Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: New CVA Bobcat Stock  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: New CVA Bobcat Stock
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2021, 10:10:20 PM »
Got images to share?
Notice the blood stain on the cheek piece.  :o

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Thanks Joe.  I got the easiest butt plate I could for this first time effort so it doesn't have the extension on top, nor a toe plate (although the latter can always be added later).  :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2021, 11:11:23 PM »
Got images to share?

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Thanks Joe.  I got the easiest butt plate I could for this first time effort so it doesn't have the extension on top, nor a toe plate (although the latter can always be added later).  :laffing

~Kees~

I'm thinking the CVA Frontier didn't have a top extension on its butt-plate. is that right, or am I remembering wrong? I bought one a long time ago and sold it a few weeks later to a feller who just loved that little short .50 caliber.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2021, 05:43:03 AM »
Got images to share?

[ Invalid Attachment ]

~Kees~

Love the blood stain - now yer connected to that gun no matter what.  :laffing

Bandsaw would work best for the butt stock crescent cut, but it could be cut square with a handsaw and then rasped to shape.  Screw on the butt plate and rasp the stock to fit.  Aside from the crescent shape, a relatively easy butt plate to install since it's on one plane and not two (no top).

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2021, 06:28:18 AM »
Almost forgot Kees, are you going to allow for cast off, or run straight with that butt plate. Sometimes that cast off can be a pain if you go too much - and factory over the counter rifles usually don't have cast off - so if you're use to shooting factory stocked rifles - I wouldn't go the cast off route.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2021, 08:08:10 PM »
Just straight. Once I get through this one I'll think on what else I can screw up....  :o  :lol sign

~Kees~

With much trepidation I set to work with the coping saw with the pictured results.  I'll see if I can find a round or half round rasp tomorrow to start working it down more.  Or maybe just use 80 grit sandpaper around a 1" dowel.  I will have to remember to take my time.  As someone here said, "patience, little grasshopper!"

[ Invalid Attachment ]
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2021, 11:53:26 AM »
Believe it or not... I find fitting a butt plate properly the most frustrating job on any rifle build! slow and easy with lots of inletting black!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2021, 04:16:40 PM »
Believe it or not... I find fitting a butt plate properly the most frustrating job on any rifle build! slow and easy with lots of inletting black!

I will definitely believe it!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2021, 06:10:33 PM »
They are a tricky beast for sure! But doable.  :bl th up

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2021, 06:17:18 PM »

For curved butt ends, I use a set of drum sanders ($27 @ Harbor Freight) in my power hand drill.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-quick-change-sanding-drum-set-35455.html

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2021, 11:17:30 PM »
I thought about doing something like that but it seems that whenever I use power tools (including Dremmel) I end up taking too much off and then having to do something else to cover up the mistake.  So, I have an order in for a half round rasp set: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WLND7VX?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

Slow & easy wins the race, I hope!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2021, 06:29:55 PM »
Another question: what to use for pins to pin the barrel to the stock?  I thought that brass was traditional, in which case I need to find some brazing rod.  Howsomever, I do have some steel rods about 1/16" diameter which could be used.  I just wonder about it being susceptible to rust.  The H&A underhammer, my first ML rifle which I foolishly sold, had the forearm pinned on with brass.  Which would be better, steel or brass?

In the meantime, I have the butt almost completely matching the butt plate; just a few more passes with the rasp should do it.  Then I will file the edges of the plate to match the wood and the wood to match the plate and I'm done there.

The barrel has two dovetails in the bottom flat.  One was for the wedge lug, the other for the nut to which the under rib was screwed.  I'm planning to use them for the underlugs.  However, the one for the wedge is way long, almost 3/4" and the other is shorter than a standard 3/8" as they are both metric.  I am making underlugs to fit from some pieces of steel I picked up at the hardware store.  I only have 0.233" of wood between the barrel channel and the ramrod channel so not enough to even think about using wedges to hold it together.

All in all it's another learning experience!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2021, 07:01:03 PM »
I have the butt plate pretty well in place.  There is a sliver of space on both sides between the wood and the plate, and I'm not overly happy with the toe but I'll go with it as it is for now.  Need to concentrate on the barrel under lugs.  then the ramrod channel and hole are/were a tad bit too small a diameter.  I have sanded out the channel, not sure what to do about the hole as I don't have a l-o-n-g drill.  I'm thinking of getting a 1/4" dowel and attaching sandpaper to the end, then running that in and out, possibly chucked in a drill to enlarge the hole.

Any advice will be appreciated!

~Kees~

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
NMLRA Life

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2021, 09:43:01 PM »
Would it be possible to scrape and sand the rod to fit?
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2024
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2021, 10:05:15 PM »
Keys, I like the 1/16 steel rivet shaft that is used for the 1/8 rivet... I've never had one of these show the slightest sign of bend under continuous recoil over the years... Personally, I feel if you used a brass pin - it would eventually show signs of bending and would effect your accuracy. Just my opinion...  :shake

(You can always blue that steel barrel pin. I've never had one "rust" to where I couldn't get it out.)

PS... Nice job on that butt-plate!!! 

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2021, 02:53:16 PM »
Would it be possible to scrape and sand the rod to fit?
I thought of that, but the metal fittings at the end would have to be decreased also.  Ramrods from my other rifles are also very tight in this stock.  The RR channel sanded down nicely so all I need to do is increase the diameter of the drilled hole and I'm good.

Kees, I like the 1/16 steel rivet shaft that is used for the 1/8 rivet... I've never had one of these show the slightest sign of bend under continuous recoil over the years... Personally, I feel if you used a brass pin - it would eventually show signs of bending and would effect your accuracy. Just my opinion...  :shake

(You can always blue that steel barrel pin. I've never had one "rust" to where I couldn't get it out.)

Sounds like that's the way for me to go.  I can always change it later if I decide to!

PS... Nice job on that butt-plate!!! 
Thank you, you are much too kind!  I see gaps which should not be there, but at this point I will continue on with the barrel under lugs.

Now one more question, what do the cognoscenti suggest for stain?  I have tried the cans from Walmart & Lowe's with less than spectacular results, and am tending to Laurel Mountain Forge or Birchwood-Casey.  Finish will be Linspeed as that has done well for me in the past.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life