Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Mid Hudson Valley, NY, BP Shoots for 2020  (Read 1737 times)

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #833
Mid Hudson Valley, NY, BP Shoots for 2020
« on: March 10, 2020, 08:51:09 PM »
Several clubs near Kingston, NY hold BP shoots. Here is the 2020 schedule:

High Woods Sportsmen's Club, Woodstock
highwoodssc.com
Sundays March 22, Apr 19, Sept 27, Oct 18, Dec 1 (also their Joys For Tots drive, free shoot with new  toy worth $10 or more)
16 target woods walk, open sights/lead only (no jacketed bullets)
$10 fee, registration starts 8:30, kitchen open for breakfast & lunch
blanket shoot (bring something worth around $10 to participate)

Wittenberg Sportsmen's Club, Woodstock
Wittenbergsportsmen'sclub.com
Sundays May 24, June 14, Oct 11
Woods walk
$10 fee, registration starts 9:00, lunch available for extra $$
Blanket shoot (bring something worth around $10 to participate)

Saugerties Fish & Game, Saugerties
sfgc.us
Sundays May 3, Aug 16
Sign-up opens (Do not know fees or format)

More info and contacts can be found at each website. I might be able to help with questions.

I have been to Wittenberg and am a member of High Woods. Both are secluded and enjoyable. I've met many guys from all 3 clubs. We are an informal bunch who like to get together and burn powder. Come on out if you can! :hairy
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
Re: Mid Hudson Valley, NY, BP Shoots for 2020
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 07:00:48 PM »
I often attend those shoots as I live in Kingston.  Alas, I won't be back home until the 3rd week in April. :wave

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 09:41:39 AM »
I've been corresponding with Vincent Bernstein, who coordinates the Ulster Co./mid-Hudson Valley shoots, and has cancelled many of them due to the spread the Corona virus locally.  Postal matches may be an option for us though.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 11:51:55 AM »
I've been corresponding with Vincent Bernstein, who coordinates the Ulster Co./mid-Hudson Valley shoots, and has cancelled many of them due to the spread the Corona virus locally.  Postal matches may be an option for us though.

Maven, glad you made this post. It got me to thinking if the coronavirus could be spread through the mail... What I have found is both "pro & con" obviously meaning that it's possible but highly unlikely - but you can't rule it out...

NOTICE

Since our TMA Matches our obviously "Postal Matches" it rather does put me at some risk (not so much receiving the envelope that the targets are in - but possibly the targets themselves inside the envelope - though the risk is small - but still possible, and dependent on length of delivery time from the mailer to the receiver...)

So, to play it safe, I will ask all who are entering our Postal Matches to do the following;

1. Monthly Postal Matches (Please just post me a PM with your score and which Match you shot)

2. Do not return any Silhouette Entries to me until after July 2020...

There's no need to take any un' necessary chances until we're clear of the woods on this Coronavirus...  :shake

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 04:37:08 PM »
You're most welcome, Joe. :yessir:  Although I missed the deadline for the silhouette match, I'll probably participate in some of the monthly ones:  Got a hankerin' to shoot my smoothie, doncha know.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 06:11:27 PM »
You're most welcome, Joe. :yessir:  Although I missed the deadline for the silhouette match, I'll probably participate in some of the monthly ones:  Got a hankerin' to shoot my smoothie, doncha know.

Maven, I got all my 2020 Targets gathered into one folder now for the Monthly Matches... I got to totaling the shot count, then added up the shooting at Rendezvous, my plinking practice, testing loads,,, and by golly if I did it all, I'd go through 4+ pounds of powder and quite a bit of lead...  :o

This ol' boy's gonna get pretty selective in his shooting this year. That ol' (powder / patch / ball /cap & flint) can add up in a hurry for a retired feller...

I think the ol' wood stick and arrows are gonna see a'lot of usage this year, as well as the (shhhh "rimfire")  :shake

But at least we do have a selection of muzzleloading matches to choose from. 

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #833
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 08:12:51 PM »
Yes, NY (along with NJ & CT) are taking extreme measures to slow the rate of spread. Limiting size of gaterings is one, which unfortunately means no shooting events.
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 12:37:51 PM »
To follow up on my March 11 post, the New York State Muzzle Loaders Association is now hosting postal matches, i.e., if your range is still open. :pray: :applaud  You can find information about these here: .http://www.newyorkstatemuzzleloadersassn.com/postal-match.html  Btw, in spite of Covid-19, you have to mail your target to them at the address listed on that site.  Thought you'd like to know.