Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Flint ??  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Puffer

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #133
Flint ??
« on: November 15, 2019, 01:13:02 PM »
Was offered some "French Amber Flints" (1/2" for my pistol) The $ is good but I have always been told that they were not as good as the "British Black Flints" (I use Tom Fuller's English Gun Flints ) Any 1 here use the "French" (if so tell me what You think)
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Flint ??
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 04:17:57 PM »
Jack,
If it ain't broke, why try to fix it???
Personally, like you, I have always relied on the black English flint and have never had a problem.  And of the thousands I have sold, I cannot recall any unhappy customers.
I have heard tell of some people that felt the ambers were better and of course the opposite also holds true.
I would say that if the $$$$$ is right, why not give them a try.  You might even wind up liking them better.  Or not.  As always, a field report will be expected.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 05:03:04 PM »
Darn it,,, I can't find it now, but I was reading a short article on this somewhere's and if I recall what I read at the time (I thought it made a'lot of sense);

[With a light striking frizzen - French flints work great and last quite a while] & [With a hard striking frizzen they don't hold up so well]

I take that to mean; Off-Shore Locks and the Lyman GPR and even the TC Flintlock muzzleloaders probably love 'em... And I would include the L&R John Bailes flintlock...

I think the Large Siler Locks would eat 'em up - but I've never had a Small Siler Lock to know how strong its Mainspring is.

Hope this helps somewhat Puffer... As John said, why not give 'em a try.  :bl th up 
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 05:36:50 PM »
I have used them in my Pedersoli Frontier, my Hatfield and my custom Jaeger.  The locks on these rifles take large (7/8") flints and they seem to spark well and last just as long as the black English. 

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 06:04:43 PM »
I've been doing some more searching, (still can't find the article I was looking for), but I do agree with several articles I ran across as I searched Google...

Geometry of the, cock & frizzen, hardness of the frizzen, pitted frizzen -vs- smooth, flint placement in the jaws,,, it all plays together,,, and all I read actually had positive things to say about the French Amber Flints... There was one mention of the fact that the only draw back is that it's a one-side flint and can't be turned around like the English Flints... However, from what I also read, several were saying 40 to 60 to 80 to 100 shots from this single edge style French Amber Flint...

Again, I agree with John, if the price is right - why not give them a try.  :shake   

Offline Puffer

• TMA: Charter Member #133
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 06:12:25 PM »
I have used them in my Pedersoli Frontier, my Hatfield and my custom Jaeger.  The locks on these rifles take large (7/8") flints and they seem to spark well and last just as long as the black English.

Thanks -- My pistol = Pedersoli Mortimer & fav. Rifle = a Pedersoli Mortimer & I have the 12ga. also.
So may work. ::)
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 10:38:42 PM »
Darn it,,, I can't find it now, but I was reading a short article on this somewhere's and if I recall what I read at the time (I thought it made a'lot of sense);

[With a light striking frizzen - French flints work great and last quite a while] & [With a hard striking frizzen they don't hold up so well]

I take that to mean; Off-Shore Locks and the Lyman GPR and even the TC Flintlock muzzleloaders probably love 'em... And I would include the L&R John Bailes flintlock...

I think the Large Siler Locks would eat 'em up - but I've never had a Small Siler Lock to know how strong its Mainspring is.

Hope this helps somewhat Puffer... As John said, why not give 'em a try.  :bl th up

Joe, I have two pistols with small silers and the springs are very,very strong , both the frizen and main springs. Problem is I have no idea how old they are. And I cant remember if I have had amber flints, if I had its been several yrs, maybe in Texas.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 05:56:57 AM »

Joe, I have two pistols with small silers and the springs are very,very strong , both the frizen and main springs. Problem is I have no idea how old they are. And I cant remember if I have had amber flints, if I had its been several yrs, maybe in Texas.

My guess would have been that the small Siler Locks would have a strong main spring, based on how strong the Large Siler Lock main spring is.  :shake

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 06:34:03 AM »
The small Siler I put in a flint pistol is strong but definitley lighter than my large Silers.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 08:47:40 AM »
Came across some Amber flints a couple of weeks ago.  Shot the first one (about 20 rounds). I saw no difference.  I even have some white Missouri chert that works well.  Works well enough I’ve successfully hunted with it.  Made a crude flint from a piece of Texas chert that I found on the ground   It worked well also.  I need to follow up on learning to make my own better
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 09:59:45 AM »
The small Siler I put in a flint pistol is strong but definitley lighter than my large Silers.

Thanks Hank.  :bl th up

Having never used the small Siler, I wasn't sure...  :shake

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 02:22:37 PM »
Came across some Amber flints a couple of weeks ago.  Shot the first one (about 20 rounds). I saw no difference.  I even have some white Missouri chert that works well.  Works well enough I’ve successfully hunted with it.  Made a crude flint from a piece of Texas chert that I found on the ground   It worked well also.  I need to follow up on learning to make my own better

Can't even imagine making my own flints...so my hat is off to ya.  :hairy
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Online Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 02:49:34 PM »
I've used both the black and amber flints and can't tell any difference.  The amber seem to last just as long as the black.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 08:10:32 PM »
Shot another 20+ rounds today with that same amber flint. Knapped it once. Still going.
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th