Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: The NW Trade Gun  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Puffer

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #133
The NW Trade Gun
« on: October 27, 2019, 01:03:43 PM »
The NW Trade Gun

No gun in American history had such widespread use as the Northwest trade gun. This smooth bore, fowling piece, or single barrel shotgun was used more than all the Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and Hawken rifles put together.

By the mid-seventeen hundreds, the Indian trade gun was the most traded weapon in North America. The wide-spread use of Indian trade guns resulted in many names: the French called it the fusil, fusee, or fuke; the gun makers of England called it the Carolina musket; By the mid-seventeen hundreds, the Indian trade gun was the most traded weapon in North America. The wide-spread use of Indian trade guns resulted in many names: the French called it the fusil, fusee, or fuke; the gun makers of England called it the Carolina musket;  the London fusil etc.
The name also depended on its region of use; the gun was called the Hudson’s Bay fuke, the North West gun, or the Mackinaw gun.
A distinctive feature of these guns was the dragon or serpent shaped side plate. Most Indians would not trade for a gun that did not have the serpent plate. Hansen states that the earliest record of the Hudson’s Bay gun with its distinctive dragon ornament is dated 1805.
For more than three hundred years the name Barnett was prominent among gun makers in England. The North West Company, the Mackinaw Company, the American Fur Company, and the U. S. Indian Trade Office all distributed Barnett trade guns in the early nineteenth century. The Barnett Company produced more Northwest Indian trade guns than any other company. But of interest (IMHO) was a "category"  that referred to as "presentation guns" or "chief's guns", Hanson ("The Northwest Gun" ) speaks of the "finest" one were made by "Henry Tatham, Gun Maker & Sword Cutler, To The King..." , for presentation  ( made as gifts for important members of the “Six Nations” in British Canada. Rifles were  purchased by the Brit. Gov. (note - these were "rifles")

Note -  Some "NW Trade Guns were also made by Amer. Mfg.s

TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: The NW Trade Gun
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 01:29:55 PM »
good scoop, thanx for sharing jack!   :shake  :*:

without a question of doubt, the smoothbore in all its names, and build configurations and origins, was THE most prominent firearm of the 18th century.  in fact, the rifled barrel long gun was not allowed in the general army.  why?  too slow to load where rate of fire was far more important than any measure of accuracy, and too much fussing with fouling control, and too demanding of a projectile size with or without patching.  speaking of which, cloth patching was nearly non-existent - cloth was just too dear to waste when tow (flax), or paper wasp nesting, or various flora was readily available.  or, forget any patching and just drop a ball down the tube and have at it.  for the colonial citizen, whether militia or military man, or farmer or tradesman, the smoothbore could be loaded with ball or shot ... or pebbles, gravel, whatever was handy.  all that was required was powder and flint.  whether for food or protection, the smoothbore was the gun to have back in the day, and not a rifle.  i love me a good smoothie.  :bl th up       

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline Puffer

• TMA: Charter Member #133
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 04:54:06 PM »
good scoop, thanx for sharing jack!   :shake  :*:

without a question of doubt, the smoothbore in all its names, and build configurations and origins, was THE most prominent firearm of the 18th century.  in fact, the rifled barrel long gun was not allowed in the general army.  why?  too slow to load where rate of fire was far more important than any measure of accuracy, and too much fussing with fouling control, and too demanding of a projectile size with or without patching.  speaking of which, cloth patching was nearly non-existent - cloth was just too dear to waste when tow (flax), or paper wasp nesting, or various flora was readily available.  or, forget any patching and just drop a ball down the tube and have at it.  for the colonial citizen, whether militia or military man, or farmer or tradesman, the smoothbore could be loaded with ball or shot ... or pebbles, gravel, whatever was handy.  all that was required was powder and flint.  whether for food or protection, the smoothbore was the gun to have back in the day, and not a rifle.  i love me a good smoothie.  :bl th up       

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Rob, your correct  ( + add the problem of "fouling" to the mix ). But in 1800, the Brits started the trend of arming their Inf. with Rifles.  (The Baker Infantry Rifle) The 95th either patched the .62 cal. ball with a greased leather or a greased linen patch, or used paper cartridge's.
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline Einsiedler

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 05:30:05 PM »
I remember that book!  I had a copy about 35 years ago. I wonder what happened to it?  Forgot all about it.

Picked up a purty nice repro NW gun back in August. Don’t remember who built it. Lock is marked Barnett 1838 real nice!  Number 4 NW gun  for me. Gave young son #3. Sold #’s 1 & 2. Remember with one I kilt a doe with it one afternoon. Had it loaded with 5, .440 round balls. All I had to shoot out of it. Hit her with all 5 at about 40-45 yds.

And another that I killed a pig with. It was loaded with about 8, 32 cal. RB’s.

I kinda like fusils.

Offline toot

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 07:46:55 AM »
N-W-T-GUNS, FRENCH or BRITISH, RULE!!!!

Offline toot

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 07:48:56 AM »
book, FLINTLOCKS by ERIC BYE is a great one & currently available.

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 12:18:12 PM »
I luv my trade gun. Picked it up in a big trade back at an early OVPR 'vous. Don't rightly know what it is, other than it is .75 cal. I need to take some photos so you guys can identify it for me.

I have vowed to down a deer with it this season, but so far the critters are not being overly cooperative. Maybe they realize just how big that ball is that will be coming their way...  :lol sign
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline doggoner

• TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 12:45:45 PM »
Ordered the book and I recommend it as a good read. Thanks Puffer for sharing.

doggoner
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.