Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Sinking deeper into the abyss: new (to me) Brown Bess  (Read 1301 times)

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #833
Sinking deeper into the abyss: new (to me) Brown Bess
« on: November 20, 2019, 08:31:39 PM »
So my forray into shooting began with a Henry .22lr lever, then a few Winchester levers, then a detour into military surplus bolts before discovering the world of muzzleloaders. I started with a used CVA Frontier, then built my Kentucky Rifle kit.

Well, I've gone off in the deep end and got a flinter. I now have a repro Dublin Castle 1st Model Long Land Pattern Brown Bess. Wow! Darned thing is almost a piece of artillery compared to everything else I've had. Looking forward to shooting her. Already have powder, ball, and flint on the way!
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Spotted Bull

Re: Sinking deeper into the abyss: new (to me) Brown Bess
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 09:26:18 PM »
actually pretty jealous of that! Ive been wanting a Bess for awhile now! Congrats!

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 07:40:08 AM »
congrats on yer acquisition. bessie's are big guns, and for good reason, too.  who made yours?

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 10:23:01 AM »
So my forray into shooting began with a Henry .22lr lever, then a few Winchester levers, then a detour into military surplus bolts before discovering the world of muzzleloaders. I started with a used CVA Frontier, then built my Kentucky Rifle kit.

Well, I've gone off in the deep end and got a flinter. I now have a repro Dublin Castle 1st Model Long Land Pattern Brown Bess. Wow! Darned thing is almost a piece of artillery compared to everything else I've had. Looking forward to shooting her. Already have powder, ball, and flint on the way!

CONGRATS to ya, my friend! :hairy You will have a blast...but you lead expenses will go way up.... :lol sign
Anyway, have fun with the Bess and shoot straight...well, as straight as a Bess can shoot... :lol sign
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #833
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 03:21:30 PM »
congrats on yer acquisition. bessie's are big guns, and for good reason, too.  who made yours?
No idea, it's unmarked, but I have a strong suspicion it was a Victory Loyalist Arms import.
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 05:33:53 PM »
It only gets worse.  Soon you'll have squirrel rifles, deer rifles and others.  Just enjoy it.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.