Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 45 or 59 cal? Looking at a Pederosi KY rifle and trying to decide which for fun, targets, and possib  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Dalebow

• TMA Forum Member
45vs50cal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
45vs50cal?

Small game, varmint, and deer size game, (Not Elk Size) along with target shooting - IMHO the .45 covers all that.

Varmint, and deer size game (Not Elk Size), and target shooting -  a .50 cal is very good choice. (More forgivable using both 2fg & 3fg Black Powder, and bucks the wind better) and in a pinch I'd go for a Rabbit's head if'n I were hungry...

Just my opinion...  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
For a hunting rifle, first check with your local fish and game regs.  That's the bottom line.  No use getting all worked up over a nice .45, only to find it is not legal for what you want to do.
As far as paper punching goes, it don't take much to poke a hole through a sheet of paper, but it does take some oomph to knock over a bear at 200 yards when you are shooting silhouettes.  Personally, I prefer a .54 for all of my shooting.  Well I lied there, I do like a .62 for deer size game and a .72 for elk and larger, but you did ask about a .45 vs a .50.  That's just me.
If I had to make a choice between the .45 and the .50, I would probably choose the .50.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
All he above being said, I know more fellas that have taken Elk here in WA state with a .50 roundball than any other caliber, as always a well placed shot is whats needed, took my first Elk with a 50 T/C Hawken, sold that one and picked up a 54 due to the fact that it was cheap and have hunted with that the last 12 years,  now I know a game warden here and he says most Elk that are poached are shot with a .22 LR behind the ear, not condoning poaching what so ever, as always, your mileage may very!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
I prefer a .54 for all of my shooting

I agree with John 100% on this! And if this should end up being the route you might take, I'd suggest the Lyman Great Plains Rifle in either cap or flint (whichever you prefer)...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
Jim, I wouldn't completely rule out a .50 for Elk with a 120 grain charge. There's some darn good bone crushing ballistics from 100 yards and under - packing that 120 grn load with a patched ball.  :bl th up

Spotted Bull

Well I own a Pedersoli .50 Kentucky and I love it. Super accurate out of the box.

Offline Dalebow

• TMA Forum Member
What powder, load, patch, and ball are you using?

Spotted Bull

Usually a .490 ball, .015 ox-yoke prelubed patch and 50 grains of FFg Goex.

But it's a pretty accurate hunter at 100 grains.

Offline Dalebow

• TMA Forum Member
Awesome, thank you 😊

Online Winter Hawk

The one .50 I had did very nicely with the 250 grain Lee R.E.A.L. bullet, even with 1:66" rifling.  I think that is because it's fairly short so the slow twist could still stabilize it. I haven't been so lucky with the .45.  And you can always go to a light powder charge in the .50 for small game.

Kees
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member

For a hunting rifle, first check with your local fish and game regs. 

No use getting all worked up over a nice .45, only to find it is not legal for what you want to do.

+1

FWIW, my state limits small game hunting muzzleloaders to .40 (& smaller) bores; deer hunting muzzleloaders to .45 (& larger) bores.

If your not going to hunt deer-sized game, a .45 is more economical to punch paper with.

If you are, a .50 has a much wider selection of projectiles than a .45 - and it will deliver more punch on both ends of the rifle.

I've been successfully doing all my deer hunting with my .45 T/C Seneca for the past 40 years. (YMMV)

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
45vs50cal?

will this be yer first trad muzzy?

is there a specific reason why you've singled out a pedersoli gun?

do you think you have a preference for flint or cap, and why? 

most important, the prime intended purpose for the gun and you?

with those questions answered, we all could render better comments and opinions.

Offline dave951

• TMA Forum Member
I'd go with a 50. More versatility if you ever plan to hunt and generally speaking, 50cal supplies are easier to find.

Both can be very accurate and great shooters.
The well appointed gentleman can never have too much red wine, too many good books, nor too much ammunition at his disposal.

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
Or?  Vs?  1 Wife! 1 God!  That I can understand but 1 muzzleloader ? It's  not civilized! It's  not ...generous.

(with apologies  to a Classic movie)
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend