Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: .43 Caliber Hawken "Eastern" Rifle  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
.43 Caliber Hawken "Eastern" Rifle
« on: October 22, 2020, 07:51:51 PM »
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: .43 Caliber Hawken "Eastern" Rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 03:37:29 PM »
That's good information there.  I was a little surprised though; in the black & white photo the two guys are packing 1895 Winchester lever guns!  Otherwise a fine snippet of data about William Hawken.

It looks like the rifle has a wedge towards the rear of the barrel, but I don't see how the front is held to the stock.  It wouldn't be both pinned and with a wedge, would it?

Thanks for posting that!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 06:45:39 PM »
That's good information there.  I was a little surprised though; in the black & white photo the two guys are packing 1895 Winchester lever guns!  Otherwise a fine snippet of data about William Hawken.

It looks like the rifle has a wedge towards the rear of the barrel, but I don't see how the front is held to the stock.  It wouldn't be both pinned and with a wedge, would it?

Thanks for posting that!

~Kees~

Yes, why they'd show two guys with lever guns is beyond me?

It's hard to see, but I count 3 wedges; 1 about 1 to 2 inches behind the nose cap, and the middle one is between the first two thimbles from the muzzle end, and of course the third has the brass plate inlay.

You really have to look carefully for the front two, but they are there.  :shake  Kees, there might be another between the two rear thimbles as well (kind'a looks like there is)...

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 06:40:50 PM »
I'm not a real "techie", sometimes wish I was.  Anyway, I stopped the video and did a "print screen".  Imported that into Photoshop and saved it as a .JPG file, then copied that into Paint.  I'm sure that someone who knows what they are doing could get a better image direct off of the Youtube but I ain't that smart.  :Doh!

Anyway, I am attaching the photo where I drew scribbles around the pins I see for holding the thimbles and arrows to show where I think may be a couple of more pins to hold the barrel.  There is some stuff right behind the nose cap but I can't determine what it is.  The escutcheon for the wedge show up very clearly, and I would expect the same for other barrel wedges, unless they have been torn off at some time.  But then again, the eye doctor says I have cataracts so the vision isn't as good as it used to be (and it never was that great to begin with).

~Kees~

[ Invalid Attachment ]
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 07:04:34 PM »
I'm not a real "techie", sometimes wish I was.  Anyway, I stopped the video and did a "print screen".  Imported that into Photoshop and saved it as a .JPG file, then copied that into Paint.  I'm sure that someone who knows what they are doing could get a better image direct off of the Youtube but I ain't that smart.  :Doh!

Anyway, I am attaching the photo where I drew scribbles around the pins I see for holding the thimbles and arrows to show where I think may be a couple of more pins to hold the barrel.  There is some stuff right behind the nose cap but I can't determine what it is.  The escutcheon for the wedge show up very clearly, and I would expect the same for other barrel wedges, unless they have been torn off at some time.  But then again, the eye doctor says I have cataracts so the vision isn't as good as it used to be (and it never was that great to begin with).

~Kees~

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Yes sir,,, and there's one more barrel wedge about 1-1/2" behind the nose cap.