Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: a quick hello  (Read 2258 times)

Online KDubs

• TMA Contributing Member
a quick hello
« on: October 21, 2020, 07:53:58 PM »
from spirit lake Idaho to all my new friends.
 I have been a traditional bow hunter for 30+ yrs but always shot modern rifles. 
 I think that carrying a modern scoped gun made me a lazy hunter since I always thought if I saw it I could shoot it no matter the distance or weather.   just wasn't fulfilling to me. even though I would practice traditional methods, still felt I had the advantage.
 Swore I'd  never buy a muzzleloader, " too much maintenance , too many steps etc.) however with encouragement from a friend, Last year a bought a used never fired TC hawken .54 cal.  sidelock.  circa 1990s I'm guessing
 Came with all the extras included, balls , patches, lube, BP, flask, measure etc.  everything I could need , I thought.  best 200 bucks I've spent in awhile.
 Who knew BP smelled so good.  now I cant get enough, it has reinvigorated my desire to hunt , I really enjoy reading about the history and all the learning and tinkering I can do.
 Pretty much settled on PRB with 90gr BP.  tried the synth stuff but BP just seems right. kinda like wood arrows go with wood bows..
 any way just wanted to say hi and looking forward to a long wonderful journey.
 regards kevin

TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: a quick hello
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 08:12:04 PM »
Kevin, welcome to traditional muzzleloading and welcome to the TMA, plenty of good folks here and lots of knowledge, if you have a question, don't be afraid to ask, we're always happy to help!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 08:13:09 PM »
Welcome to the TMA Kevin, and the traditional side of muzzle loading.  :shake

That TC Hawken will serve you well. I have one in .54 caliber also, and 90 grains is pretty much a standard load in these rifles for hunting deer size game...

You're gonna have a great time!!!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 09:00:07 PM »
Welcome to the TMA KDubs.  :hairy  :applaud  :shake
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 09:06:23 PM »
from spirit lake Idaho to all my new friends.
 I have been a traditional bow hunter for 30+ yrs but always shot modern rifles. 
 I think that carrying a modern scoped gun made me a lazy hunter since I always thought if I saw it I could shoot it no matter the distance or weather.   just wasn't fulfilling to me. even though I would practice traditional methods, still felt I had the advantage.
 Swore I'd  never buy a muzzleloader, " too much maintenance , too many steps etc.) however with encouragement from a friend, Last year a bought a used never fired TC hawken .54 cal.  sidelock.  circa 1990s I'm guessing
 Came with all the extras included, balls , patches, lube, BP, flask, measure etc.  everything I could need , I thought.  best 200 bucks I've spent in awhile.
 Who knew BP smelled so good.  now I cant get enough, it has reinvigorated my desire to hunt , I really enjoy reading about the history and all the learning and tinkering I can do.
 Pretty much settled on PRB with 90gr BP.  tried the synth stuff but BP just seems right. kinda like wood arrows go with wood bows..
 any way just wanted to say hi and looking forward to a long wonderful journey.
 regards kevin

you and I have a few things in common...

I too have hunted with trad sticks for more then a few years but I did love my "White Devil powder" gun (ya'll know where I learned that term who've been around here a while... ) :)

First the eyes faded, along with mobility, but I still got the GPR and make Smoke now and then... been awfully wet here and now it's leaf mulching time and that is time consuming... i Used to have a sizeable garden and borrow a yard sweeper and sweep up leaves...that contraption died, I seeded most of that garden in grass cause it was too much alone so now I have to mulch leave with the mower and it is a lot more time consuming...

Alas, welcome... this be a good bunch of folks..quick to share and quite polite too! :):) :bl th up

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 09:36:01 PM »
Welcome Kevin, glad you signed up. :wave
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 10:13:16 PM »
Hello Kevin, glad you're here. You'll never find a nicer bunch of Black powder Scalawags on the entire net. :shake
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 10:33:19 PM »
Kevin, Welcome to the group.
So, you're in Spirit Lake, eh?  I would suggest you sign in with the Coeur D'Alene Muzzleloaders.  I think their shoots are over for the year, but their Christmas party is legendary.  Check them out.  And of course, there is their rendezvous in June.  I am sure hoping it happens next year, as we are planning on coming up for it.
Spokane has a pretty good group as well, the Spokane Falls Muzzleloaders.  And of course, there is the Hog Heaven Muzzleloaders in Moscow and another group in Pullman, WA, I think.  Not to mention a group in Louiston and one in Grangeville.  There used to be a group in Kellog, but I am not for sure if they are still active or not.  And in February, there is the CdA Muzzleloading Gun Show at the Fairgrounds.  This all is considering the old COVID thing doesn't get in the way in 2021.  So, there is no excuse for not getting really involved in this great sport.  You are in a terrific place to be involved.
Enjoy the heck out of it.

John )Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online KDubs

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 11:03:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.
 Big smoke I will definitely look into CDA muzzleoaders .
 I feel this will be a great ride.. There will be plenty of questions
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline One Shot

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 12:08:31 AM »
Welcome, glad you could join us at our fire...The TC is a durable muzzleloader and will serve you well.... :hairy
Semper Fi
The Few The Proud

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 08:32:46 AM »
Welcome to the TMA, Kevin!   :wave   :*:

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 08:55:12 AM »
 :hairy
Welcome aboard and glad to have ya!

And just for the record, I totally agree with ya...the smell of black powder can be addicting. It is the only way to go!
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 09:11:01 AM »
Welcome to the camp Kevin  :shake glad ya found us.
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 10:58:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.
 Big smoke I will definitely look into CDA muzzleoaders .
 I feel this will be a great ride.. There will be plenty of questions

I've gotten fine and courteous replies to any and all questions! I am sure you will also... Best $15/yr you can spend is to join this crew and help support them with a measily few $$

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2020, 03:08:36 PM »
I'm always late to the party, it seems!  :Doh! Welcome aboard, and thank you for the posting you have been doing.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025