Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 2018 Mike Fink "Partner Up" Match  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
Re: 2018 Mike Fink "Partner Up" Match
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2018, 11:47:36 AM »
Funny thing as I just made some copies of that target last night:  one to hang on the wall in my basement to practice aiming and dry firing my FL, the other two for range practice prior to firing for record.  Believe me Sharp Stick, I've had target issues as well. :Doh!

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2018, 08:19:50 PM »
We both swore we wouldn't ventilate Mike's head again ... well, at least we'd try not to. That was enough to make it official; Axe and Sharp Stick are partners for the Mike Fink Match.

You knew it was coming; you just can't have the latter without the former.  ;D

Now I gotta practice so I don't embarrass myself.
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)

Online dmarsh

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2018, 01:14:11 PM »
My target is on the way.  Not too bad for me.  Four in the cup for sure and one that I believe broke the line more than half but that will be up to Judge Joe.  Broke out my 58 caliber SMR deer rifle "Old Faithful" and she lived up to her name.  :hairy I am very happy with no -10 shots.... :lol sign

Dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2018, 06:54:33 PM »
I had a hang fire on mine, Dave + I shot Mike in the head.  Next year I think I'll use my cap lock GPR since it hardly ever misfires.  That way all I'll have to worry about is my aim! :laffing :pray:

Online dmarsh

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »
Mine has a Chamber's round face English lock on it.  I have four flintlocks with Chamber's locks on them so misfires are a thing of the past.  In my opinion Chamber's locks are the only way to go.  I have a few production guns but never use them anymore.  In the past I have gotten L&R RPL's for a couple of Thompsons but sent them directly to be tuned prior to installation.  They work fine after tuning. 
 :hairy :toast

Dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2018, 04:15:41 PM »
Got to the range this morning and shot at Mike's cup.
At 8am it was 90 degrees and 50% humidity. Kinda sticky for us "it's a dry heat' folks. I feel for y'all back there where the skeeters have to swim through the air.

Despite that, Mike is on his way to Nebraska.
No hints on how I did other than to say I'm glad Mike's still my friend.  :bl th up
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »
Got to the range this morning and shot at Mike's cup.
At 8am it was 90 degrees and 50% humidity. Kinda sticky for us "it's a dry heat' folks. I feel for y'all back there where the skeeters have to swim through the air.

Despite that, Mike is on his way to Nebraska.
No hints on how I did other than to say I'm glad Mike's still my friend.  :bl th up

Ol' Mike limped in today, Sharpstick. I don't believe he holds any grudges or ill thoughts towards ya!  :pray:
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2018, 03:52:16 PM »
Left a note to the wife this morning that I was going to the range to shoot the July target while it is still July.  First shot at a practice target was a little high but looked good.  First shot at old Mike was w-a-y left, but still on paper.  The second and third were in the cup.  Then came the horrible Klatsch. :Doh!  Wiped off the frizzen and flint face (cut flint, so you know where this is going) and tried again. Klatsch again.  Tried to dump the prime and it wasn't budging, so I figured it had gotten wet somehow so wiped out the pan and tried again.  Another klatsch.  Okay, dumped the prime, got out the diamond hone and sharpened the flint.  Pointed the muzzle at the ground in front of me and dropped the cock to see how she sparked.  KaBOOM! :o  There must have been a little primer left in the pan.  So I load again, sight the target and, Klatsch!  :Doh!

I've had it now.  Pulled the cut flint and put in a Tom Fuller flint, end of problems.  Last two shots were in the cup.  Hope they were up to my partner's standard, unlike last year when he carried us. :toast

Anyway, that's how the morning went.  Now I'm off to get Swiss chard in before my Sweetie gets really mad at me for having put it off for several days!    :wave

-Kees-
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online dmarsh

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2018, 07:53:43 AM »
I am not a cut flint fan.  I use Tom Fuller and Rich Pierce's white ones from Missouri.  Both are great and coupled with a Chamber's lock you can't go wrong.

:hairy  8)

Dave

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2018, 11:06:10 AM »
I am not a cut flint fan.  I use Tom Fuller and Rich Pierce's white ones from Missouri.  Both are great and coupled with a Chamber's lock you can't go wrong.

:hairy  8)

Dave

Dave, not that long ago I sent our own VP (Greyhunter, Lynn Adams) a few Rich Pierce, and a couple Tom Fuller flints. Haven't heard anything much back from him, other than a "Thank You", so I have to suspect they served him well..... His health went South on him last year so, like many of us, he may not have got to 'exercise' those flints enough to recognize their quality.

I'm pretty sure you're aware of this, but I have read of, and talked to guys,  who say they can get 70, 80, or even 100 shots from a Ton Fuller flint.
I can't do that!
I have to true-up flints after as few as 30 shots, according to the number of ball I put down range, sometimes getting a few more......but NEVER that magical 75 or 100.

I would like hear a bit more on just how happens, but those who say they do it don't know of anything special they're doing, soooo, could someone please relate just how that's done.

Uncle Russ..
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2018, 11:23:24 AM »

Dave

I'm pretty sure you're aware of this, but I have read of, and talked to guys,  who say they can get 70, 80, or even 100 shots from a Ton Fuller flint.

I would like hear a bit more on just how happens, but those who say they do it don't know of anything special they're doing, soooo, could someone please relate just how that's done.

Uncle Russ..
Dave, I'm not a fan of cut flints either, but these were dirt cheap when a local store couldn't sell them and just wanted to get them off the shelf.  Each one has a stripe down the center and several have broken along that stripe in use.

Mon Oncle, I think the lock geometry and mainspring tension are the culprits.  My Deer Creek Hodge-podge rifle has the small Spanish CVA lock and the Tom Fuller flints last, seemingly forever in it.  My T-C with a L&R replacement lock is a lot harder on flints.  The cock also falls with a lot more authority than the CVA and the flint has a different angle at which it strikes the frizzen.
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online dmarsh

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2018, 10:26:43 AM »
I have never counted so I am not sure how many shots I get out of flints.  I would guess maybe 30 - 50 but not sure.  I replace them before they fail when they start looking like they need some attention.  Re-sharpening flints is something I have not been successful at. :laffing

Dave

Offline blackpowderbill

• TMA Forum Member
    • BlackPowderBill Blog & Sales
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2018, 08:07:55 PM »
I have a flint that has over 100 hits on it! Yepper it was hand napped by Justin Cook/Fla. at the Horace Kephart event last May.

It is real short now. I'm looking at a way to glue it on leather so it can be pushed out to get me to 125 strikes.

Most of the time I can get 50 plus unless one blows up on me.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2018, 09:41:14 PM »
Try hot melt glue Bill. I often put a dab on odd-shaped flints so that they'll hold in the lock better. You may have to re-tighten them on occasion.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Mad Irish Jack

• Rangers of the Ohio Company
  • TMA Member: Tma Member #796
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2018, 02:19:48 PM »
 :pray: :Doh! :o  OOooooppps!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
   The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.