Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: CVA Youth Hunter  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Swamppanther

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Active Member
  • TMA Member: TMA #801
CVA Youth Hunter
« on: December 17, 2019, 11:35:54 AM »
I was just searching around for stuff on smoothbores and somehow got into articles on CVA recalls. I have checked all my CVA guns for the
type/serial listed but on other models they don't mention. Its kinda scary as I got my son a CVA Youth Hunter in .50. Its a sidelock.
Nice little rifle. I liked it so well got myself one also. I was thinking passing them down to grandkids and hopefully great grandkids. After
reading some of the articles -   http://randywakeman.com/DangerousMuzzleloadersAHistory.htm - for example - I was thinking of using stocks
for firewood and barrels for tiedowns next hurricane scare. Any thoughts?
USMC Life - Siemper Fi
NRA Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: CVA Youth Hunter
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 12:33:55 PM »
I was just searching around for stuff on smoothbores and somehow got into articles on CVA recalls. I have checked all my CVA guns for the
type/serial listed but on other models they don't mention. Its kinda scary as I got my son a CVA Youth Hunter in .50. Its a sidelock.
Nice little rifle. I liked it so well got myself one also. I was thinking passing them down to grandkids and hopefully great grandkids. After
reading some of the articles -   http://randywakeman.com/DangerousMuzzleloadersAHistory.htm - for example - I was thinking of using stocks
for firewood and barrels for tiedowns next hurricane scare. Any thoughts?

WOW!!! I did not know this (or if I did - I had forgotten it)... Fortunately all CVA related barrels & kits I've used pre'date the dates mentioned in the article...

Having shortened several CVA barrels by cutting off the breech/bolster area and re'threading and adding a breech plug and drum / or vent,,, I took the opportunity to take apart a CVA bolster and pull the breech plug --- and in actuality (though that design can be a pain in the ass,,, to me I always thought it was a solid design (and as a side note the threads showed no signs of being of poor quality or installation... Then again, these barrels "pre dated" the trouble barrels & obviously the poor metal used...

I kind'a always wondered why CVA went belly up - they had seemed to have a good thing going with their Mountain Rifle and two piece stock Kentucky Rifle...

I would say that if any of the CVA barrels you have fall within the dates (time period) mentioned - I would not deem them safe to use, and simply would not use them at all, even if one "might" get away with using lite charges... It isn't worth rolling the dice and hoping for the best, not where safety is concerned...

Thanks for posting this.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 12:42:30 PM »
SP.....unfortunately I can't offer much help or a solution for your situation. Howver, I will offer this;
Randy Wakeman is a very prolific, and often controversial writer in the world of Muzzleloading.
Back in the early days, many of his articles were debunked and labeled pure garbage by other writers of the time, and as such I don't hold a lot of stock in his writing.
He is likely the oldest / longest writing writer on condemnation of all things traditional!
He has 'intentionally ' blown up more Traditional guns than many of us will ever own in his efforts to prove that the in-lines of today are "somehow" safer than our old Traditional guns.
Personally, I would take his writings with a grain of salt, looking elsewhere for information regarding my own guns.
But that is just me!
You, and many others, may see things differently. That's the beauty of living in America. We have choices, and we have places to go to look for information concerning our health and safety.
Look around and ask questions before you decide to make a Tomato stake out of your guns.I

Respectfully, Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 01:04:08 PM »
SP.....unfortunately I can't offer much help or a solution for your situation. Howver, I will offer this;
Randy Wakeman is a very prolific, and often controversial writer in the world of Muzzleloading.
Back in the early days, many of his articles were debunked and labeled pure garbage by other writers of the time, and as such I don't hold a lot of stock in his writing.
He is likely the oldest / longest writing writer on condemnation of all things traditional!
He has 'intentionally ' blown up more Traditional guns than many of us will ever own in his efforts to prove that the in-lines of today are "somehow" safer than our old Traditional guns.
Personally, I would take his writings with a grain of salt, looking elsewhere for information regarding my own guns.
But that is just me!
You, and many others, may see things differently. That's the beauty of living in America. We have choices, and we have places to go to look for information concerning our health and safety.
Look around and ask questions before you decide to make a Tomato stake out of your guns.I

Respectfully, Russ...

Russ, how did I miss this at the bottom;

Copyright 2010, 2014 by Randy Wakeman. All Rights Reserved.

I will add now to my comment above; "with this guy (Randy Wakeman) associated with this article" I would question much of it... I thought it odd they'd have a picture of an Inline that had blown up, when they're talking about what I presumed from the beginning of the article, traditional side lock muzzle loading rifles...

I stand by this comment I made above; 

I took the opportunity to take apart a CVA bolster and pull the breech plug --- and in actuality (though that design can be a pain in the ass,,, to me I always thought it was a solid design

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 01:48:02 PM »
But that is just me!

Respectfully, Russ...

It looks as though I'm a bit late,.... 'cause Uncle Russ has said it all before I even got the chance to share my opinion of Randy Wakeman!  :hairy

Thanks Uncle Russ,.... I couldn't have said it better.  :bow :applaud :shake
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 06:29:18 PM »
I'm  a self-confessed muzzleloading  newbie (albeit  a well-read one) and I  figured out Randy FAKEman was a traditional  Muzzleloader  troll after reading 2 of his articles.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 07:00:14 PM »
But that is just me!

Respectfully, Russ...

Well said Uncle Russ, now that being said, if it is factual, how is it that none of us have heard anything about this until now and why haven't other sources reported any problems with these rifles?
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline dave951

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 09:40:08 AM »
I'm not a fan of Mr. Wakeman and take anything from him with a 50lb bag of salt.
The well appointed gentleman can never have too much red wine, too many good books, nor too much ammunition at his disposal.

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 05:18:22 PM »
But that is just me!

Respectfully, Russ...

It looks as though I'm a bit late,.... 'cause Uncle Russ has said it all before I even got the chance to share my opinion of Randy Wakeman!  :hairy

I have come to appreciate the wit and the wisdom of Uncle Russ, and this quote is just a prime example why. He has shared some straight info, but has done it in a respectful manner and then allows everyone to make up their own mind. IMO that's the way it needs to be done...thanks Russ. I appreciate both your insight and your attitude!
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 07:56:23 PM »
But that is just me!

Respectfully, Russ...

I have come to appreciate the wit and the wisdom of Uncle Russ, and this quote is just a prime example why. He has shared some straight info, but has done it in a respectful manner and then allows everyone to make up their own mind. IMO that's the way it needs to be done...thanks Russ. I appreciate both your insight and your attitude!

Ray, I agree with you completely.  :bl th up

In all the years I've known Russ, I would say he is an absolute credit to his understanding and posts that he's made. Through his posts, I have learned much from Uncle Russ - he is a true treasure and credit to our preservation of traditional muzzle loading, and I've no doubt what-so-ever, a credit to any undertaking he is / or has been, involved with...  :toast :shake