Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Questions on refinishing a Lyman GPR  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Questions on refinishing a Lyman GPR
« on: February 07, 2020, 03:09:34 PM »
I picked up said rifle since my Sweetie was upset that I sold the previous one I had.  "What did you do with that pretty rifle" she asked when it was no longer in its usual place on the wall.  That was a number of years ago and I am tired of hearing this same refrain, hence the T-C Pennsylvania Hunter was sold to acquire funds for another GPR.  Unfortunately, this one has the ugly black stain on the wood, and she doesn't like it either.

So.... I have been trying to remove the finish with Citristrip and not having much success.  Others swear by the stuff, so it may be my technique, or it may be the stain Investarms used on the stock.  At any rate, does anyone have suggestions on how to lighten the stock?

Then, the previous owner had put a firesight on the front.  When he did so, he filed out the barrel dovetail to make it fit.  The dovetail on the sight must be extra long or something because regular 3/8" (.375") base sights are now too small.  There appears to be a bunch of epoxy on the flats of the barrel near the front sight so that may have been used to hold it in place.  The question is, how do I undo the damage at this point, or do I just epoxy another sight in place and hope for the best?  The dovetail has already been stippled with a punch, and the edges peened down but a new sight simply slides through.

Then, I see that there is a flat area in the under rib towards the stock, with a screw to hold the UR to the barrel.  It looks like there should be a spring in there to hold the ramrod.  Am I right, and where can I get a replacement spring?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!  More questions will be forthcoming, I'm sure.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Questions on refinishing a Lyman GPR
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 08:49:20 PM »
Imo pictures would help alot and get more complete suggestions. Do you have a caliper to measure the length of the front dovetail?
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 08:49:56 PM »
I picked up said rifle since my Sweetie was upset that I sold the previous one I had.  "What did you do with that pretty rifle" she asked when it was no longer in its usual place on the wall.  That was a number of years ago and I am tired of hearing this same refrain, hence the T-C Pennsylvania Hunter was sold to acquire funds for another GPR.  Unfortunately, this one has the ugly black stain on the wood, and she doesn't like it either.

So.... I have been trying to remove the finish with Citristrip and not having much success.  Others swear by the stuff, so it may be my technique, or it may be the stain Investarms used on the stock.  At any rate, does anyone have suggestions on how to lighten the stock?

Then, the previous owner had put a firesight on the front.  When he did so, he filed out the barrel dovetail to make it fit.  The dovetail on the sight must be extra long or something because regular 3/8" (.375") base sights are now too small.  There appears to be a bunch of epoxy on the flats of the barrel near the front sight so that may have been used to hold it in place.  The question is, how do I undo the damage at this point, or do I just epoxy another sight in place and hope for the best?  The dovetail has already been stippled with a punch, and the edges peened down but a new sight simply slides through.

Then, I see that there is a flat area in the under rib towards the stock, with a screw to hold the UR to the barrel.  It looks like there should be a spring in there to hold the ramrod.  Am I right, and where can I get a replacement spring?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!  More questions will be forthcoming, I'm sure.

~Kees~

Kees, if you will give me the size of base you will require for the front site, I can make you a front sight (copper base w/ brass blade) - which I'll make the "base" just a tad longer so you can file fit it, and I will need to know the depth of the dovetail... No doubt some file work will be required on the base once you get it - but I really don't see any other alternative...

You are correct about a spring for the Ramrod - probably check Brownells or Numrich, or even Dixie Gun Works... I doubt Track of the Wolf would have it - but they might?

The stock??? if you have some zip-strip, try that as well,,, and if all else fails - go see a wood worker with a good reputation in your area and he/she will have an answer for you I would bet.

:shake

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 10:28:29 AM »
A loose-fitting dovetail front sight is easily fixed via re-installing the sight blade with a BCS (beer can shim) underneath the male dovetail - I slide the sight & the dovetail into the barrel dovetail at the same time.

I cut the shim small enough that it cannot be seen after installation - but if an edge shows, it's easily  camo'd with a black Sharpie.

Regarding the stock, I've found out that different factory finishes don't all respond to removal chemicals the same way - so if CitriStrip isn't working for you, I would suggest trying some alternatives.

I've had excellent gunstock refinish removal results from Formby's Furniture Refinisher (HomeCheapo or a good hardware store), using new pads of 0000 steel wool  & following the directions on the can.

As a last resort, the stock may be able to be lightly sanded, then bleached to remove the previous stain & re-stained to the result you desire.

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 05:25:50 PM »
Thank you everyone for the responses.  I'm going to go down in the basement again and try scrubbing the stock with steel wool and Zipstrip.  Sanding is always an option although I want to save that as a last resort.  Or, I see that Track has a replacement, full length stock available....

