Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Tennessee Rifle Build  (Read 4350 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Tennessee Rifle Build
« on: January 20, 2020, 10:33:14 PM »
I stumbled across this on youtube, it's a "33+ parts" video of a guy building a Tennessee Long Rifle... Now I've not watched them all, but those I have watched I believe are very informational to anyone looking to build a muzzleloading rifle...

I'm not saying we all build in the same manner, but this IMHO is up to the builder what information he/she may draw from these videos...

I've enjoyed the parts I've watched so far - and you might also... There's always information to be gained, and I'll admit that there's some parts I cringed at when he went after that stock with one hell-ov-a file (I've got a couple myself) where he chooses to use that file,,, but hey - he makes it work, and it's his project...

I picked the video up at part 32, but I'm gonna go back and start from Part 1...

There's something to learn from everyone who builds muzzleloaders IMHO.  :shake

Click the link below... Enjoy!!! :bl th up

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Tennessee Rifle Build
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 04:29:59 PM »
Mr. Martin (OH Joe) I just finished a marathon of watchin those 40 videos of Bill Raby building that gun...

Good heavens!  What that told me was that this mother's Son should NEVER try to build a gun...

at 72 I can honestly say that while I'd wish to do so and have enjoyed crafting a lot of my own outdoor gear, I have not the tools, knowledge, experiences Or...patience to build anything more then a "screw driver kit"... My, oh my...

As he points out in #39, IIRC, it takes YEARS to afford the various Chisels, and gouges to do a good job...and it still took him like 6 mos working evenings after whatever is his Day Job...

But it was captivating to watch it take shape... NO Wonder I cannot afford a on-shore built gun! :) :Doh! ::)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 07:49:13 PM »
Doc, I'm glad you enjoyed the videos. They are an eye-opener, but don't let that discourage you or anyone else from trying your hand at it someday,,, even if you spread it out over time...  :shake

Yes, there are some special tools needed at times, but in this day and age - many tools can preform the same tasks if you're comfortable with them.  :bl th up

Glad you enjoyed the videos... There is always something to be gained from them.  :shake

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 03:54:41 PM »
"Back in the day" they didn't have all the specialized tools we have now; often a rasp, file, chisels, hatchet and/or axe, screwdrivers, a saw (maybe) and a lot of patience were what was on hand.  Sometimes they had less than that and still made pretty decent guns!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 07:42:24 PM »
Exactly right Kees... :shake

I got to thinking about what I use, and the only three power tools I use is;

Drill (for pins and screws)
Dremell (for the lock)
Band Saw (to cut out a stock blank)

Everything else is done with hand tools (hammer. chisels, rasps, files, planes, sanding blocks, and some other odds & ends hand), it's all good what a person chooses to use.  :hairy 

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 07:53:56 PM »
... and I'll admit that there's some parts I cringed at when he went after that stock with one hell-ov-a file (I've got a couple myself) where he chooses to use that file,,,

Joe, I probably cringed just as bad when Wallace Gussler went after the stock of the rifle he was building in "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg" with a tomahawk.  In today's world, that piece of pretty wood probably would sell for $500 or more.

I remember back in the late 1970's our club acquired it on loan from the Library (16 millameter film) and we showed it for the general public at the Washington Water Power building in Coeur d'Alene..  It was a full house.  When Wallace started hacking on the wood with that tomahawk, there was a collective gasp from the audience.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 08:58:35 PM »
... and I'll admit that there's some parts I cringed at when he went after that stock with one hell-ov-a file (I've got a couple myself) where he chooses to use that file,,,

Joe, I probably cringed just as bad when Wallace Gussler went after the stock of the rifle he was building in "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg" with a tomahawk.  In today's world, that piece of pretty wood probably would sell for $500 or more.

I remember back in the late 1970's our club acquired it on loan from the Library (16 millameter film) and we showed it for the general public at the Washington Water Power building in Coeur d'Alene..  It was a full house.  When Wallace started hacking on the wood with that tomahawk, there was a collective gasp from the audience.

John (Bigsmoke)

:laffing I bet they did... When I first saw that video I thought "No Way" am I ever gonna do that!!! Of course that's the difference between a real builder like Wallace Gussler,,, and a weekend butcher like me... :shake

That's still a great video to watch. It's timeless!!!  :hairy  Let's have another look, John

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 07:50:36 PM »
Thank you, Joe.  I had never seen that before, and it was very educational!  Amazing how young he looks....

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 07:58:00 PM »
Thank you, Joe.  I had never seen that before, and it was very educational!  Amazing how young he looks....

~Kees~

Kees, you may enjoy this read about Wallace Gussler, and how he got his start in traditional muzzleloading... And yes, he started young.  :shake

http://www.flintriflesmith.com/WritingandResearch/Published/wallaceretires_mb.htm

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 06:42:42 PM »
Thanks Joe!  :toast Interesting man.  :bl th up

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 10:42:50 AM »
"Back in the day" they didn't have all the specialized tools we have now; often a rasp, file, chisels, hatchet and/or axe, screwdrivers, a saw (maybe) and a lot of patience were what was on hand.  Sometimes they had less than that and still made pretty decent guns!

~Kees~

True enough, but they were 110% familiar with what they did have and used them daily to hone their skills!  As Clint Eastwood said in a Dirty Harry Vid, " a man has got to know his limitations"... I'd second that notion and At this age I have time, not the skill, nor the patience...and Only Got know if I have the time but my mental acuity seems to have slipped some along with my vision of late... Could be the cancer meds or just age---dunno. We're all different... but I can admire talent when I see it!

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 03:02:24 PM »
Amen to that!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life