Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Powder Horn History#14 Colonial Era  (Read 1390 times)

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Powder Horn History#14 Colonial Era
« on: August 11, 2020, 12:23:44 PM »
Reposting old threads that were lost after the forum cleanup from broken threads or lost pics from photobucket, here's an early build , Maybe some one can use it as a reference or  ideas for their own build! Copy of a colonial era horn from Grinsdales book

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Powder Horn History#14 Colonial Era
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 03:35:49 PM »
Hey Jim, Nice simple design horn.  I like it a lot.
As a point of discussion, let's talk about the staple you have.  Now, I am not a big fan of the staple thing, I much more prefer the simple strap groove instead.
Please, I am not saying this is done wrong, it's just a topic of discussion.  OK.  Although I have seen many staples that have employed a couple of full twists along the length of the exposed area, I have also heard many people say that is a bad idea, because it can wear the connecting threads of a cloth strap ????  What does everyone think?
Then there is placement of the staple.  It seems to me that having it on the top of the horn is less than desirable, as over a period of time, it could work loose and pull out.  Whereas if it were put on the bottom and only utilized as a device to keep the horn strap in place, that much stress would not be employed.  I know, one can always bend the tip of the staple over, or epoxy it in place when installing, etc. but also some people would not think to do that.
So, what I am looking at here is just a topic of conversation.  What say all of you?  Probably should start a new thread so Beav's post is not hi jacked.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 04:58:04 PM »
Hey Jim, Nice simple design horn.  I like it a lot.
As a point of discussion, let's talk about the staple you have.  Now, I am not a big fan of the staple thing, I much more prefer the simple strap groove instead.
Please, I am not saying this is done wrong, it's just a topic of discussion.  OK.  Although I have seen many staples that have employed a couple of full twists along the length of the exposed area, I have also heard many people say that is a bad idea, because it can wear the connecting threads of a cloth strap ????  What does everyone think?
Then there is placement of the staple.  It seems to me that having it on the top of the horn is less than desirable, as over a period of time, it could work loose and pull out.  Whereas if it were put on the bottom and only utilized as a device to keep the horn strap in place, that much stress would not be employed.  I know, one can always bend the tip of the staple over, or epoxy it in place when installing, etc. but also some people would not think to do that.
So, what I am looking at here is just a topic of conversation.  What say all of you?  Probably should start a new thread so Beav's post is not hi jacked.

John (Bigsmoke)

John, this is the perfect place for this discussion, gives a model to refer to, I agree, like I said in earlier posts these are horns my early horn making days, 10 to 12 years ago, that being said there are many people that prefer the staple on the top of the horn instead of the side, go figure! I prefer the double ring on the throat of the horn for strap attachment, although there are pics of original horns with a staple in the same place as this one.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 09:48:48 PM »
 :*: I hope you don't mind my joining the discussion....

I seriously doubt it the twist would impact the fibers of the strap if (caveat) the strap were wide enough to fill the staple so it doesn't slip back and forth on it.  And if it isn't bent over (they didn't have epoxy back "in the day") it could work loose over time as you say; it should be bent over when first installed to prevent that from happening. 

It would be interesting to see the original from Grinsdale's book, get an x-ray to see what was done to secure the staple.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 11:31:24 PM »
:*: I hope you don't mind my joining the discussion....

I seriously doubt it the twist would impact the fibers of the strap if (caveat) the strap were wide enough to fill the staple so it doesn't slip back and forth on it.  And if it isn't bent over (they didn't have epoxy back "in the day") it could work loose over time as you say; it should be bent over when first installed to prevent that from happening. 

It would be interesting to see the original from Grinsdale's book, get an x-ray to see what was done to secure the staple.

~Kees~

Kees all my staples have been bent from the inside and them epoxied inside and out to try to keep the bent staple from any movement, originals that have been able to see the inside, the staples were either bent or have notched barbs like fish hooks to keep them in place
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA