Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Barrel Cleaning, Redux  (Read 1291 times)

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Barrel Cleaning, Redux
« on: December 16, 2020, 11:15:19 AM »
I figured that I would start a new thread here, continuing on from Joe's .40 caliber thread in "A Day At The Range".

So using HOT water is probably not a good idea.  Does anyone use alcohol after they use tepid or cold water to scrub down the bore and then dry it?  An alcohol patch would help to remove any water left in the metal pores, and negates the use of (Water Displacement)-40.  I do this on occasion, whether it needs it or not!  :scared:

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online dmarsh

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Member #798
Re: Barrel Cleaning, Redux
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 11:42:53 AM »
I use room temperature water and when she is clean I spray liberally with WD40 and then use a patch to clean up the excess WD40 and then use that patch on the outside metal.  Have never had a problem with this combo.  The only alcohol I use is in my beer...... :hairy :toast :bigsmile:
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 12:27:10 PM »
I use room temperature water and when she is clean I spray liberally with WD40 and then use a patch to clean up the excess WD40 and then use that patch on the outside metal.  Have never had a problem with this combo.  The only alcohol I use is in my beer...... :hairy :toast :bigsmile:
That's funny about the Beer, brother! :):)

I'm not as learned as some of you chaps but have been taught in recent years to just use tepid water, dry w/ patches till no moisture, then oil or grease...

I gotta go check my bbl, now we mention it again...

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 01:07:01 PM »
My suggestion is to clean yer guns anyway ya like, but do check them (patches down and out the bore, and don't forget the ante-chamber if you have an offshore muzzy) every day for about a week, then do it once a month.  Allow reality to be your guide and mentor.

Been there, done that, learned a lesson or two and KISS works amazingly well ... for me. 

:*:

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 04:55:34 PM »
Does anyone use alcohol after they use tepid or cold water to scrub down the bore and then dry it?

Kees,

Though I don't do it myself, I've seen many people use an alcohol swabbing patch after each shot, but this has always been at local shoots and at State Shoot where they are trying to control the bore's exactness after each shot... I can't say as I've ever seen it done at a Rendezvous type shoot...

With the above said, I can't see where it would hurt anything to run an alcohol patch after cleaning, and followed by a lubed patch for storage.

I can't remember the last time I didn't use a "Birchwood Casey Sheath Rust Preventive" oiled patch in the bore (and on all metal parts) before storing my rifle's / handguns, after cleaning... I believe their three claims on their can is quite accurate;

1. Displaces Moisture
2. Lubricates
3. Prevents Rust

:shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska