Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Waterproofing Moccasins  (Read 2843 times)

Spotted Bull

Re: Waterproofing Moccasins
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2019, 10:54:34 PM »
Most heavy leather, especially if it was vegetable tanned leather can be softened up by working the leather back and forth, twisting and wringing it. I will do that to bags I make, especially after the dye is dry. Keep adding your favorite dressing as well.

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 08:48:05 AM »
Never heard of Bumbling Bear Grease, but I like the sound of it. And, truth be told, I am not sure if I have heard of October Country, either...sorta rings a bell, but can't be sure. Regardless I am going to check both of 'em out.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
  • Oft muß Mann "zum Teufel damit"
    • reenactor.Net
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #819. Membership expiration 11/24/2022
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 09:04:24 AM »
It's a Muzzleloading company/reseller. Have not bought from them, so couldn't tell you.

As to something made with bear grease... No. It's a personal thing.
Marsh Wise
Ah likes flintlocks, but any gun is good -- okay, guns that hurt to shoot aren't good.

Head Village Idiot at www.reenactor.Net and www.romanobritain.org

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 09:08:14 AM »
.Jojoba oil and beeswax is another good  thing.  The Jojoba oil duplicates sperm whale oil.
I have never tried most of the other items above mentioned, but have no doubt that they are also good.
John
I forgot also about the jonoba oil. Sadly there's just thing I know that I'm allergic to... Yep, jojoba... Makes muy carcus break out in hives.
Marsh Wise
Ah likes flintlocks, but any gun is good -- okay, guns that hurt to shoot aren't good.

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 12:28:03 PM »
I use snowseal and a heat gun on my Navaho sliders.  They will turn black and dirty but my feet haven't gotten wet in six years of wet muddy rendezvous.   
Steve Sells

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 12:39:39 PM »
My first goal with these is to get them so they aren't rock solid. I'll give them some more Pecards today. Tempted to another jug of neatsfoot oil and fill them, let sit for a bit, then empty out. Nice leather of that thickness, that hasn't been oiled  for awhile (and that's what it seems), is hard.

I'll keep them gooped up for awhile. Well see if I get motivated to go to tractor supply. They have neatsfoot oil at a reasonable price. And, I'm pretty sure they're open on the Day of Hayzoos -- something many stores around here are not.
Marsh Wise

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 01:21:59 PM »
I like Sno-Seal.  Natural ingredients, no silicone, and it makes a dandy patch lube also.

~Kees~

Yes it does! It works quite well.

Another one, that surprised me and a lot of others very early on was Hand-cleaner, by Permatex.
(Not the one with "grit" in it....the white one with a Lanolin base)

This was something I learned from our Mexican neighbors to the South when we lived in El Paso, TX, back in the 70s and 80s....it is cheap, water clean up friendly, comes in small tins, not affected by moderate temperature changes, and those tins have hundreds of uses afterwards.
I'm pretty sure my boys in New Mexico still use it exclusively, still today, after all that is what they grew up with, but it has been several years since I shot with either of them.
The also use Sno-Seal, as it too has many useful uses in our hobby, especially since Bear grease, and Sperm oil is something of a rarity nowadays.
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 04:17:45 PM »
So, update on the mocc softening. 24 or so hours later I can say that they are definitely softer. I didn't goop up the interiors. Going rub in some more Pecards later. Good stuff that.
Marsh Wise

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2019, 06:09:31 PM »
Just visited the October Country Website...impressive black powder supply store. What I liked best was the Bumbling Bear Grease. It seems to be the "real deal."

The specs say it is half bear grease and half beeswax. That "sealed the deal" fur me... I now have a quarter pound block on the way for me to try.

Bear grease and beeswax... that sounds as HC/PC as ya could ask for...now, if it actually works...I'll keep you all informed.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2019, 06:40:22 PM »
Just visited the October Country Website...impressive black powder supply store. What I liked best was the Bumbling Bear Grease. It seems to be the "real deal."

The specs say it is half bear grease and half beeswax. That "sealed the deal" fur me... I now have a quarter pound block on the way for me to try.

Bear grease and beeswax... that sounds as HC/PC as ya could ask for...now, if it actually works...I'll keep you all informed.
Big site, better than many (Log Cabin's is a nightmare). You might also look at Pecards Leather Dressing. Like I said, good stuff. The moccs have went from a brownish gray to a more reddish brown and getting more pliable.

Where do you live in ol' Virginny?
Marsh Wise

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2019, 07:55:36 PM »
Hey Marsh. I am blessed to live at the corner of heaven and civilization as my trapping partner used to be fond of sayin.' To the west of me are the Blue Ridge Mountains... and that means I am 20 min from the Appalachian trail and both Jefferson and George Washing National Forests.

And to the North of me is the James River, so I am only about 20 minutes from some of the best Small Mouth Bass fishing, kayaking and canoeing in the entire state.

My partner used to proclaim the heaven begins in the Blue Ridge Mountains and civilization stops at the north bank of the James...so I am right there in that happy corner. The lodge is actually in Lynchburg, 'bout as close as I could get to the Mountains and still call myself a married man...

My son's farm is in Bedford County, also about a half hour from me...And the county normally ranks at top of Virginia Deer harvest records.

Never heard of Pecard's but I will definitey give it a try.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2019, 08:31:40 PM »
Got ya. My idiot ex-boss lives in Keysville, so I've been down thataway a night of times. I lived in Northern Virginia for 13½ years. Virginia, away from there and Richmond (the ghetto of VA) is beautiful. Now I live in Amish country which has its own coolness.
Marsh Wise

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2019, 08:33:00 AM »
You live in a beautiful area also. Both me and the bride love the Amish country of PA. My bride has a favorite pottery not far from Lancaster. It's always a nice area to relax for a few days.

And I envy you folks with you big Pennsylvania Bucks. Your deer are larger (on average) than ours. drool every time I see pics of some of those monsters.

Northern Virginia on the other hand is good for nothing but flying over (at a high altitude). I've never lived there, but have spent far too much time on Capital Hill and those scary environs. Traffic is spawned in the pits of Hell, and absolutely deadly. Glad ya made it out of there with your scalp still attached and your soul intact.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2019, 09:38:59 AM »
I live in Shippensburg. Lots of their farms around. Usually, if I'm lucky, a buggy will come down my street and crap by my house and I can scoop it up for my roses

Lots of deer here. 1st day of hunting season is a state holiday. Not that I hunt... I'm not really into venison, but I'm not against others doing it. Sounds like a WW2 reenactment though... People need to practice.

I lived in Annandale back on the day, but it's so different there now and it's never dark. Or quiet. My sailboat is in Mt. Vernon, so I'm down there often enough. Still, traffic is way worse than when I left 20 years ago and the politics are disgusting.

Where you live is nice.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Marsh Wise

Offline blackpowderbill

• TMA Forum Member
    • BlackPowderBill Blog & Sales
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2019, 11:22:51 AM »
I use mink oil,that yellow stuff that season's a rifle bore  :lol sign mixed with bees wax, sheep tallow and lanolin. What ever is handy after they dry out and stiffen up.

Then I grease them down and hit with a heat gun to allow the mix to soak in.