Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Another Observation  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
Another Observation
« on: May 15, 2019, 11:01:59 PM »
I went to the range 2 days ago with 4 of my favorite modern firearms. I've had them for years but I hadn't fired even one after I got my T/C Hawken .45 Muzzleloader. i fired around 250 rnds altogether, packed up went home feeling vaguely dissatisfied. while I was cleaning them, I kept thinking "If I sell this one and those, I'd make enough to buy high-end .32 Flintlock and maybe a .36 Filintlock, too."  The bottom line is I selected two modern carbines and  2 modern handguns to keep and sell the rest for more muzzleloaders. Friends, is this normal or even common?
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
  • Oft muß Mann "zum Teufel damit"
    • reenactor.Net
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #819. Membership expiration 11/24/2022
Re: Another Observation
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 11:40:35 PM »
Do what makes YOU happy.
Marsh Wise
Ah likes flintlocks, but any gun is good -- okay, guns that hurt to shoot aren't good.

Head Village Idiot at www.reenactor.Net and www.romanobritain.org

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 12:51:16 AM »
Yeah, I need to thin my herd down as well, Nessmuk... It'll make a good winter project for who gets what, and what gets sold.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 06:50:26 AM »
You must be reading my mail. I don't have near as many guns as you seem to, but I have started doing the same thing. And like you, I too would like a small caliber squirrel rife.

My difficulty is that my son already" thinks" that he has a nice gun collection that I am currently holding for him... :lol sign. It is time for a good father-son talk so I can disabuse him of that notion...

I have only recently come to the place where I realize that at my age I don't need to justify my desires or actions to anyone. It's a good feeling.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 01:29:54 PM »
Well said ray, I've been leaning that way myself, like Joe said time to clean out the herd, at 64 do I really need all these modern guns and when was the last time I shot them? probably time for a half dozen or so to find a new home, keep some bare bones around and buy an already built 32 flinter!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 04:21:18 PM »
... at 64 do I really need all these modern guns...."

Thank you, now I feel like a decrepit old man instead of the dashing young buck I fancy myself to be!  :luff: :bigsmile: :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 09:59:59 AM »

Shucks, I even use my .45 T/C Seneca for deer during my state's "shotgun" season, just because my state allows it as long as I buy additional "shotgun" deer tags to go along with my "muzzleloader" deer tags (all @ $7.50).

It's a good thing that I long ago took advantage of my state's provision to award senior citizens a permanent hunting/fishing license.  :lol sign

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 01:45:08 PM »
I went to the range 2 days ago with 4 of my favorite modern firearms. I've had them for years but I hadn't fired even one after I got my T/C Hawken .45 Muzzleloader. i fired around 250 rnds altogether, packed up went home feeling vaguely dissatisfied. while I was cleaning them, I kept thinking "If I sell this one and those, I'd make enough to buy high-end .32 Flintlock and maybe a .36 Filintlock, too."  The bottom line is I selected two modern carbines and  2 modern handguns to keep and sell the rest for more muzzleloaders. Friends, is this normal or even common?

Nessmuk,

I kind'a think many of us have experienced that same thing at one time or another. IMHO, that's the beauty of traditional muzzle loading in that at that one moment of the shot we have to make it count... it hones our skills to make another good following shot - rather then having several shots available to us every time we pull the trigger within seconds (or less)...

I'm not saying I don't own modern cartridge guns, I do... In the times we live it's a must with what's going on in the world today, and I've actually taught myself to make my shots with them at the same pace I do with my single shot muzzle loading firearms, trying for best accuracy with each shot...

All in all, I do prefer the ol' traditional muzzle loading firearms for the joy of shooting 90% of my time.  :yessir: 

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
Another Observation
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 05:05:05 PM »
Wow!  :o What great additions to the pass-around box this kind of stuff would be.
Now if they'd only fit in that little shipping box  ::)
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 08:22:02 PM »
Wow!  :o What great additions to the pass-around box this kind of stuff would be.

NOPE...then there'd be the whole ticklish subject of FFL's and yellow sheets and All that stuff...

As I've now aged, moved to an area that while it's quite rural, most don't hunt here due to lack of land access or they hunt their older family member's land, till they die or sell off...then they're out too...

So now I'm stuck with gun I don't/ Can't use and we don't even have gun stores here, just Pawn shops with FFLs

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 08:37:54 PM »

NOPE...then there'd be the whole ticklish subject of FFL's and yellow sheets and All that stuff...

As I've now aged, moved to an area that while it's quite rural, most don't hunt here due to lack of land access or they hunt their older family member's land, till they die or sell off...then they're out too...

So now I'm stuck with gun I don't/ Can't use and we don't even have gun stores here, just Pawn shops with FFLs

Doc, there was a time when my wife and I were first married that we thought heavily about selling out here in the west, and moving to the land of Crockett... However, my research 25+ years ago pretty much told me the story of where Tennessee was headed... Sadly it would appear they got there... What a shame...

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 01:24:14 AM »

Nessmuk,

I kind'a think many of us have experienced that same thing at one time or another. IMHO, that's the beauty of traditional muzzle loading in that at that one moment of the shot we have to make it count... it hones our skills to make another good following shot - rather then having several shots available to us every time we pull the trigger within seconds (or less)...

I'm not saying I don't own modern cartridge guns, I do... In the times we live it's a must with what's going on in the world today, and I've actually taught myself to make my shots with them at the same pace I do with my single shot muzzle loading firearms, trying for best accuracy with each shot...

All in all, I do prefer the ol' traditional muzzle loading firearms for the joy of shooting 90% of my time.  :yessir:

Joe, I agree! I'm an old Marine,one shot, one kill! no sense to waist ammo!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"