Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Early 1800s New England Flintlock from a Traditions Kentucky Rifle kit  (Read 3622 times)

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #833
Having built a Kentucky Rifle kit in percussion, I decided to build a flinter. I emulared (not copied) the style common to rifles from Massachusetts gunsmiths in the early 1800s. Key details are faceted ramrod pipes, facets and reeding on the buttplate return, the lock bolt washers, a hidden patch box release, and silver wire inlay. This is the results of my efforts, an I hope it inspires others to think outside of the (kit) box.

This was my first attempt at wire inlay (I could have done better...) and a spring release patch box cover. I didn't engrave anything as I don't have that skillset yet and this was not the time to botch something up!

Stain is leather dye, sealed with Watco Danish Oil. Since these pics were taken, it has had a wax job to add a bit of sheen.

Some more details will be provided in additional comments, including examples of originals I used for inspiration.
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
Some of the pictures of period details I gleaned off of the internet in my research.
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
I really wanted to incorporate a cheek rest. They are a standard feature on flinters. As seen above, some weren't very pronounced. Luckily, I saw if I narrowed the buttplate and shifted it as far right as possible, I could gain just enough extra stock width to accomplish one.

Needless to say, this also required extensive work with a rasp and files to shape everything, but was so worth it.

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
The patch box cover was a blank from Track of the Wolf.  It was just 2 rectangles on a hinge. I had to cut it out to my own pattern and make the catch pin. It is held closed by a small spring made from a hacksaw blade. The release button is a 1/8" steel wire press fit in a button made from a brass rod. The button has a flange so it stays in the toe plate, while the wire is just long enough to reach the spring. The entire patch box was hollowed out with hobby knives and gouges.

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
I hope others may find inspiration and think outside the box in making an off-the-shelf item truly their own.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Looks good!  :hairy

How's it shoot?  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
That is plumb lovely!  :hairy
 I have a CVA kit tucked away in the garage, I may have to build it and try something like this.  What did you use instead of the brass spacer between the two pieces of the stock?

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member

That is plumb lovely!  :hairy
 I have a CVA kit tucked away in the garage, I may have to build it and try something like this.  What did you use instead of the brass spacer between the two pieces of the stock?

~Kees~
Thanks! The 2 pcs are epoxied, using dowels in place of the pins and a brass hose coupling in the ramrod channel (though a piece of copper tubing would have worked if I had some...)

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member

Thank you!

I only put 3 balls through paper yesterday at 25 yards, all a few inches apart. I'm not sure if it is me flinching, or the patches, which were shredding a big hole in the middle. Odd, since the same ball & patch is fine in my other Kentucky, but using real black vs 777 in the percussion might be a factor. Bit ignition does not seem to be an issue.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder

Thank you!

I only put 3 balls through paper yesterday at 25 yards, all a few inches apart. I'm not sure if it is me flinching, or the patches, which were shredding a big hole in the middle. Odd, since the same ball & patch is fine in my other Kentucky, but using real black vs 777 in the percussion might be a factor. Bit ignition does not seem to be an issue.

Could be a combination of both with the bore needing to be (what I call "shot in" )... You'll get'er worked out.  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Nice adaptation of a kit gun, like that you did not use that damn brass plate at the joint!  :yessir:
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
I always enjoy seeing "kit" guns spiffed up from their original presentation right out of the box.  :applaud

You did a pretty nice job on that one!  :toast  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member

IMO, you NAILED it ! !   :applaud

That's DEFINITELY the nicest CVA I've ever laid eyes on, fer sure !  :bow  :bow

Congrats !  :toast

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
Nice adaptation of a kit gun, like that you did not use that damn brass plate at the joint!  :yessir:

Thanks. Ironically, it was the ONE piece missing from the kit!

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
I always enjoy seeing "kit" guns spiffed up from their original presentation right out of the box.  :applaud

You did a pretty nice job on that one!  :toast  :bl th up

Thank you!