Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Yet another .45  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Yet another .45
« on: April 11, 2019, 11:34:45 PM »
Here's a rifle of mine that gets very little use anymore. Not because there's anything wrong with it, I just haven't shot it much since ol' Candle Snuffer became my favorite many years ago, which at that point this rifle became my back-up rifle when my late friend - Jim Potter, and I use to go to the Nebraska State Muzzleloading Shoot.

Naturally this rifle always made the trip with me to State Shoot but I don't believe I ever used it once while there. I would take it along just in case I needed a backup rifle for offhand or x-stick shooting. I never did...

This rifle is; Hard Rock Maple Stock, 15/16" x 36" x .45 caliber Green Mnt. Barrel,,, Large Siler Lock,,, 10 lbs... It also has what I feel is a very lite trigger pull (about 2.5 oz)...

I'm going to have to start giving this rifle some Range time again. It's zeroed for 50 and 100 yards with what I call my "Castle Rear Sight" which means it has a second level tier above the "V" Notch for 100 yards, and the lower tier at the top of the "V" Notch is for 50 yards and you can bury the top of the front brass blade in the base of the "V" Notch for 25 yard shooting.  If I recall, it works pretty darn good.

If the weather would ever get nice and stay nice, I'd be tempted to use this rifle for our TMA 50 yard Offhand Monthly Postal Matches. Heck, I might even use it for our Championship Silhouette Competition?

Anyway, just thought I'd share another of one of my "purpose" rifles.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: Yet another .45
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 02:26:20 AM »
 I really like the looks of that rifle!   :toast

IMHO, That rifle looks very much like many other "preferred" silhouette rifles that were to be found on the ranges back in the late 1980s up into the 1990s around Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico.
I have to think it may have been about the same in Nebraska.

Good looking rifle, Joe
If'fn, you should ever grow tired of the old girl, ya got my number.

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 09:26:57 AM »
I really like the looks of that rifle!   :toast

IMHO, That rifle looks very much like many other "preferred" silhouette rifles that were to be found on the ranges back in the late 1980s up into the 1990s around Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico.
I have to think it may have been about the same in Nebraska.

Good looking rifle, Joe
If'fn, you should ever grow tired of the old girl, ya got my number.

It does hang well offhand, and I think it would make a good silhouette rifle. I do wonder however that maybe a .50 caliber or better might be best for silhouettes? Now for shooting gongs out to 100 yards, it's great! You come visit me and we'll get ol' Rondo up here as well, and we'll make a day or two (or three) of it at the local Range ringing the gongs.  :shake

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 10:03:41 AM »
That's a handsome rifle gun there Joe, single set trigger?
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 11:55:56 AM »
Thank you Beaverman.  :shake

No, it's not a single set trigger - it's one of my own design where I slant the top blade of the trigger release downward towards the rear - right under the Sear, which allows for a lite release.

Though through trial and error and filing, one can pretty much get the desired trigger weight they are happy with. I like mine anywhere from 2.5 to 3.5 trigger pull weight. A screw can also be added to the trigger plate to further any adjustments needed or preferred, but I seldom do this.

I'm cheap, I've been making my own triggers this way for a long time... :laffing

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 04:33:28 PM »
Thanks I've done a few that way myself, usually on cheap pistols that i have flipped although I did make a complete new trigger and tweeked it for that India made Baker rifle that Puffer bought many years ago, turned out pretty sweet, once the trigger was made, filed, polished and tuned the lock and he changed out the barrel for an Ed Rayle, that thing actually became a good shooter! :toast
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 08:26:47 PM »
I updated my original post to read that this rifle weighs 10 pounds. I had it out in the workshop this afternoon as I had to widen the "V" notch (aging eyes), so while out there I set it on the scales; 10 pounds on the nose!

Anyway, I can now see my front sight better after widening the v-notch... If the wind ever quits blowing to the point it won't blow me off my feet from the firing line, I'll get out to the Range and do some shooting with this rifle. Maybe tomorrow???  :pray: