Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Having a squirrel rifle made  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Darren Haverstick

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Board of Directors, TMA Treasurer
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member.
Having a squirrel rifle made
« on: June 24, 2020, 02:00:57 PM »
Last winter, my dad cut some nice walnut blocks off our farm and gave them to me to distribute to friends as I saw fit. I had a buddy of mine cut them into 2" thick boards so they could be used for either gun stocks or bow risers. I don't really need a new gun, or bow for that matter, but I hated seeing those boards just sitting in my garage catching dust. I knew my personal gunsmith, John Pruitt, was about out of walnut stock material so I thought about sending the boards to him and having him make me a squirrel rifle in the process. If I hunt squirrels with a firearm, it's usually with a scattergun so I wasn't terribly excited about the whole thing but a flintlock squirrel rifle was one thing I do lack in my arsenal. I pondered on the idea for a while until I received a nudge from an unexpected source which made me finally make a decision.

Last week, I had killed another squirrel with my longbow and as I was cleaning it I wondered if the editor of "Fur-Fish-Game" magazine would be interested in an article about hunting squirrels with a bow. After I finished up, and washed my hands, I sent the editor a quick email inquiring about his interest in the subject.  He replied right away and said that they already had an early season article about squirrel hunting but were needing something for late season. Would I be interested in doing a black powder squirrel hunting piece? Of course I replied, yes, I would be happy to write something up about that particular subject. I have written a few articles before on that very thing and started mulling over how I could make it fresh when I realized that the best thing I could do was get a squirrel rifle made so I could do some comparisons and contrasts between the two firearms. So I decided to have John make me a 32 caliber Pruitt Special. I called up Ryan and Terry Jo at Muzzleloader Builders Supply and had them help me pick out the parts I needed. They are in the process of shipping those to John and he received the walnut boards from me today.

I'm all excited now and I know that as soon as John gets his parts, he will commence to making me a rifle. Hopefully, within the next 30 days, I'll have some pictures of my new shootin' iron to share with you.

Darren

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Having a squirrel rifle made
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 03:11:28 PM »
Sounds like a winner Darren!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 08:16:43 PM »
Man theres nothing like the excitement of a new rifle start! usually with me it's after a couple months of thinking what i want to build and the planning, shopping the parts etc. I'm a little jealous now, don't have a squirrel gun yet HMMMMMMMMMMM, Dang it now you got me thinking!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 12:49:53 AM »
Got you thinking, huh Jim???  Well, we all know what a dangerous thing that is.
Darren, sounds like you have a good plan worked out there.  Keep us posted.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 08:13:54 AM »
 :hairy
Sounds great! I've never had a custom-made gun, so it sounds exotic and fabulous to me. I cannot wait to hear and see more about the new rifle.

Now, you mentioned writing that article...please see my comments in the thread about how we can do better about getting out the word about the TMA.  A nice "history" piece about the TMA would be a great place to start. I would luv to discuss this more with ya.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 04:09:47 PM »
Now, you mentioned writing that article...please see my comments in the thread about how we can do better about getting out the word about the TMA.  A nice "history" piece about the TMA would be a great place to start. I would luv to discuss this more with ya.

Ray, in order to get an article printed, you need to find a publication that will want it. I personally do not know of any publication that would want a TMA history piece.

Darren

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 09:31:08 PM »
 :hairy I have written and published hundreds of articles, poems, some fiction, and even a few books, so I know the drill when it comes to getting work in magazines. Has anyone  approached the editors of the the magazines we've about their possible interest in a piece?  It wouldn't necessarily have to be a history piece. There are other angles beside history.

I will do a little bit of poking around to see if I can come up with something. But I do not have the background to write a piece...at least not without a lot of help and collaboration.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 07:31:37 AM »
I received this photo from John last night. He already has the stock cut out! For a feller close to 80, he gets right after it! He just got the wood I sent him Wednesday.

BTW - that bag in the photo is one that I made him out of the hide I got off a moose I killed with a longbow in 2015.

Darren

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 09:44:51 AM »
That's quick! looking forward to the progress on this
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 05:11:58 PM »
Nothing compares with having a new rifle built, and a squirrel rifle is about as good as it gets.  I've used both the .32 and .36 for squirrels and don't care to even try anything else.  Good choice, Darren.  :bl th up
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 10:07:51 AM »
John got all the parts delivered this past Tuesday so I'm sure the gun is all but done by now. I know he already had the barrel and ramrod channels cut in the stock and he was going to seat the barrel Tuesday evening. Won't be long now!

For payment, I'm making him his favorite cookies and a big pan of yeast dinner rolls. He told me not to send them until he got the rifle finished. Otherwise, he would eat his payment and not be as inclined to finish the job. At least he is honest!

Darren

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 12:54:37 PM »
That is an interesting stocked rifle there on the right. I like it!!!  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Bearhntr

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 09:42:04 PM »
Waiting to see your new prize!  I'm sure that it'll be a beauty!