Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Live and learn.  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
Live and learn.
« on: August 09, 2020, 07:16:38 PM »
On Friday, I hit the range to shoot my August Postal targets and brought my .32s.  I use a CVA Squirrel for off-hand cause it's light and handy. My bench .32 is a "Green River Hawken" that I purchased on GUNBROKER 2 years ago. Now I know your thinking, "Green River WHAT?. But that's what it said in Gunbroker, I didn't know any better. The pictures were Lo-res but the description said it was in great shape. So I bid on it since there were no other bids and it was ending in a couple days. Needless, to say I got it and was VERY pleased when it arrived. It only had .32 cal and Black powder only markings on the barrel. I figured "Green River" was a small company that didn't last.

So Friday, another shooter comes over looking puzzled and "asks what caliber is that Renegade?" I tell him it's not a TC Renegade, it's a Green River Hawken. And I get the LOOK from him, you know, the look you get when a parent or teacher thinks you're making something up. So I hand him the rifle and he looks it over and finds a TC in the rubber buttplate and shows me a "Green Mountain" circle double M marking.  I had thought that was just a proof mark. Come to find out I own a very unique "Green Mountain" barreled  Thompson Center Renegade. Has anyone heard of this as a TC option or did a previous owner modify it?
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Live and learn.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 07:44:24 PM »
I'm leaning towards your rifle being a "modified Renegade".  :hairy

The only small caliber rifles TC made (that I'm aware of),.... were the TC Seneca,.... and the TC Cherokee.

I'm also pretty sure, the factory TC Renegade was available only in .54 cal.

IF,.... TC ever did offer the Renegade in .32 cal.,.... they would have surely put their name on the barrel.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 09:28:07 PM »
Rondo, IIRC, I believe Dutch's wife (when they were still married) bought one of them TC .32 rifles to Rondy back in the day when Red was still with us. She'd use it in the ladies shoot.

Now if my memory is correct??? wasn't there a Green River Rifle Works that moved from some western state to Australia back in the '70's?

If nothing else, I'd say the rifle was miss-represented on the auction block...

But,,, without knowing what Nessmuk paid for it, he may have gotten the better part of the deal?  :shake

http://whitemuzzleloading.com/green-river-rifleworks/
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 01:04:54 AM »
Rondo, IIRC, I believe Dutch's wife (when they were still married) bought one of them TC .32 rifles to Rondy back in the day when Red was still with us. She'd use it in the ladies shoot.

Both the TC Seneca, and the TC Cherokee, are/were light, short, rifles of smaller caliber, making them ideal for women and youngsters.
My daughter has a TC Cherokee in .45 caliber.  :hairy

Now if my memory is correct??? wasn't there a Green River Rifle Works that moved from some western state to Australia back in the '70's?

The GRRW company was located in Roosevelt, Utah,... when the company went out of business in the late 1980's, (I'm pretty sure) it was still located in Utah.  :bl th up

If nothing else, I'd say the rifle was miss-represented on the auction block...

I'm guessing that Nessmuk's TC Renegade, is probably wearing one of the "drop-in" Green Mountain barrels that was offered through Track of The Wolf for a number of years.  :bl th up

TOTW also offered iron (replacement) furniture for the larger bore TC rifles (to make them look more like true "Hawkens"), at the time they offered the slower twist "drop-in" GM barrels.  :bl th up

Without seeing a picture of Nessmuk's rifle, it's difficult to assert whether the rifle might have originally came from the TC factory as a TC Hawken, or a TC Renegade

But,,, without knowing what Nessmuk paid for it, he may have gotten the better part of the deal?  :shake

I'd say, it's worth whatever Nessmuk was willing to pay for it,.... as long as he's happy with it.  :bl th up :toast

For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 09:12:11 AM »
It's possible that Renegade came out of the T/c Fox Ridge Custom shop with the Green Mountain .32 barrel.  Those barrels were options from the custom shop.  I had one of those GM .32 barrels for my Reneage and used it as a bench gun cause the barrel alone weighed over 6#.  With a tang vernier sight and globe front sight, that gun and barrel would hold dime sized groups at 50 yards all day long.

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 09:27:15 AM »
For the record, I paid $295 plus shipping and I'm  extremely  happy with it. From now on, I'm  calling it my little bastard Renegade .
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 01:06:28 PM »
Sounds to me like what Fyrstyk said.  I don't know of T-C making any small bore rifles other than the Seneca and Cherokee, and I don't remember the drop in barrels from Green Mountain being smaller than .45, although my rememberer doesn't remember as well as it used to remember!  :Doh!  Now that holds for the drop-in barrels only, so the Fox Ridge folks (or some other gunsmith) could have put a T-C breech plug on a .32 GM barrel.

No matter what, you made a steal on that one!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 02:23:30 PM »
For the record, I paid $295 plus shipping and I'm  extremely  happy with it. From now on, I'm  calling it my little bastard Renegade .

I think you did well getting it for that price.  :hairy  :hairy  :applaud
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 05:07:26 PM »

I think you did well getting it for that price.  :hairy  :hairy  :applaud

Yes, I would agree - that came your way at a good price!  :hairy  Also, you gotta love the name Nessmuk tagged on 'er!!!  :toast

Offline Nutnfancy

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 07:49:09 PM »
Thompson Center did make a .50 cal. Renegade, I still own a .50 cal. T/C Renegade that I built from a kit that I bought back in the '80's. I just gave my son the factory built .50 cal. Renegade my Uncle gifted me that he owned that was made according to serial number in the mid '80's. Back then the Renegade was available in both .50 & .54 cal. with double set triggers. The Renegade was discontinued for several years but due to the demand by deer hunters (plain Jane, no brass to reflect lite, shorter barrel for dense woods) T/C brought it back as the Renegade Hunter, single trigger available in, if memory serves me correctly, .50 cal. only.
I also have one of the .54 cal. Renegades, a great shooter as are both of the above mention Renegades.

"If You Knew Half of What I forgot You Would Be An Idiot"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 08:12:07 PM »
Yes they did Nutnfancy...

My former boss before we both retired use to get together quite often with the local gang of BP shooters here where I live during the summer months, and that's what he shot all the time... In fact it was the only muzzleloading firearm he owned...  :Doh! It took me a day to remember this...:Doh!

He's the one on the left with his .50 TC Renegade