Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Range Box or Shooting Box  (Read 1228 times)

Spotted Bull

Range Box or Shooting Box
« on: June 10, 2020, 11:01:23 PM »
How many of you guys like to keep all your stuff in a really cool range or shooting box, and then load up a pouch as needed? This is how I usually do it. I'll get photos of my box posted tomorrow, but if anyone else has one to post I'd really like to see it!

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Range Box or Shooting Box
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 11:53:59 PM »
I had a big range box once that I fashioned from an artillery cartridge box.  There was a spot where I could screw down my spotting scope, and it carried four or five cans of powder  There was places for the scope tripod, and cleaning solution and cleaning patches and a couple of boxes of round ball and various patches, and who knows what all.  However, it was too darn heavy to be practical, so I bagged that idea.  Then I got a plastic shooter's box and that limited the amount of stuff I could carry.  But I still didn't like it, so I just got into carrying the stuff I wanted to take just in my pouch.  One time heading back to Friendship, I weighed my pouch and it came in 38 pounds.  Of course, I didn't carry all that stuff on the range, but I had it close at hand.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 10:22:48 AM »

I usually pack a day's worth of shooting or hunting (different payloads) of supplies in my pouch, but take along a G.I. ammo box with extra BP & cleaning supplies which stays in my vehicle while I shoot/hunt.

Not cool, but practical for me (YMMV).

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 09:16:30 PM »
99.9% of the time (for me), what one refers to as a Range Box is reserved for two uses; 1. Zeroing in a new muzzle loading firearm, 2. Carrying supplies to restock my shooting bags & horns at Rendezvous, or any other type of shoots I'll be attending...

I seldom ever take anything other then my muzzle loading firearm, bag, and powder horn, to the Range with me for a shooting session,,, however I do carry along in the pickup a cleaning rod,,, and in an old coffee can; some cleaning patches - cleaning water - & rifle oil, to give the rifle a quick cleaning before heading back home where it'll get a more thorough cleaning in my shop.

I also carry in my shooting bag what I need to clean my smoke-pole, but the coffee can is simple to use and leaves my cleaning stuff in my shooting bag for when I need it in the field.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Spotted Bull

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 05:17:44 PM »
Here is my shooting box. Got it from a friend I made a bag for, in trade.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 11:12:30 PM »
Bull, that is just plain impressive.  Not only the box, but also the plunder you carry in it.  Very nice. :bl th up :bl th up
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Spotted Bull

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 11:15:43 PM »
John you should see the junk that's under that tray!! Lotsnof cleaning patches, cap tons, prelubed patches, boxes of balls, non-PC pliers, bottles of bp solvent, I think maybe even a pound can of powder.  I need to clean that bottom up. The box weighs a ton right now!

And somewhere are the two brackets that slide onto each side that hold my rifle across the box. It comes in handy some times. I really need to find them.