Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: New ramrod for Lyman GPR  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: New ramrod for Lyman GPR
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 07:12:58 PM »
While cleaning the house I pulled the GPR out from behind the door where it resides.  That brandly-new RR stands out like a sore thumb, all white and virginal looking.  I guess i should get out the stain and darken it up some....  ::)

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 11:01:11 PM »
I went to a rendezvous one time in Washington and they had a sponsor who donated a bundle of 3/8" dowel.  They put on a ram rod shoot.  One shot, highest score ring cut won the prize.  I think it was 5 silver dollars or some such thing.  Kind of novel, I thought.  Seemed to really make the flinters spurt out the flash hole, IIRC.  Good times.  But progress came to the rendezvous and they lost the site.  Bummer, it was a nice setting.  What was it called?  Seems like it might have been Camus Prairie or some such thing.  I think I won two of the events and I still have the silver dollars (2 each) wrapped up in nice little beaded brain tanned pouches.  They were Ike dollars.

Camus Meadows? aka soggy moccasin?
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2020, 09:57:24 AM »
I went to a rendezvous one time in Washington and they had a sponsor who donated a bundle of 3/8" dowel.  They put on a ram rod shoot.  One shot, highest score ring cut won the prize.  I think it was 5 silver dollars or some such thing.  Kind of novel, I thought.  Seemed to really make the flinters spurt out the flash hole, IIRC.  Good times.  But progress came to the rendezvous and they lost the site.  Bummer, it was a nice setting.  What was it called?  Seems like it might have been Camus Prairie or some such thing.  I think I won two of the events and I still have the silver dollars (2 each) wrapped up in nice little beaded brain tanned pouches.  They were Ike dollars.

Camus Meadows? aka soggy moccasin?

Yeah, Jim, I think that's the ticket.  Had not known the nickname of soggy mocs.  Probably about right.  Seems like the time I went over there was the last time it happened.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 04:12:33 PM »
An update on the new ramrod.  I used it to clean out the bore (again) on the T-C Hawkin as the ramrod for that had a boogered up thread on the tip, so I couldn't screw the jag in (it's fixed now, chased the threads with a 10-32 tap).  When I got the patched jag all the way down the bore it stuck; wouldn't pull back up.  I tried turning it to loosen the bore's grip on it and, dang it, the rod sheared off right at the edge of the brass tip.  I wasn't putting very much torque on it at all!   :o

So what happened?  I think the fact that the rod had been soaking up kerosene for a year or more probably softened the fibers.  Then I used the tubing cutter to scribe a line around it, compressing the fibers and further weakening them (the rod separated at the scribed line).  Then when I torqued it the fibers came apart.  I have made several other dowel ramrods which had not soaked for long in kerosene and they have functioned very well even when being twisted, so the idea of leaving them to soak for a long time is probably NOT a good thing.  ::)

I got the severed piece out of the barrel by using the ramrod from the Hodgepodge Rifle with a bullet puller.  It screwed into the end of the tip and pulled it out easy as you please.  :applaud

I'll be ordering some hickory ramrods from Dixie Gunworks for this project and to have a spare or two on hand!  :bl th up

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 05:00:48 PM »
An update on the new ramrod.  I used it to clean out the bore (again) on the T-C Hawkin as the ramrod for that had a boogered up thread on the tip, so I couldn't screw the jag in (it's fixed now, chased the threads with a 10-32 tap).  When I got the patched jag all the way down the bore it stuck; wouldn't pull back up.  I tried turning it to loosen the bore's grip on it and, dang it, the rod sheared off right at the edge of the brass tip.  I wasn't putting very much torque on it at all!   :o

So what happened?  I think the fact that the rod had been soaking up kerosene for a year or more probably softened the fibers.  Then I used the tubing cutter to scribe a line around it, compressing the fibers and further weakening them (the rod separated at the scribed line).  Then when I torqued it the fibers came apart.  I have made several other dowel ramrods which had not soaked for long in kerosene and they have functioned very well even when being twisted, so the idea of leaving them to soak for a long time is probably NOT a good thing.  ::)

I got the severed piece out of the barrel by using the ramrod from the Hodgepodge Rifle with a bullet puller.  It screwed into the end of the tip and pulled it out easy as you please.  :applaud

I'll be ordering some hickory ramrods from Dixie Gunworks for this project and to have a spare or two on hand!  :bl th up

~Kees~

Kees, this is one of the reasons that I never use a wood rod, even in my hunting gun I have a brass ended plastic flex rod in the pipes!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2020, 05:38:26 PM »
I'm with you on that, Jim.
But for appearance sake, I do keep a wood rod in place under the barrel.  I don't soak it in kerosene, just have a little stain on it and have it well waxed.  If for any reason I have to use it out in the field, like to reload or something, I know enough not to grip the rod more than 6 or 8" above the barrel.  Everything else is done with a brass range rod - range loading, cleaning, ball pulling, breech plug face cleaning, etc.

I am kind of thinking about getting back into brass rod making here in a couple of months.  Will make range rods and under gun rods.  Probably will be selling all the good Treso rod hardware as well.  I just need to get some ducks into a row first, then buy some tooling and some brass rod.  But at this point, it's just thinking.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 12:13:09 PM »
I'm with you on that, Jim.
But for appearance sake, I do keep a wood rod in place under the barrel.  I don't soak it in kerosene, just have a little stain on it and have it well waxed.  If for any reason I have to use it out in the field, like to reload or something, I know enough not to grip the rod more than 6 or 8" above the barrel.  Everything else is done with a brass range rod - range loading, cleaning, ball pulling, breech plug face cleaning, etc.

I am kind of thinking about getting back into brass rod making here in a couple of months.  Will make range rods and under gun rods.  Probably will be selling all the good Treso rod hardware as well.  I just need to get some ducks into a row first, then buy some tooling and some brass rod.  But at this point, it's just thinking.

John (Bigsmoke)

:hairy sounds like your getting bored without all that horn dust floating around!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2020, 07:43:39 PM »
I have a big ol' Heavy brass cleaning rod that I use as a ball puller, pre-fitted with a fine screw worm.  The weight of the rod whence dropped down the tube is enuf to well pierce the lead ball and a few rod twists later it's firmly attached.  The handle of the rod is drilled out with two holes - one is for a lanyard loop to fasten over anything handy 'n' stout (tree limb) and t'other hole that's drilled nearer the handle end is for slipping in a 6" x 1/4" steel rod to act as a step-on foot stirrup.  One or the other - lanyard or stirrup - will retrieve the errant ball, for sure.  :toast  :*:

Offline Cottonwood

• TMA Forum Member
  • Flathead Valley Montana
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2020, 04:10:23 PM »
I never use my RR under the barrel except maybe when cleaning.... but my RR which is a nice hard RR with a brass end with 10/32nd threads works the best.

:*:
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

A .54 cal, will kill anything on 4 legs in North America.