Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Tell me more about the character of TMA's relationship with other organizations  (Read 2938 times)

Offline In Over My Head

• TMA Forum Member
  • Claude Heale
From time to time it occurs to me that I've been lurking here too long and ought to buy a membership, and because my income is seasonal this is when I would do that.  I like the mission of promoting >traditional< muzzleloading and I like the character of the members here.  But before I leap, I would like to know a bit more of the backstory of TMA.

As a past director of a major state-level NRA affiliate, I know well how differences of opinion can lead to formation of divisive splinter groups who dilute and confound the mission of the larger organization.  But I also know that side-shoot special interest groups can work harmoniously with the larger organization,  broaden public exposure for the benefit of both organizations and enrich the programs in their special niche.

So I ask:  How do TMA and its members relate to NMLRA?  Does TMA see itself as supplementing NMLRA or supplanting it?  What was in the minds of the founders of TMA, a repudiation of or alternative to NMLRA or a symbiotic effort to focus your personal energies on >traditional< muzzleloading in harmony with the larger, more diverse organization?

If anyone is kind enough to answer this, I hope you will make it clear whether you are speaking for the organization or just for yourself.  Thanks!

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Quote from: In Over My Head
So I ask:  How do TMA and its members relate to NMLRA?
There is no "relationship' between the TMA and the NMLRA.

Although some of our members belong to both organizations. 

Does TMA see itself as supplementing NMLRA or supplanting it?
Neither actually.

What was in the minds of the founders of TMA, a repudiation of or alternative to NMLRA or a symbiotic effort to focus your personal energies on >traditional< muzzleloading in harmony with the larger, more diverse organization?
Please take notice of the word "traditional" in the TMA's name, that in itself defines how the TMA and the NMLRA differ.
Also,.... the TMA's dedication to traditional muzzleloading discourages the involvement, or inclusion, of such (non-traditional) things as modern, plastic sabots, inlines, scopes, and etc., all of which are acceptable to the NMLRA.

I hope this answers the questions you asked, and if not, I'm sure other TMA "founders" will expand on what I've said. 

Corporation BY-LAWS of:

TRADITIONAL MUZZLELOADING ASSOCIATION, INC.

ARTICLE I

MISSION STATEMENT, DEDICATION

Section 1.   MISSION STATEMENT.   It is the mission of the Traditional Muzzleloading Association to endorse and promote the use of all traditional muzzle loading rifles, muskets, smoothbores, cannons and pistols, using flint, percussion cap, match and fuse ignition, only, as the case may be.

The Traditional Muzzleloading Association defines a "traditional muzzleloader” as one being the same, or similar, in design, function, materials and components to those used in the construction of original muzzle loading firearms prior to the year A.D. 1900.
TRADITIONAL MUZZLELOADING ASSOCIATION, INC.

"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline In Over My Head

• TMA Forum Member
  • Claude Heale
This sounds perfectly satisfactory and was pretty much the reply I hoped to hear.

Because you have such ambitious programs - such as supplying smokepoles to youth groups, outreach to the public, monitoring legislation - it sounded like you may have been formed as a competitor to NMLRA.  But, per your explanation, you are just a group of like minded individuals with a special interest (which very much appeals to me) and an ambitious mission. 

:hairy

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
i will speak solely for myself.

my own personal opinion is that with the NMLRA's recent change of policy and goals it is clear to me that they are no longer the same organization from many decades ago whence it was formed.  i also have my own personal opinions as to why the NMLRA made such drastic changes to their core focus and goals.  as a result, i am no longer an NMLRA member.  to my current knowledge, the TMA is thankfully the only 101% national traditional muzzleloading association in the USA.