Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: blast from the past.  (Read 1379 times)

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
blast from the past.
« on: November 03, 2019, 03:58:55 PM »
Way back in the late 1970s (when dinosaurs roamed the earth), as a punky high school kid my Pops bought me a repro remington 1858 percussion revolver and an 1863 remington Zouave rifled musket. I dabble in civil war reenacting for a few years. Anyway, life goes on, The pistol got stolen from my apartment back in the late 80s, career, family and lots of moving around and I lost track of that Zouave. Well my dad sadly passed away back in July and going thru his storage, low and behold-- all wrapped up in the corner of the pump house I found that old Zouave... He never told me he kept it. I took meticulous care of it back in the day. I polished the brass all the time and kept it oiled up. I think I shot it with live rounds maybe only half a dozen times. But it has been stored in barns and sheds for over 35 years now. I pealed off the gun cover with fear and trepidation... It actually is in very good shape. My dad kept it oiled it seems. I cleaned the dust and dirt off the outside. No rust anywhere except for a little at the muzzle that rubbed right off with some solvent and elbow grease. The bore is in excellent shape. For the last 15 years I have been a dedicated flintlock shooter. Now of course I gotta get some musket caps and shoot this old girl in memory of my Dad. Here's to you Pop!

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: blast from the past.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 04:02:19 PM »
Awesome!!!  :hairy :hairy  :*:

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 05:04:47 PM »
Keeping your dad's memory alive.  :bow  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 12:11:20 PM »
Finding the old Zouve is big medicine. And it will be even bigger medicine to shoot in to honor your dad's memory.

Chris Haas, a friend of mine (that I've never met) killed his first deer this year with his dad's inline. He was apologizing for using it, but said he always tried to get at least one deer every year with one of his dad's rifles. That is a tradition well worth carrying on. Like I already said, it's powerful medicine in my book.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Eddie Southgate

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 05:03:53 PM »
Still shoot my Zoli Zouave my pap gave me in the 60's , wouldn't take a farm in Georgia for it . Got my old .36 Remington also . i have been hunting with my dads rifles since he died in 2017 . I think it's a good tradition too.

Offline dave951

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 08:00:19 PM »
The "Zouave" aka 1863 Remington is widely used in North South Skirmish Association competition. I have one that's a tack driver. Reenactors might not like them, but they can shoot rather well.
The well appointed gentleman can never have too much red wine, too many good books, nor too much ammunition at his disposal.