Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: ball smacker and tapered ramrod  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: ball smacker and tapered ramrod
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 10:57:46 AM »
* the ramrod goes up and down - it never gets twirled around
* he bounces the rod to ensure that the patched ball passes thru any bp crud in the chamber so there's no air space, it gets seated well on the powder, and it's given a consistent powder compression

That's definitely the way I do it with the ol' ramrod.  :bl th up

Twirling it extends the loading time for sure.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: ball smacker and tapered ramrod
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 02:49:51 PM »
I would like to share some thoughts on this same subject.

To bounce, or not to bounce?.....
That was a question, back in the 60's and 70's, that received more comments than Lube. While the question of Lube may never be resolved, because, to me, it's to much like picking your favorite child.
However, the question on bouncing the rod has been settled, at least in my mind.

I have favored bouncing so long, that I can now tell by the sound if I have a well seated ball.....of course, I always use a brass tipped rod just for that reason.

It hasn't always been that way! For years and years I listened to the masses, some theories were presented so eloquently you  had no choice but accept it as fact...then another great theory came along, then another, and on, and on it went.

The difference between a "hard" seat and a soft seat is best seen on the target, with you doing the seating AND you doing the shooting.

Of course, time is always a factor!

I suspect a quick, follow-up shot or two rules out bouncing completely.
Or, a timed event of 5 aimed shots in one minute, or less.

But if you're punching paper for grins & giggles, bouncing can produce some pretty handsome dividends.

It's one of those things you just have to prove to yourself.
Having said that, I'll add that if you are perfectly content with with your present groups, and your current method of seating, please don't change anything.
At the same time, don't go changing lube when "hard" seating is what you really needed all along.
And, never, ever, change any two variables at one time!

Good marksmanship with a Muzzleloader does not come overnight, and no single person is gifted enough to turn-in consistent 10X targets, on every range session, which is TOTALLY different than ringing a Gonger, so don't let lesser Paper scores discourage you, keep at it. Keep ringing that Gonger, and keep shooting that piece of paper, it's good for the soul!

This my friends is what it's all about.
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4