Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Flintlock side-by-side: your thoughts  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Darren Haverstick

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Board of Directors, TMA Treasurer
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member.
Flintlock side-by-side: your thoughts
« on: April 14, 2020, 07:44:34 PM »
I've had a hankering for a long time to get a side-by-side flintlock fowler. Does anybody know a gunsmith who makes such a contraption? The only one I've been able to find is the one made by Pedersoli. It's a nice gun and all but I hate to think that's my only option.

Thanks in advance,

Darren

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Flintlock side-by-side: your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 08:00:57 PM »
That is just beautiful.  Only drawback I can see from the catalog is it's only available in 20 gauge.  I would think maybe in the next year or so, I might be coming around in a 12 or even a 10 ga.
There is just something about looking down the barrels and having those two flintlocks there.  Fantastic !!!
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 11:23:32 AM »
Charles Starks builds them.( Captchee)
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 07:05:23 PM »

Just a question - IDK, but would the priming charge on the 2nd barrel be effected in any way (shifting, letting it out of the pan, etc) by the firing of the first barrel ?

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 07:09:09 PM »

Just a question - IDK, but would the priming charge on the 2nd barrel be effected in any way (shifting, letting it out of the pan, etc) by the firing of the first barrel ?

That shouldn't be a problem with quality locks. :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 09:52:03 PM »
The one that had problems was the over/under from Baretta.  The top barrel was pretty reliable, the bottom one, not so much.   ;banghead; ;banghead; ;banghead;
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 07:36:25 AM »
I've had a hankering for a long time to get a side-by-side flintlock fowler. Does anybody know a gunsmith who makes such a contraption? The only one I've been able to find is the one made by Pedersoli. It's a nice gun and all but I hate to think that's my only option.

Thanks in advance,

Darren

Darren,

Feltwad may be a good source of information;

http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php?topic=23713.msg222669#msg222669
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 10:38:48 AM »
I have seem some reviews of the Pedersoli double flint that say its not really all that great. There are custom builders that make them from old barrels, but they are spendy, and many builders after making one vow to not go there again. I had a chance to buy an original at an auction 4 years ago but the price ramped up too quick for my wallet. I decided that I did not need one THAT bad. LOL.

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 03:17:34 AM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ] It seems this thread came to a sudden  halt did anyone  purchase the sxs  Pedersoli flintlock and how did it shoot too me they look   poorly made and the checkering does not look the part . I would say they were made for the American market where originals are few  but here in the UK  and the cost of these repros you can buy a original for around the same price. Enclosed are a couple of images of originals  which here in the UK would be around the same price has the Pedersoli  [ Invalid Attachment ]

Feltwad

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 07:50:06 AM »
Wow...feltwad you always show up on a thread with the best pictures!  Thank ya sir.
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 08:17:23 AM »
Thanks Feltwad, very nice photos of those originals... Always enjoy seeing them!   :toast

I don't hear much about the side x side shotguns of the era around my part of the country... Our Rendezvous camps and clubs interest lay more with the smooth-bore single shot Trade Guns... I do however enjoy your posts of the oldies!

As far as the Pedersoli sxs, I have my doubts about their "flint" locks, though I feel the cap-locks are good.

:shake

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 03:47:37 PM »
Thanks Feltwad, very nice photos of those originals... Always enjoy seeing them!   :toast

I don't hear much about the side x side shotguns of the era around my part of the country... Our Rendezvous camps and clubs interest lay more with the smooth-bore single shot Trade Guns... I do however enjoy your posts of the oldies!

As far as the Pedersoli sxs, I have my doubts about their "flint" locks, though I feel the cap-locks are good.

:shake
You mention the S/B trade gun  here were call them fowlers  which have long barrels in different bore sizes  , some are full stocked and some half stocked see image
Feltwad

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 04:12:51 PM »
Yes, I've seen this photo before that you've posted and they are always enjoyable to see again...  :hairy

Many here refer to Fowlers; as Following Pieces / Trade Guns, and just plain ol' Smooth Bores or Smoothies... I think much of this has to do with what part of the country you live in and take part in the mountain man Rendezvous type activities reflecting (as a reference only) 1825 - 1840 time period where I live... Of course back east the early years of the fur trade is somewhat different in their gatherings (east of the Mississippi) as I'm sure the languish they use is as well...

It's nice that you restore and maintain these fine pieces of history. You do an outstanding job of it!!!  :hairy