Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: First Muzzleloader  (Read 3358 times)

Offline ballen1900

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #807 Expires 12/01/2019
Re: First Muzzleloader
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 09:31:31 PM »
Joe,
OK, that makes sense. Should I store it (say muzzle up) with the cleaning rod, jag and dry patch left down at the breach? That might assure that there's no moisture or oil down there. Just a thought.

I made the mods to the touch-hole insert today. Also installed a new flint (Tom Fuller from TOTW) and cleaned everything with Birchwood-Casey bore cleaner and then acetone. I tried some 3F in the pan, and it fired the pan just fine, but it's dried out a lot today compared to Saturday. I can shoot on my property (only about 30 yds), but had a roofing crew here all day, so didn't want to scare the crap out 'em! Once they're done, I'll try a few shots and see if the mods make a difference.

Thanks again,
Bill

PS I assume from your moniker that you're originally from Ohio (but now Nebraska)?

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2017, 10:09:17 PM »
Should I store it (say muzzle up) with the cleaning rod, jag and dry patch left down at the breach?

No, do not leave the jagged dry patch in the bore. Patches are cotton and cotton draws moister. I'd just store the rifle, muzzle down, it won't hurt it a bit.  :bl th up

PS I assume from your moniker that you're originally from Ohio (but now Nebraska)?

That is correct. I know a bit about humidity from the 860 foot elevation I lived at in Ohio near 30 years ago. Out here in the northwest corner of Nebraska I'm at about  3700 ft. above sea level. A whole lot less humidity out here, and a nice place to live. :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline ballen1900

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 02:51:27 PM »
OK, Thanks.

I lived in Columbus from1982-1990 while going to OSU, so know Ohio pretty well. Liked it, but don't miss the winters.  :laffing Course up here in Washington, we have three seasons - July, August and Rain.

Bill

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2017, 04:18:12 PM »
In North Idaho we had four.  July, Rain, Snow and Mud.
We always enjoyed the change of seasons, especially when they don't follow any particular pattern.
The other sub season we had there was road building season but that was not in any particular place, so we'd just say, "and road building season". :lol sign

In 1967 I was stationed at Ft. Lewis from April to October.  During the summer we went over a month without rain.  People were starting to talk about drought conditions.  Really.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline ballen1900

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 07:35:05 PM »
bigsmoke,
I know. Growing up in So. Cal., hot is anything over 105 or so, but here they start complaining about the terrible heatwave when it hits 80. :laffing But then on the other side of the coin, I'm freezing my arse off when it gets below 45 and the natives just run around in tee shirts and say what nice day.... Oh well.
Bill

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 08:25:50 PM »
Bill, you're right on all accounts regarding the weather In WA State.

The other thing that likely should be mentioned regarding the weather, is the fact that Washingtonians, especially the Seattleites, are the mother of "Flip-Flops and socks", in the dead of winter.........

Can you say "Dorkey"?  :Doh!

However, it's 'the thing' amongst the younger group, as it supposedly goes well with their low slung shorts, that is always showing their underwear....Hanes, and Fruit of the Loom, have never had so much free advertising.
Jus'sayin

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline ballen1900

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2017, 07:52:38 PM »
 :laffing :laffing :laffing
Just saw yur post Russ! I crack up about all the folks on this side of the hill too. I guess they think its cool to be cold, haha! Tough guys...

Just an update on the flintlock. I think I've got things sorted out a bit better. The current flint seems to making good sparks, and drilling out and counter-sinking the touch hole bushing has made a world of difference in the speed of ignition. I also think I was over-filling the pan - it really seems to like 6 grains (2 pumps from my priming flask), which looks like way to little, but it goes off fast and reliably. I shot it a few times yesterday, and it worked very well. The weather here has been cooperating too, so that helps.

I think now I can start sighting it in at the next BP range day. BTW, what is everyone's opinion (I know everyone has one) on the sight picture for old-fashioned buckhorn sight (the adjustable one that comes with the Lyman GPR)? I know from reading that a lot of you don't like them, but that's what I've got for now. I've been trying to hold with the front sight right just filling the rear groove, but it seems to be so low that I'm completely missing the paper at 50 yds. (although from the last outing at the range, that might not be a fair judgement since I couldn't get the d**n thing to fire reliably).

Thanks,
Bill

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2017, 08:19:52 PM »
Bill, I personally like the rear fixed sight, but that's just me.  I would suggest sighting in at 25 yards first before sighting in for 50 yards. I like to end up at one inch high at 25 yards and then I use a 6-o'clock hold offhand (guessing as best I can one inch low of center) for our Annual TMA Paper Silhouette Shoot that's shot from 25 yards offhand, but again - that's just me.

My hunting rifles are sighted in for two inches high at 25 yards and at 50 yards I just aim center (perhaps shading just a bit high), and at 100 yards I then just aim (what I perceive to be) 4 inches high of center.

