Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Casting Round Balls and Conicals  (Read 1549 times)

Offline smokepolepaul

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 777
Casting Round Balls and Conicals
« on: May 23, 2020, 10:36:18 AM »
I'm just getting started in casting round balls and conicals.  I'll be using 99.9% pure lead from Roto Metals.

I would like input regarding a good starting point for lead temperature when pouring.  I'm using Lee aluminum molds.

I searched the forum but didn't see the info I was looking.  Any guidance/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Paul
"There ain't nothing like boom and smoke!"  :-)

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
Re: Casting Round Balls and Conicals
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 11:14:46 AM »
I try to keep my pot at 700-750 degrees on my thermometer. Start with a full pot, cause as you add more lead the temp will go down.  If the balls/bullets come out frosty the temp is too high, if they are wrinkled, then the lead is too cool.  Put the rejects back into the pot.

Offline smokepolepaul

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 11:21:06 AM »
Thank you sir.  I appreciate the info.

Paul

Offline One Shot

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 04:05:47 PM »
SmokePole

Here is a link to a excellent downloadable book; From Ingot To Target. Geared to handgunners but principles remain the same for casting.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf
Semper Fi
The Few The Proud

Offline smokepolepaul

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 09:20:03 PM »
Thank you for the info and your service to our country One Shot.

God bless you.

Paul

Offline dave951

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 09:47:25 AM »
For round ball, pot temp about 750F. You didn't mention your pot or pour method. When I'm casting 69cal RB, I run the pot at about 750F, bottom pour, put sprue back in immediately. I try to keep the pot about half full both for thermal mass and to keep a fairly consistent pour "pressure" from the nozzle. Flux when you recharge the pot. I use cedar sawdust and a small chunk of parafin.

Lee molds (and most aluminum ones) come to operating temp fast. You might benefit from some 2cycle oil lubing the sprue plate pivot point. At the risk of angering some, I'm generally not a fan of Lee molds. They are built to a price point and as such are great for new casters to get started. Once you're spent a bit of time casting and can try some RCBS, Lyman, Accurate, etc molds, you'll see the difference and why the others cost more. I currently have only one (1) Lee mold I actively use in casting. It's a flat nose "wadcutter" minie that looks like an old school trashcan. It shoots great out of my Parker Hales, but sadly, Lee has discontinued this mold. I bought a couple spares as back ups off fleebay.

If you're new to casting, there are much, much less expensive place to get lead. I have a local scrap yard that sells xray room lead at spot price. So I'm getting darn near pure lead for about $.92/lb last time I went there. Many times I can cut it into strips with no contaminants on it and go straight to the pot without having to smelt it into ingots.
The well appointed gentleman can never have too much red wine, too many good books, nor too much ammunition at his disposal.

Offline smokepolepaul

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 09:55:55 AM »
For round ball, pot temp about 750F. You didn't mention your pot or pour method. When I'm casting 69cal RB, I run the pot at about 750F, bottom pour, put sprue back in immediately. I try to keep the pot about half full both for thermal mass and to keep a fairly consistent pour "pressure" from the nozzle. Flux when you recharge the pot. I use cedar sawdust and a small chunk of parafin.

Lee molds (and most aluminum ones) come to operating temp fast. You might benefit from some 2cycle oil lubing the sprue plate pivot point. At the risk of angering some, I'm generally not a fan of Lee molds. They are built to a price point and as such are great for new casters to get started. Once you're spent a bit of time casting and can try some RCBS, Lyman, Accurate, etc molds, you'll see the difference and why the others cost more. I currently have only one (1) Lee mold I actively use in casting. It's a flat nose "wadcutter" minie that looks like an old school trashcan. It shoots great out of my Parker Hales, but sadly, Lee has discontinued this mold. I bought a couple spares as back ups off fleebay.

If you're new to casting, there are much, much less expensive place to get lead. I have a local scrap yard that sells xray room lead at spot price. So I'm getting darn near pure lead for about $.92/lb last time I went there. Many times I can cut it into strips with no contaminants on it and go straight to the pot without having to smelt it into ingots.

Thank you for your advice and suggestions.  I appreciate it very much.  I plan to upgrade my molds when I can.

Paul 

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 12:34:32 PM »
Here's how to make those Lee molds better, by "Leementing":

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?32584-Leementing-Documentation-w-Photos

Have fun!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline smokepolepaul

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 12:54:11 PM »
Here's how to make those Lee molds better, by "Leementing":

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?32584-Leementing-Documentation-w-Photos

Have fun!

~Kees~

Thank you for the info Winter Hawk.

Paul

Online doggoner

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 02:07:26 PM »
Smokeploepaul

You may want to try this style of Lee-Menting your molds.

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/the-library/moulds/282-lee-menting-a-mold

this is worth the read anyway.

doggoner
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.