Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Northwest trade gun  (Read 941 times)

Offline Cody Bill

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: #815 expires; 8/3/2019
Northwest trade gun
« on: August 03, 2018, 11:31:06 PM »
Hello, glade I found this site seems like my kind of people hang here. I’m new to the forum but not muzzleloading. I’ve had the bug since I was a child. Been shooting for close to 25 years. Actually I’m pretty sure the picture at the top of the page of the man firing his rifle is a friend of mine and the president of our local club. Anyway on to my topic. I’ve been looking to buy or possibly have built a northwest gun. I’d really like to find a North Star West or a correct copy of an original. If anyone would know where there’s one to be had I would like to know. If not could I get recommendations on a builder who’s familiar with this style of gun and could build a correct copy. Any information would be appreciated.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Northwest trade gun
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 12:41:03 AM »
Welcome Cody Bill. I'm sure someone will be along soon with some info for you. Matt sure made some good ones. Wish I'd of ordered one years ago from him when we shared a Rendezvous camp over at Chadron Fur Trade Days many years ago, but at that time I just didn't have the funds to spare. Welcome to the camp  :shake :*:
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 12:48:08 AM »
Cody Bill,.... WELCOME to our TMA site.  :shake
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 06:13:53 AM »
welcome james!  :wave :bl th up :*:

my "go to" gunmaker is tip curtis down in tennessee.  he's a stellar gunmaker with a stellar reputation.  i've bought several long guns from tip and each were truly gems.  highly recommended.  tip doesn't have a website, he does have a shop, an email address, and a phone number ...

TIP CURTIS FRONTIER SHOP
P.O. Box 203, Cross Plains, TN 37049
(615) 654-444
tipcurtis@bellsouth.net

Offline Cody Bill

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 09:53:47 AM »
Thanks for the fast reply’s. Joe, Matt did make a good one. I wish there was someone who would pick up where he left off.

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 10:48:44 AM »
CB, There's an outside chance that Waksupi (Ric Carter), who worked for Matt until NSW closed its doors, may have enough parts squirreled away to build one for you.  Waksupi ("bead worker") is the screen name he uses on all forums and posts here on occasion, but also on the Cast Boolits site, where you can PM him.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 11:03:07 AM »
Clay Smith offers an authentic copy of several types of Trade Guns, he also offers "kits" if you wish to build your own.  :bl th up
They're a bit expensive (in my opinion) but since Matt had to close up shop, sources are more limited.
https://www.claysmithguns.com/Trade_gun_kits.htm

Sitting Fox is another source for finished guns and kits, but I'm not sure how much they follow the originals in detail.
http://sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/k-40/

"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 02:12:23 PM »
Hello, glade I found this site seems like my kind of people hang here. I’m new to the forum but not muzzleloading. I’ve had the bug since I was a child. Been shooting for close to 25 years. Actually I’m pretty sure the picture at the top of the page of the man firing his rifle is a friend of mine and the president of our local club. Anyway on to my topic. I’ve been looking to buy or possibly have built a northwest gun. I’d really like to find a North Star West or a correct copy of an original. If anyone would know where there’s one to be had I would like to know. If not could I get recommendations on a builder who’s familiar with this style of gun and could build a correct copy. Any information would be appreciated.

Greetings Cody Bill, glad ya decided to spend some time with us.  :bl th up

In reference to "Trade Guns"....is there a preference in the wood, Maple vs Walnut?
The link Rondo provided to "Sitting Fox" allows you to make that choice, at what I think is a very reasonable cost difference.

I owned a Trade Gun once, but we didn't get to know each other very well before she got traded off.....You all know how that goes, right?

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Cody Bill

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 04:43:45 PM »
Thanks again for the reply’s. I’ve looked at most all of the sites mentioned plus a few more. I’ve ordered from Clay before and no doubt he builds an excellent gun but he only offers the early model. As for sitting fox I may call them. My concern is how close they are to the originals. I’m no expert on these guns but from what I have seen I don’t believe there’s barells have the correct profile, which is important to me.