Now this all comes down to caliber and charge no matter if you're shooting - say a .40, .45, .50, or .54,,, but find the best load that will work for you at the distance you want to shoot and be sighted in for.

Volumes could be (and have been) wrote on this subject, but in the end it's what works best for you.  :bl th up

I'm one of those "windage & elevation" guys - taking my best guess at where to aim at different distances. After a'while it just becomes secondary and you just seem to know.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:23:55 PM by Ohio Joe »

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2017, 09:07:25 PM »
Joe, Very sage advice on the use of those GPR sights, IMHO.
I do the very same thing to a "T", been doing that for many years, and it seems to work just fine. I have no desire whatsoever to change the sighting, or try something different.
(Did we ever discuss this in years past? Somehow seems we did.)

Bill, when you say; "The current flint seems to making good sparks, and drilling out and counter-sinking the touch hole bushing has made a world of difference in the speed of ignition. I also think I was over-filling the pan - it really seems to like 6 grains (2 pumps from my priming flask), which looks like way to little, but it goes off fast and reliably." ....Those two things right there, my friend, is a little something that many will go through life looking for, even after being told that it works, and works well for most folks....

You hang in there, you're well on your way to becoming a real "Rock Lock Addict".

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2017, 09:59:45 PM »
It doesn't take a whole lot of prime.  You want the flame to come up to the touch hole.  Too much and the powder can block the flame, or even the burning powder can suck the flame away from the touch hole.  You might see what just one pump will do - I'd bet it will work just as well as two pumps.

I tried one of those priming chargers when I was in Ketchikan.  The humidity was so high that the powder in the charger would turn to paste.  I would empty it out when I got home and leave it that way until I went shooting again, and even then it would gum up and the spring inside would rust.  I gave up on it and went with a nasal spray container.  That was over 20 years ago and I still use it when I'm not priming from the horn.  Not terribly PC, but I don't think Ted Cash's charger is either (although it looks the part).

~Kees~
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 10:01:37 PM by Winter Hawk »
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2017, 11:43:33 PM »
Joe, Very sage advice on the use of those GPR sights, IMHO.
I do the very same thing to a "T", been doing that for many years, and it seems to work just fine. I have no desire whatsoever to change the sighting, or try something different.
(Did we ever discuss this in years past? Somehow seems we did.)

Uncle Russ...

Russ, I kind'a recall a discussion about this very thing sometime back. How far back escapes me, but I'm sure we had a thread on it at one time.  :shake

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2017, 07:26:46 PM »
Back to the original questions.  I forgot to mention in my last post that many folks tip the rifle so the prime ends up away from the vent, for better ignition.  I think this depends on the individual gun, and the only way to determine if you need to do it is by doing it for a while so you can compare how the rifle shoots that way with how well it functions without doing so.

Here is a photo I took today of how much primer I put in the pan.  It often is a little less, sometimes a little more.  It gives you some idea of what will work.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

My experience with an adjustable rear sight has been that, somehow, it will get adjusted out.  I've done it when cleaning the rifle and wanting to make sure the barrel is greased under the sight.  In fact, (and this is a true story!) I missed the Easter Bunny by just that process.  I had raised the rear sight to get a greased patch under it, then neglected to bring it back down.  Several days later I walked out of the cabin and saw a bunny - well, varying hare (Snowshoe Rabbit) but let's not split hairs - sitting about 20 yards away.  I duck back inside, grab the rifle, step out, get a firm rest and touch off my first shot.  Bunny doesn't move.  Reload and try again.  Bunny still does nothing.  Once more into the breach and this time the little guy hops on down the bunny trail.  I figured with such a charmed life, it must have been the Easter Bunny!  :laffing  Only then did I notice the rear sight was at maximum elevation.  :Doh!  So I prefer fixed sights which are a lot harder to get out of adjustment!

~Kees~
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 07:56:31 PM by Winter Hawk »
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2017, 12:47:15 PM »
Say Bill (ballen1900), I was just doing some clean up and going through some stuff on my desk and I found one of my old Lyman GPR User Guides.  Anyway, on page 5 they show the flint edge to the Frizzen facing up (like, you, me, and who knows how many more GPR Flintlock owners probably do).  Just thought it was interesting and would pass it on.

Sounds like those flint wow's may be a thing in the past for you. Good to read your last outing was successful.   :bl th up

Hope everyone enjoys a happy Christmas and great New Year!!!  :shake

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2017, 02:57:17 PM »
I just never worry about tipping the rifle to get prime in the right place.  To keep it there one would have to carefully tote the rifle in a particular position which is impossible in the bush.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2017, 03:33:22 PM »
I just never worry about tipping the rifle to get prime in the right place.  To keep it there one would have to carefully tote the rifle in a particular position which is impossible in the bush.

That's a good point, Hanshi. I don't worry about it either, I just use what works for me and not worry about it.  :bl th up