Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: c02 dischargers  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Lance Williams

• TMA Forum Member
c02 dischargers
« on: May 18, 2020, 05:41:12 PM »
I noticed several older threads talking about using c02 discharges to dislodge stuck jags and such. In my search to buy one I realized most companies no longer make/carry them. I was able to find a couple for around $40 on some muzzleloader specific sites.

I was wondering why most companies seem to have discontinued, if you all can recommend them, and if so, what is a good one to buy (with a link if possible). Thanks.

Edit - will be used on a traditions hawken caplock

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: c02 dischargers
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 06:06:54 PM »
flint or cap?  a decade or so ago and strictly out of curiosity i tried one for a flint and at least for me it was a total waste because the touch hole could never get sealed well enuf.  might be a different story with a nipple gun.  for me, far easier to pull the breech plug. 

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 06:12:14 PM »
The ones sold by RMC/Ox yoke seem to work just fine for me.  I have the attachment for my flint guns, and the few times I have used it to unload the gun it has worked just fine.

Offline Lance Williams

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 06:41:40 PM »
flint or cap?  a decade or so ago and strictly out of curiosity i tried one for a flint and at least for me it was a total waste because the touch hole could never get sealed well enuf.  might be a different story with a nipple gun.  for me, far easier to pull the breech plug.

For a caplock

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 07:24:40 PM »
Lance, I've never owned one, but if it's a "dry ball" issue,,, just put some powder in the drum through the nipple port (doesn't take much) reinstall the nipple and just shoot it out... If you're already aware of this, maybe others can learn from this post...  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 07:42:53 PM »
Junk, have seen many tried and all went back to putting a prime behind what was stuck and shoot it out, if all else fails pull the nipple, find a grease zerk with the right thread and pump it full out grease, hydraulics are an amazing thing, then you'll spend the next 3 days cleaning the barrel, but....... it works!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 07:43:52 PM »
Junk, have seen many tried and most failed!  all went back to putting a prime behind what was stuck and shoot it out, if all else fails pull the nipple, find a grease zerk with the right thread and pump it full out grease, hydraulics are an amazing thing, then you'll spend the next 3 days cleaning the barrel, but....... it works!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Offline Lance Williams

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 11:18:47 PM »
I’ve read about using the grease but I’m clueless as how one would get all of that out.

Spotted Bull

c02 dischargers
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 11:54:57 PM »
I once had to use my spare brass range rod, thats about 5' long and bent a hook into the on the end, then slid a piece of 1" steel pipe about 1' long onto the rod, put the barrel in a vise and screwed the ball puller into the ball and used the pipe like a slide hammer to get the ball out, and then the second ball out. Owner said it was setting behind his couch for about 20 years. Had to use a pressure washer to clean the barrel.

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 12:54:53 AM »
I’ve read about using the grease but I’m clueless as how one would get all of that out.

Well you start by pulling the zerk, then from the nipple hole you use as much air pressure that your compressor will push and you cut a hole in the top of a gallon paint can big enough for the barrel , then a couple small holes for air vent, blast the grease out with the air and save it, you can you it on many things, then lots of boiling water down the barrel, and I mean lots! this procedure can burn up an afternoon but when all else fails it works!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 12:58:10 AM »
I once had to use my spare brass range rod, thats about 5' long and bent a hook into the on the end, then slid a piece of 1" steel pipe about 1' long onto the rod, put the barrel in a vise and screwed the ball puller into the ball and used the pipe like a slide hammer to get the ball out, and then the second ball out. Owner said it was setting behind his couch for about 20 years. Had to use a pressure washer to clean the barrel.

well now how dumb am I !!!!!!! the pressure washer with hot water would cut the grease out a lot faster!, thanks Bull will have to file that one for next time, hope there isn't one!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Spotted Bull

c02 dischargers
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 01:03:23 AM »
I'm still thinking of coming up with an attachment for a pressure washer that has holes along a narrow tube that can be inserted into the barrel, and attached to the wand handle. Or just holes the first 4 inches or so, so that it can be worked in and out to clean everything out really well. If you had a washer with a water heater attached that would really work well.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 01:46:41 AM »
I'm still thinking of coming up with an attachment for a pressure washer that has holes along a narrow tube that can be inserted into the barrel, and attached to the wand handle. Or just holes the first 4 inches or so, so that it can be worked in and out to clean everything out really well. If you had a washer with a water heater attached that would really work well.

I've heard of guys rigging up one of these for cleaning muzzleloading barrels, in fact I have one and have never used it.
https://www.amazon.com/Pressurized-Household-Accessory-Multi-Purpose-Multi-Surface/dp/B086GNYF75/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1WNF85SZ7RW8&dchild=1&keywords=steamer+for+cleaning&qid=1589866948&sprefix=steam%2Caps%2C237&sr=8-6
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 11:58:42 AM »

Bought one for both.

Haven't actually dry-balled since I bought it, but I am sure I will.

Many decades ago, when I first got into BP/muzzleloading, I bought one because after reading about them, thought them an excellent idea.

In the 45 years since I bought it, I've yet to use it...……  :Doh!

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 07:28:23 PM »
I have two and liked them always taking them to club monthly shoots in Tx. They came in handy and worked well but then the cartridges became a pita to locate,(cabelas stopped carrying them) they have to to be correct length and some have a screw on end and some just insert. There are 12,16 &20 g cartridges, threaded and non threaded. I had a back and forth with the company just recently and even though they dont make them anymore( this company anyways) they do have cartridges available. Mine are Genuine Innovations brand and it appears they are just a subsiderary of ITW Global Tire Repair.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21