Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Revolutionary War era Brown Bess Military Qualification  (Read 2626 times)

Offline MuzzleSoldier

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Revolutionary War era Brown Bess Military Qualification
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2020, 07:01:29 PM »
That is great info Dan! Thank you so much! I will be PMing you with my email address if I can figure it out! Thanks again!

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2020, 03:14:03 PM »
Great information!  Three shots per minute is historical but I don't know if I would be able to get do it; three minutes per shot is more like it!  :lol sign

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2020, 06:06:22 PM »
Kees my friend, there was a time no so long ago that I could do 4 shots a minute starting with a loaded rifle, but now (since I've aged a bit), I think I will have to settle for 3 shots a minute starting with a loaded rifle... I'll take it.  :bl th up :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2020, 10:04:37 PM »
Heck, I'm gettin where I'd be lucky to get one shot a minute starting with a loaded rifle. :laffing
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2024
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2020, 11:46:30 AM »
Kees my friend, there was a time no so long ago that I could do 4 shots a minute starting with a loaded rifle, but now (since I've aged a bit), I think I will have to settle for 3 shots a minute starting with a loaded rifle... I'll take it.  :bl th up :shake
Now how do you do that? :o  It takes me more than a minute just to get the powder measured and down the bore, then lick the patching, get the ball out of its bag and centered on the patch across the muzzle, start the ball even with said muzzle, get out the knife and cut the patch, replace the knife, ram the ball down, maybe bounce the ramrod on the ball to make sure it's seated (although I generally don't), prime the pan from the horn while trying not to lose all the powder on the ground, and finally aiming and shooting.  Then a flannel patch goes down the bore to get crud out before going through the whole rigamarole again....
 :lol sign 
Really, you must be a speed demon!  I am in awe of your prowess!  :bow
~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2020, 02:43:15 PM »
Now how do you do that? :o  It takes me more than a minute just to get the powder measured and down the bore, then lick the patching, get the ball out of its bag and centered on the patch across the muzzle, start the ball even with said muzzle, get out the knife and cut the patch, replace the knife, ram the ball down, maybe bounce the ramrod on the ball to make sure it's seated (although I generally don't), prime the pan from the horn while trying not to lose all the powder on the ground, and finally aiming and shooting.  Then a flannel patch goes down the bore to get crud out before going through the whole rigamarole again....
 :lol sign 
Really, you must be a speed demon!  I am in awe of your prowess!  :bow
~Kees~

A ball block w/ patch & ball helps. Also prime from the horn (or leather capper "in later years") cuts time and don't worry if you over prime... Don't pick the vent hole... And in some cases instead of a .445 ball w/ .020 patch - use a .440 ball and .015 patch with a good slobber of spit.

And IMHO - The number one thing is knowing exactly where everything is at on (or in) your bag so there's no guess work where your hand goes to grab your fixed powder measure to charge - slip the patched ball out'a your ball block and slobber that spit and send that ball down onto the charge - then prime that pan / or cap that nipple - quick aim and fire - (I do blow down my barrel immediately after discharge / then I start the process over...

I'll also add (because someone is bound to say it) "Yes, I do know when my rifle has fired - I've never mistaken that, even when loading slow..."  :shake

As I said above, I doubt I could do 4 shots anymore starting with a loaded and primed rifle,,, but I'm sure I could still do 3 shots starting with a loaded and primed rifle (after all - that's (let's say 3 to 6 seconds to sight your 1st shot and and fire, then 27 seconds to reload and fire the 2nd shot & 27 more seconds to load and fire the 3rd shot (and many a times I've had time left on the stop watch)... Accuracy? Not great - but a 20 inch gong at 50 yards is quite doable to make three hits on it,,, 'cause if'n your a loading and firing fast - chances are your life depends on it... :bl th up

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2020, 11:04:53 AM »
The thing to remember here, Kees, is that they are using paper cartridges to load with.  No powder measure to contend with, no loose patches and ball, no loose caps or priming device, just a nice neat self contained little tube of powder and ball. Loading into a great big ol' smooth bore musket.   Easy, peasy.
Of course, on the other hand, you're standing there like a damn fool, totally exposed while the opposing force is coming at you and also firing.  Would think that could cause a bit of adrenaline to be flowing in your veins, making for shaky hands and such.
As far as accuracy goes, they weren't shooting at 10 ring targets.  It was a wall of red coats, steadily moving towards you.  How can you miss that?  Although I am sure many shots did miss.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2020, 05:10:47 PM »
A quick question for Muzzlesoldier. How many Rounds/Paper cartridges did a Redcoat normally carry in to battle? was it the same for the Continental army?
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2020, 02:05:52 PM »
John, that was the way the Brits ran their war machine.  I have book on one of the participants in the Boer War in S. Africa.  They were in trenches, armed with (unmentionable) Mausers and the Scots were marching down on them, spread across the field while the Boers were in trenches.  Part way through the "battle"  they had to call a truce to get the dead and wounded out of the way before commencing the fight again.  It was at Bloemfontein IIRC.  Strange way to do business, I must say!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2020, 06:34:33 PM »
Kees, check out this video on youtube. Rob has done a'lot of research and videos on the British Military Arms - and they're entertaining and educational... This one (part one) is on the Baker Rifle of the early 1800's...

Enjoy;

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2020, 03:55:52 PM »
Thanks Joe!  Now to find time to view those.  Even during the Covid-19 stay home!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2020, 04:00:07 PM »
You are welcome Kees. I think you'll find them interesting. :shake

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2020, 05:03:16 PM »
 :hairy

Hey there. Just came across your post and wanted to send ya a howdy.

I am currently the TMA Representive for Virginia and would luv to offer ya any help possible. I would also like to know more abot all your activities so that I can share it with others in the region that might be interested.

Glad ya found the TMA. Please do not hesitate to give me a shout if there is anything ya need.

:toast
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2020, 06:32:09 PM »
If I could load a shot in three minutes I'd be on here bragging about it.  :hairy
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.