Joe, I thank you for the offer on the front sight.  I think I saw some sights in (again) Track's catalog with extra long bases; that may be another way to go.  Let me think on this!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 05:40:02 PM »
Thank you everyone for the responses.  I'm going to go down in the basement again and try scrubbing the stock with steel wool and Zipstrip.  Sanding is always an option although I want to save that as a last resort.  Or, I see that Track has a replacement, full length stock available....

Joe, I thank you for the offer on the front sight.  I think I saw some sights in (again) Track's catalog with extra long bases; that may be another way to go.  Let me think on this!

~Kees~

You know where I'm at if you need one, Kees.  :shake

Online dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 06:51:10 PM »
Citristrip has never failed me.   :Doh!  I wonder what kind of finish they put on it.  Maybe the guy that did all of the alterations put something on it over the factory finish.   May have to do several coats.  Good luck.  :toast

Dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 05:18:01 AM »
I have used chemicals, but mostly I "scrape" all that old gunk off, get it down to bare wood, use a stain, if I'm going to use a stain, and depending on my finish I may not use a stain, then I will wet sand it again, use a Tack cloth, wet it again to raise the grain, Tack it again, wet and tack, etc, and then take it down to about 600.
400 is normally good if the grain is behaving, but sometimes I'll go to 600.
If I stop at 400 you can almost bet I intend to "burnish" that stock with a plain piece of burlap bag.
Lots of rubbing, lots of elbow grease, and well worth every hour you spend on a burnish.
Plus, with a good burnish you will have a waterproof stock once finished, you never have to worry about the weather, or if you dropped it in the snow or in the creek.

The actual finish itself, after all the prep work is done, is a matter of choice...what do you want your gun to look like, and today we dozens of choices....almost unlimited.
I have had good luck with about every good finish out there....if I had a good prep.... :bl th up
But never try to take short cuts on the preparation, I've never seen it pay off in the long run.

If you haven't guessed by now, 90% of the work in stock work, is the preparation.
The rest is gravy.

Uncle Russ....

Attached is a picture of a GPR that finished from a kit....it was also burnished.
Check out the "feathering" at the wrist....once I scrapped all the junk of the original stock there was a nice piece of wood underneath that. Unfortunately, I don't have a before and after picture.
It's amazing the nice wood we sometimes find covered up with that factory coating.

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 06:17:55 PM »
Now that is plumb lovely!  I hope mine looks half as good, my Sweetie would be in heaven.

Scrape and sand.  Got it!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 11:44:38 AM »
I would go with the full length stock. Then you can use any finish you want. Maybe carve it some or pour a pewter nose cap. Make it a real one of a kind. Maybe let the Mrs. Have a say in the design.

IronHand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 02:50:00 PM »
I would go with the full length stock. Then you can use any finish you want. Maybe carve it some or pour a pewter nose cap. Make it a real one of a kind. Maybe let the Mrs. Have a say in the design.

There is that, also.  But being retired & on a fixed income, I want to try to rescue the original stock first.  After all, I sold a perfectly good T-C in order to have the funds to buy this one, and I have too much into it as it stands!  If that doesn't work, I can get another stock for it and go from there.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 04:04:20 PM »
I scraped & sanded as much as I dared, but that dark stain which Lyman used must have soaked into the wood.  It IS a bit lighter, though and once I have put a finish on it, my Sweetie should approve.

As far as the front sight goes, I looked at the barrel last night and there is enough space in front of the current dovetail to cut another one.  I will make a filler to fit the current extra-long dovetail and reposition the front sight.  All is good!

Kees
NMLRA Life

Offline gonetocamp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 08:48:59 AM »
If you still need the ramrod retainer spring and screw contact Dixon Muzzleloading in PA: 610/756-6271. They do Lyman warranty repairs and should have the parts in stock.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 10:45:51 PM »
If you still need the ramrod retainer spring and screw contact Dixon Muzzleloading in PA: 610/756-6271. They do Lyman warranty repairs and should have the parts in stock.

Actually, I called Lyman and they mailed me the spring, a new wood screw for the rear of the tang, and a front sight.  The front sight dovetail is way too small (being metric) for the enlarged barrel dovetail.  I did not see any charge for these on my Visa statement, so they must have been sent gratis!  :bigsmile:

Kees
NMLRA Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 11:17:19 AM »
Kees, I gotta say with your post here on your Lyman GPR - well it made me pull my two out'a storage (.50 Flint & .54 Cap) and just handle them, wipe them down, freshen up the bore's a bit with some Sheath oil, as well as the other metal parts. I really need to shoot these more. Maybe this year, I hope? ... :laughing

They truly are very good rifle's in my humble opinion. I also have a .54 TC Hawken, and although I like it as a hunting rifle because of the 28/29 inch QLA Barrel on it, those Lyman Great Plains Rifles just shine!  :shake