Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: my new TVM Colonial Tulle  (Read 1964 times)

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
my new TVM Colonial Tulle
« on: August 01, 2019, 10:24:36 AM »
https://frontiertrash.shutterfly.com/pictures/2019#2021

Thanks to Matt Avance and his team of artisans at TVM. Special thanks to John Getz of Getz Barrel Co. for an exceptional french barrel. Jim Chambers of Chambers flintlocks for a great early Ketland lock. And the old cherry tree that made the ultimate sacrifice for the stock.

Now its my turn to go out and do my part by making smoke and taking some critters with it.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Re: my new TVM Colonial Tulle
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 11:31:56 AM »
Wont load correctly to see pix but it sounds like a great gun, id like to see it!
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 11:58:47 AM »
Hey Ken,
Looks like you are one happy boy with that new Tulle.
20 ga?
It's my impression that Matt and the fellows at TVM always put out a nice product.
I especially like the rear sight on it.  Beats the heck out of just using the tang screw for it, eh?
One of these days we will half to get together, sure would like to pull the trigger on that.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 12:57:19 PM »
The pic link seems to work ok for me.  Yes it's a true .62 cal gun.

I think Matt Avance really did a nice job on this gun. It was a little unusual because I used a different longer tapered barrel and a different lock than what he usually uses. He selected a sweet piece of cherry and it finished out nicely. The inletting of the parts is about perfect. He also kept this gun very slim and trim. His team really out did themselves and they should be proud.

My vision for this gun was inspired by a photo of an original antique Colonial Tulle restock I found online. I purposefully wanted to change some of the parts to reflect the idea that this was a Colonial copy of a French Tulle. I used a simple early English Ketland Lock. And I had John Getz make me a really nice french contoured 46" long tapered oct to round barrel. It is very slim and thin at the muzzle. He said that it was a Kit Ravenshear pattern that he really likes and I really like it too. I also had him add "straight rifling" to the barrel, and I decided that since I never compete in sanctioned matches, a rear sight and a blade front sight would give me an opportunity to really see what straight rifling has to offer for a hunting gun. I will be taking it with me on a few local deer hunts this season and I will report back later about that.

John if you ever get lost and end up in my woods, call me. I'd like to see you and swap some lies.  best regards,  Ken

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 11:57:54 PM »
That sure is pretty!  I'm looking forward to the reports on how the straight rifling does.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 08:49:24 AM »
Very nice.  Thanks for posting.  That barrel looks extra special.   :hairy

Dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 08:56:48 AM »
Very nice! That's going to give you many many hours of enjoyment.  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 12:08:06 PM »
That is a wonderful gun and Matt does a fantastic job. I hope it gives you a life time of pleasure.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 12:22:31 PM »
very nice!  You're going to enjoy that!
Steve Sells

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 06:57:03 PM »
I expect so... I just cannot be any more thrilled with this fowler. The balance is exquisite. The barrel John Getz made for this gun is very slim and tapered. Matt and his team really worked the wood down slim and trim. I did not expect this gun to be as light and easy to swing.

Can't wait to try it on birds and brushy tails.

K

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 12:23:11 PM »

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 12:37:26 AM »
Great lookin' gun!  :hairy :applaud :toast
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 10:38:46 AM »
thanks. it has a rather unique barrel that was made by John Getz. It has straight rifling so it can shoot both ball and shot. This was something not uncommon to the 18th C. I have not worked up a proper load for it yet, but am looking forward to trying it out. It handles very well and is very slim and light at the muzzle.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 11:31:32 AM »
thanks. it has a rather unique barrel that was made by John Getz. It has straight rifling so it can shoot both ball and shot. This was something not uncommon to the 18th C. I have not worked up a proper load for it yet, but am looking forward to trying it out. It handles very well and is very slim and light at the muzzle.

Is the straight rifling supposed to add more stability to a round ball vs a smooth bore?
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 03:56:56 PM »
Historically, I think it may have originally been an attempt to control bp fouling to facilitate reloading.
I have read that straight rifling in a modern shotgun and muzzleloading gun today, is meant to stabilize the projectile(s) for improved accuracy.