Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Safely loading the versatile smoothbore  (Read 1260 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Safely loading the versatile smoothbore
« on: January 21, 2019, 03:01:07 PM »
This topic is kind of an offshoot of a previous thread where safe loading of flintlocks and percussion guns was the topic.

Unlike percussion and flintlock rifles,... where a lubed patched roundball seated upon a charge of black powder is normal procedure, smoothbores can be a different animal altogether.
Sure,.... a lubed patched round ball can be loaded in a smoothbore (pretty much the same as in a rifle), but what about all the other ways a smoothbore can be loaded?
(We can get into "Buck'N Ball", and "shot loads", in another thread.)

Just off the top of my head, I can think of a few different ways a smoothbore can/might be loaded,....

1. Powder,... lubed wad,.... ball,.... card wad.
2. Powder,.... wad,............ ball,.... card wad.
3. Powder,.... wad,............ ball,.... tow or blanket wadding.
4. Powder,.... tow,............. ball,.... card wad.
5. Powder,........................ ball,.... tow or blanket, grass, leather, and even tree leaves
    for wadding.
6. Powder,........................ ball,..... and nothing except the fouling (from
    previous shots) to keep the ball in place on the powder charge.

From the research I've done (mostly by reading old journals) it seems as though #5,... and #6, were pretty much typical "back in the day".

Of course "ball size" plays a big role in how accurate the above loads shoot, and balls can range anywhere from a measly few "thousands" smaller than bore size,.... to 0.020" smaller than bore size, and achieve a passable form of accuracy out to 50+ yards that can rival a rifled bore.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this, as well as YOUR favorite technique when loading your smoothbore.
Due to cold weather and old bones, I haven't got much load testing done this winter.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Safely loading the versatile smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 05:35:43 PM »
Haven't really done a lot of smoothbore shooting, but I usually loaded it like a rifle, powder, patched ball, prime and boom.  Did that with a t/C New Englander with the 12 bore barrel and the group rivaled anything I ever shot with a rifle at 50 yards.  Scary accurate.  Couldn't see any reason to try any other method.
In full disclosure, I did have a rear sight on it.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 09:02:10 PM »
Good topic thread, Rondo!  :bl th up

As you know, that smoothie I bought from you back in 2017 at Chadron Fur Trade Days - paid off for a 3rd place finish at the 2018 FTD Rondy ('course remember they at first said I finished 1st in the SB Shoot and I said "Really???" They then realized they had made a mistake and it was a 3rd place finish,,, (again me with, "Really?"  :laffing

What worked for me that day last year at CFT was;

80 grains 2fg - spit paper wad - .570 ball - spit paper wad top of ball - 2fg prime - (I hit 3 stationary targets from different yardages)

-and-

80 grains 2fg - spit paper wad - 7/8 oz shot - spit paper wad - 2fg prime (hit both my flying clay pigeons & splattered my Turkey target)

I might note this was my best guess for a load as I had not shot any flying clay pigeons or a Turkey paper target with "shot" out of that smoothie until that day) - I was pretty happy for just guessing on this load, for being the first time at shooting "shot"...

Now I can hardly wait to get out and shoot that smoothie since the topic is up here  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 09:44:54 PM »
Good information there Joe. :bl th up

When my rib quits hurtin' and the weather here warms up a bit, I'm gonna be playin' around with some bare-ball loads, in a search to duplicate some of the loads mentioned in the journals I've read. :) :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 04:51:37 PM »
Hey there.
I have a .75 cal  flint trade gun that I have only shot a few times. Now, however, it is time to get serious with it and start putting meat on the table. I have killed a half dozen deer or so with my .60 cal Jaeger, but missed (flinched) badly with the only shot I had with the .75 cal.

My question is about suggested powder loads for the beast? I have not had tome to test different loads, and I have seen everything from 80 grains of ffg to 120 grains.

I also really like the thought of using tow instead of a patch. How well does that work?

Thanks.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 05:03:58 PM »
The TMA has some good smoothbore shooters and I'm sure some of them will be along with some info. My smoothbore is a 24 ga / .58 caliber flintlock (an old Pedersoli) and it likes 80 grains 2fg, ball, and a spit newspaper wad... When I shoot shot - my load is 80 grains 2fg, newspaper wad, 7/8 oz shot, spit newspaper wad...

I've also played around with 1fg powder, and found it works pretty good also. That's about the extent of my knowledge as I've only been shooting a smoothy for two years. I've always been a rifleman before I got that smoothy, and they're fun to shoot IMHO... :hairy

By the way, welcome to the TMA!  :shake

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 06:50:53 PM »
Can you tell me more about the spit newspaper wad? I've never heard of using newspaper, but would love to know more.

Thanks
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 08:47:12 PM »
Well, I might be the only one who does it, but I take a piece of newspaper that's about 4 x 4 inches and slobber on it and roll it up into a wet ball and send it down the bore and pack it down. Seems to work good (at least good enough) for me. I wouldn't use magazine grade paper / but newspaper does wad up good.

:toast :shake

Good topic thread, Rondo!  :bl th up

As you know, that smoothie I bought from you back in 2017 at Chadron Fur Trade Days - paid off for a 3rd place finish at the 2018 FTD Rondy ('course remember they at first said I finished 1st in the SB Shoot and I said "Really???" They then realized they had made a mistake and it was a 3rd place finish,,, (again me with, "Really?"  :laffing

What worked for me that day last year at CFT was;

80 grains 2fg - spit paper wad - .570 ball - spit paper wad top of ball - 2fg prime - (I hit 3 stationary targets from different yardages)

-and-

80 grains 2fg - spit paper wad - 7/8 oz shot - spit paper wad - 2fg prime (hit both my flying clay pigeons & splattered my Turkey target)

I might note this was my best guess for a load as I had not shot any flying clay pigeons or a Turkey paper target with "shot" out of that smoothie until that day) - I was pretty happy for just guessing on this load, for being the first time at shooting "shot"...

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 09:56:58 PM »
Get the Sunday paper Joe. The comics are much tastier. :Doh! :lol sign
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 10:11:16 PM »
Get the Sunday paper Joe. The comics are much tastier. :Doh! :lol sign

Yes, the red color has a hint of strawberry, while the yellow I believe I'm tasting banana? My wife does say fruits are good for me. Try a page or two, you might just like it.  :laffing

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 10:16:39 AM »
Thanks. Sounds delicious...might have to start subscribing to the local rag again...lol.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 11:23:44 AM »
 :lol sign  Muzzle loading health food...  :lol sign

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 11:51:47 AM »
 :lol sign :lol sign :lol sign :lol sign :lol sign :lol sign :lol sign
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 04:10:25 PM »
I just sent off to Track for some balls, over powder wads & top (over ball) wads to get the new .62 barrel broke in.  I'll save the Sunday funnies from now on to ruminate into cushion wads....  :applaud :applaud :applaud

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025