight in the notch, with the top of the blade even with the top of the rear sight, and with the target sitting on top of that.  I guess that would be the "lollipop" hold.  Now if I had better vision I would even look for a smidgeon of white under the bull but it don't work that way anymore!  With 70 grains of fffG at 25 yards in my .45 that centers the group in the target and a tad high at 50 yards.

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 03:52:10 PM »
I like a square notch rear sight with a flat blade front (the old T-C sight), like a Patridge set up.  Then I center the front sight in the notch, with the top of the blade even with the top of the rear sight, and with the target sitting on top of that. ...........

Right there with you WH. Sighted in for 75 yards.
Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.

Online Paulk

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 07:40:05 PM »
Pretty much do what Ohio Joe does.  Sight in 1" high at 25 yards.   My silver blade sight deep in the v notch.  My thicker, darker iron blade up level with the top of the v notch.  That's how my eyes pick up the sights best.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 08:50:50 PM »
I should mention that I do use the square notch on my x-stick rifles like Winter Hawk mentions. And, as Paulk mentions, I have tried the silver sight, and with my way of aiming offhand I just can't pickup a good sight picture with the silver, it's just to bright to my eyes. Now I never thought about burying that silver sight in the v notch. That makes perfect sense to me. My eyes now (or at least the last five years) seem to accept the dark blued (black to my eyes) rear v notch and the brass blade front sight.

I have been in the process of refitting my current brass bladed front sight rifles with a wider (thicker) brass blade, and so far I haven't had to widen the v notch. Seems the older we get - the more our sight changes. At least mine.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Paulk

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 09:05:43 PM »
What's odd for me is that I pick up the thin silver blade deep in the v notch just fine.  When I filed the back of the thicker iron sight so it was bright I had problems with it and just rebrowned it and hold it higher in the notch.  Go figure.

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 12:31:27 PM »
All, A thin blade, regardless of color/material doesn't work well for me.  In fact I sold 2 Swiss K-31's because I really couldn't see the thin front sight blade.  My BP guns, except for my trade gun, have square notched rear sights and Patridge style front sight blades (flat black), which provide the contrast (and width) that I need.  At 25 - 50 yd., I hold with the top of the front sight even with the top of the rear sight (trade gun excepted of course).

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 01:57:42 PM »
All, A thin blade, regardless of color/material doesn't work well for me.  In fact I sold 2 Swiss K-31's because I really couldn't see the thin front sight blade.  My BP guns, except for my trade gun, have square notched rear sights and Patridge style front sight blades (flat black), which provide the contrast (and width) that I need.  At 25 - 50 yd., I hold with the top of the front sight even with the top of the rear sight (trade gun excepted of course).
Maven's experience reflects that of own, to a "T".
Flat black, or smoked, top front blade even with the top of the rear.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 04:08:19 PM »
I have flat top rear sights with a square or a "U" notch.  The front blades are all painted white on the backside.  This lets me see the sight in dark woods.  I also like plenty of white (light) around the front blade in the notch.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 04:18:35 PM »
I prefer a shallow "v" rear sight and a bead front sight.  I settle the bead in the bottom of the "V" with the target on top of the bead (Loli pop) out to 50Yds.  This sight arrangement puts me in the black at 50 Yds and about 1" high at 25 Yds.  I move my hold to 'dead on" beyond 50 Yards to put me 1" high at 75 yards, and 2" low at 100 yards which is my personal distance limit.  This hold seems to work for my 50 caliber with 90 grains of 2f, and my 54 caliber with 100 grains of 2f.  Both are hunting loads.

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 07:53:22 PM »
I have flat top rear sights with a square or a "U" notch.  The front blades are all painted white on the backside.  This lets me see the sight in dark woods.  I also like plenty of white (light) around the front blade in the notch.

:hairy The squared bottom notch offers a good sight picture! Some notches are so thin that there is no visible light to either side of the front sight; in other words the front sight occupies the entire square notch and that's not good!! I took a point file I use on aircraft magnetos and converted the V notch on my standard Hawken sight to a square notch. Much better! :toast
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 09:45:03 PM »
Wow. Hawken, you're dating yourself talking about points and magnetos. :lol sign
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 10:29:02 PM »

:hairy The squared bottom notch offers a good sight picture! Some notches are so thin that there is no visible light to either side of the front sight; in other words the front sight occupies the entire square notch and that's not good!! I took a point file I use on aircraft magnetos and converted the V notch on my standard Hawken sight to a square notch. Much better! :toast

Yep square sights or some call it pistol sights. I hold center and just adjust powder.  One load for 25 and 50 yds another for 100.
TC
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th