Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Screwdriver to fit cock jaws (to prevent loose flints)  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
Screwdriver to fit cock jaws (to prevent loose flints)
« on: January 25, 2018, 03:37:58 PM »
Someone on another forum mentioned he was having a problem with loose flints, mostly because he couldn't find the right size screwdriver to fit the bolt on the cock. Suggestions were to modify the slot in said bolt or drill a hole through it so he could use a nail, pc. of rod to tighten it.  I'm sure many of us have had this happen, but there may be an easier solution.  To wit, here's a screwdriver, which fits both the bolt on the cock and those holding the lock itself...and the price is right:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Craftsman-4-Way-Screwdriver-Keychain-Slotted-Flat-Key-Driver-Tools-4160/994529916?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=6334&adid=22222222227135812079&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=244142237910&wl4=pla-401115711290&wl5=9004747&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115062448&wl11=online&wl12=994529916&wl13=&veh=sem  Btw, I had 2 of them, but lost one on a woods walk, and always carry the remaining one with me in my FL hunting pouch, as it takes up little room to speak of.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Screwdriver to fit cock jaws (to prevent loose flints)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 04:09:07 PM »
Pretty neat little tool.
I would also suggest
Ace Hardware as a source for Craftsman tools as well as OSH or Sears.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline mark/wi

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 05:57:13 PM »
small and easy to carry. Mark

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 06:49:08 PM »
I'm going to order a few more so I won't have to worry about losing another one.  Btw, our Sears is in the process of closing and liquidating its inventory, but I didn't see one of those gizmos last time I was there.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 08:39:06 PM »
I have one of those my dad gave me on a key Ring way back when I was 16 years old when I got my drivers licence. It was made by; The H.C. Cook CO., Ansonia, Conn.  The other side is marked; Massey - Harris Farm Machinery... I'll never part with it, and should have passed it on to my son, (which I will do).
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 12:46:43 AM »
I do drill a hole through each of mine,.... you can really put some tork on 'em that way.  :hairy

A 16D nail works good to stick through the hole,.... I cut the heads and points off the nails and round'em a little on both ends (on a grinder).  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 01:39:00 PM »

Anyone who wants one better get on the stick, as Sears is circling the drain (on it's way out of business).  :Doh!

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 03:01:13 PM »
I do drill a hole through each of mine,.... you can really put some tork on 'em that way.  :hairy

A 16D nail works good to stick through the hole,.... I cut the heads and points off the nails and round'em a little on both ends (on a grinder).  :)

I think the hole is so much better as well.  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 03:31:50 PM »

A 16D nail works good to stick through the hole

I wonder why the "D" is used to signify Penny?  Anyone know the origin of that??
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 04:00:34 AM »

A 16D nail works good to stick through the hole

I wonder why the "D" is used to signify Penny?  Anyone know the origin of that??
As a retired carpenter, I asked that question years ago and was told that back when nails were hand forged the symbol for "penny" was a capital "D". Supposedly forged nails could be bought by the hundred-count and the cost (per hundred) indicated the "size" of the nails being bought.

I don't know if that's true or not though.  :bl th up :)   
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline wattlebuster

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member #223 Expiration Date 08/13/18
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 08:50:28 AM »
I drill a hole thru my jaw screw on each of my flint guns an in my acc tin which is in my bag I keep a piece of welding rod cut to about 2 inches. It aint HC but its what works for me an you can get several pieces out of one rod
Pleasure is the feel of a fine handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a still frosty morning
Member # 223
Membership Exp 08/13/18
Member NMLRA
member CLA

Offline Flint62Smoothie

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: #260 Exp.11/17/2019
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into a ragged ~1/2" hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd or other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 02:52:31 PM »
‘D’ penny nails ...

Link = http://www.packinc.com/2015/09/why-nail-size-called-penny-why-symbol-d/
Well that pretty much backs up what I was told, by a general contractor I started working for when I was 14 years old.  :bl th up
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 03:50:40 PM »
Just an update on the coin sized screwdriver:  My local Sears had none, but I found one via Google on the Walmart site (actually a vendor who sells through WM) and ordered 2...just so I have spares.  They delivered it ASAP @ $4.95 ea. with free shipping, which I really like.  While I realize the price I paid is high considering they were once give-aways, I'm happy with the product.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 04:33:30 PM »
Just an update on the coin sized screwdriver:  My local Sears had none, but I found one via Google on the Walmart site (actually a vendor who sells through WM) and ordered 2...just so I have spares.  They delivered it ASAP @ $4.95 ea. with free shipping, which I really like.  While I realize the price I paid is high considering they were once give-aways, I'm happy with the product.

Maven, that little tool you're talking about is indeed a great little tool.
As far as paying to much, that's really debatable.
Not all screw drivers are based on just a small round circle, with a choice of 4 different sizes and having the "power" that little circle provides while using just the thumb and forefinger. I have actually 'stripped' a few flat head screws with that little thing...That little tool is a pretty clever invention.

Plus, at least to me, it's hard to even imagine carrying four long handled screwdrivers in my shooting bag just for what that one little device will do. It's not like you need a screwdriver on every shot you take, but you will eventually need one, and being small and compact, that little Craftsman's is the "cat's-meow" for those times.

I have 3 or 4, or maybe even more than that in different bags, and the one I carry on my Key Chain. :P

I also have another little tool that goes with me everywhere I go, if I'm driving the truck.
It's on my Truck Keys, just like that little round screwdriver. It's called a P-38, and although it was never designed to be a screwdriver, I don't think, it has served that purpose well for many years.....here! I just took a picture of what I'm referring to.

BTW: I liked that link on "D" vs Penny Nails....like many others I have heard of this before, but it was never clear as to which was which. 

(Sorry about those stupid little "flash tags" on the Key chain, but it seems they have become almost a necessity for Veteran Discounts, and I sure ain't to proud to take the discounts if I've earned them.)

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4