Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Some Pictures From 2018 Chadron Fur Trade Days  (Read 9511 times)

Online Two Steps

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
Re: Some Pictures From 2018 Chadron Fur Trade Days
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 06:27:53 PM »
Yeah Al, what's a 1700 mile trip
Not a problem Hank...just a ride in the park...as long as you're driving!  :bl th up
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 07:37:05 PM »
I've added a few more pictures. Kinda wish this event stretched out a few more days. I never get to shoot in the Archery Competition and Hawk throw anymore as the time lines just don't work very well. May have to bring this up at the Winter meeting. Regardless, it's still lots of fun!  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 10:26:08 PM »
Here's a few more sketches of the Chadron Fur Trade rondy,.........

Looking south from my camp, the canyon makes a curve to the right and there are more camps around the curve.

Cooking contest and potluck.

More camps to the northwest.

Norm,.... our Booshway in the red shirt and hat.

One of our (2) TMA Head Quarters.  :)

Rollingb's primitive camp.

Kids playing tug-of-war.

Finishing up our camp supper.

"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 10:44:04 PM »
Thanks for the photos!  Where I was in Alaska there weren't any rendezvous(es?) so I didn't get to participate.  Now that I'm in Ohio my family duties keep me pretty much at home so trying a 'voos is out again.  I sure thank you for letting folks like me share a little in the "doings".  :toast

One thing that stands out is that, except for the kids, there sure seems to be a lot of grey & white hair there.  What happened to the in-between age group?  Did I just miss them?  Joe looks like the youngster there, and I know he isn't a spring chicken anymore!   :laffing

-Kees-
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 10:54:08 PM »
There were some 30-40 year-old fellas and gals there :),.... I just couldn't catch up with'em long enough to take their pitchers.  :o ;)
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2018, 06:17:51 AM »
Great pics Rondo, thanks.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2024
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 08:08:38 AM »
There were some 30-40 year-old fellas and gals there :),.... I just couldn't catch up with'em long enough to take their pitchers.  :o ;)

:lol sign

Winter Hawk, Rondy keeps a feller looking young.  :applaud  :*:

Thanks for the pictures, Rondo!  :toast :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 10:04:01 PM »
I like Rondo's camp.  Nice & simple. 

I've thought about making a Forester tent if I can get some light canvas.  Looking at painter's tarps to cut up, 6 or 8 ounce fabric.  As shown in "On Your Own in the Wilderness" by Bradford Angier and Townsend Whelen.  But first I need to finish the canoe I'm building, and get the log splitter working again, and get in firewood, the list goes on...  :Doh!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2018, 01:07:18 AM »
I like Rondo's camp.  Nice & simple. 

I've thought about making a Forester tent if I can get some light canvas.  Looking at painter's tarps to cut up, 6 or 8 ounce fabric.  As shown in "On Your Own in the Wilderness" by Bradford Angier and Townsend Whelen.  But first I need to finish the canoe I'm building, and get the log splitter working again, and get in firewood, the list goes on...  :Doh!

~Kees~
It is pretty simple, and I have used that set-up many times in years past.  :bl th up

All one needs is an 8' X 10' tarp, some poles that can be found in the area, some rope, and something to sleep on.

I use an 8' X 10' Oil Cloth (that I made) for a ground cloth and a wool blanket for my bed.

If it rains, I can scoot further towards the rear of the lean-to and flip the outer edge of the Oil Cloth up and over me to keep dry. Kind'a like a "taco" when it's layin' on it's side. :laffing

When out on juants in the wild where weight can be an issue, I would have left the buffalo robe at home, but since we hauled stuff into camp with our truck and trailer I placed a robe on the Oil Cloth (PLUS the wool blanket) to demonstrate how a simple cold weather shelter can be set up.  :bl th up

NOTE:.... an additional wool blanket can be used in place of the buffalo robe, and packs MUCH "smaller and lighter".
A fact quickly noticed by many of the Mountain and Plains Indians, living nomadic lives in the West, during that time. :bl th up 

TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2018, 01:21:53 PM »

One thing that stands out is that, except for the kids, there sure seems to be a lot of grey & white hair there. 
-Kees-

That is something I have noticed over the years myself.  I have heard that fact discussed many times in just the general gun world, that it is a graying sport.  And especially so in the rendezvous portion of it.  I think that has to do with 70+ year old bodies sleeping on the ground, midnight runs to the hooters, etc.
Maybe 8 or 9 years ago, I went to a rendezvous in the California Gold Rush Country and I was purely amazed.  What used to be a massive event had downsized drastically.  Except for the traders, I did not see one bit of canvas.  And there were only 7 traders in evidence.  Used to be lined up on both sides of the road the length of the meadow and then some.  The few tents that were there were modern.  Big whoop !!!  Instead of tents, there were motor homes, trailers and truck campers.  The whole situation was quite depressing to me, as back in the 70's, this RDV was a big deal.  Not no more.  Have thought about going back to it, but no, I don't think so.  Too depressing.  And too many old people hanging around.  Oh wait, that's us, isn't it?  Plus, the little town that it was held at seems to be about three steps away from becoming a ghost town.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 01:25:04 PM by bigsmoke »
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life