Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Your openion - what to order  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Swamppanther

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Active Member
  • TMA Member: TMA #801
Your openion - what to order
« on: June 09, 2018, 09:42:29 AM »
My wife kinda gave me the go ahead so . . .I am gonna get me a .32 flint squirrel gun from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading. The Tennessee (basic).
I am getting the swamped barrel with radius rifling. I am thinking 42 inch for barrel. They offer 38 or 42.  Any thoughts?
USMC Life - Siemper Fi
NRA Life

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Your openion - what to order
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 10:30:49 AM »
If the choice was mine,.... I'd go with the 38" barrel, because of my torn rotator cuffs.

Other than that, I'd find it hard to decide which length to go with.  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 11:21:39 AM »
I fined the 38 a little nicer hadling in the squirrel woods.There's not so much to swing around when pointing up at the squirrels in the trees.Evon with a swamped barrel.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 02:48:44 PM »
My wife kinda gave me the go ahead so . . .I am gonna get me a .32 flint squirrel gun from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading. The Tennessee (basic).
I am getting the swamped barrel with radius rifling. I am thinking 42 inch for barrel. They offer 38 or 42.  Any thoughts?

Some years back I built a 38" barreled muzzle loading rifle for a friend of mine - while at the same time building myself a 42" barreled ml rifle... Well, when all said and done, I liked that 38" barreled rifle a whole lot better for loading and handling. My personal choice would be 38 inches.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 02:57:45 AM »

:hairy

I love the way your wife thinks!
I love whatcha thinkin about doing too...a honest to goodness 'Skwerl' Rifle....now that truly shines!

My own Skwerl Rifle is bit heavy for the work at hand, being that it's in .45 cal, but I have gotten lucky and taken a few nut crackers with it...there was none of the destruction I expected and I've read about, and not all were head shots.

It also sports a 42" barrel and there's been times I wished that barrel was a tad shorter.
It's a very early model Pedersoli "Pennsylvania Long Rifle", from 2000 or 2001, if I remember correctly,  there are not that many around that I'm aware of. They were obviously poor sellers, probably due to the price back then, but mine is a good shooter and that's all I care about.

Mention of that Swamped Barrel sure put the old mind to thinking on some other builds.

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 03:20:40 PM »
The shorter barrel is handier but for me the greatest advantage is in loading the gun. The longer barrels are often above the line of sight when standing upright, it is hard to see what you are doing and awkward to reach up to load. You end up leaning the gun to load, which is also awkward and sometimes unsafe.

IMHO you will be happier with the shorter barrel.

IronHand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 01:51:25 PM »
I'd go with 42" swamped. Longer sight radius, also better resale value. It will look sleeker when sporting a longer barrel, TVM tends to leave a lot of wood on the forearm (more than what many originals and other custom guns have, so the longer barrel will look better in that small caliber). Loading a 42 inch long barreled gun is not difficult. I am 5 ft 11" and have no problem loading my guns with 46 inch long barrels. And I use em for tree rats and also birds, and they swing just fine.

Happy future hunting!

K
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 01:55:08 PM by AxelP »

Offline Eric Krewson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 09:55:11 AM »
If you use an A weight barrel you can go long and still have a nice handling rifle. I just built a .32 Kibler kit rifle with a 46" A weight barrel. If I put my thumb and forefinger around barrel at mid point, the circle I make with my fingers is not much larger in diameter than a quarter.