Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Horn size?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
Horn size?
« on: January 12, 2021, 01:40:16 PM »
I have been using one of those 6'-9" 'day horns' from TOW.  It's fine, but I wonder if I should get something slightly larger.

What are you carrying? How big is your 'primary' horn, the one you use most often? 

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Horn size?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 02:39:44 PM »
Being something of a neophyte at this I have to wonder if the real question might be:

"Have you EVER run outa powder, on any outing with your current horn?

:lol sign

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 04:24:14 PM »
I have been using one of those 6'-9" 'day horns' from TOW.  It's fine, but I wonder if I should get something slightly larger.

What are you carrying? How big is your 'primary' horn, the one you use most often?

I carry in the range of 9 to 12 inch horns... (The smaller [9 to 10 inch] horns for .40 to .45 caliber, and the larger [10 to 12 inch] horns for .50 caliber and up).

In reality, I've never ran out of powder in any of those sizes - and I think that's simply do to eventually getting to know just how many loads you'll get out of your horn(s) for the caliber(s) you carry.

100% of the time a simple shake of the horn tells me when it's time to fill the horn, or just add some for an outing I might be off to.

No real science to my method - it just simply works for me.  So carry what works for you. :shake 
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online KDubs

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 04:29:26 PM »
So far I just carry a small day horn .
 Approx 7000 grs to the pound.
 70gr charge is 100 shots.  Sooooo....
 How much do you plan on shooting.
 I like to carry only what I need .
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 07:01:06 PM »
When I started shooting lo these many years ago, I got my hands on a small day horn that measured 7" on the bottom curve.  I was shooting a T/C Renegade in .54 caliber and I don't recall ever running out of powder at a shooting match, but I might have filled the horn during the day.  for some reason, I had been using various charges for different ranges, I think 25 grains for 25 yards, 50 grains for 50 yards and maybe 75 grains for anything further than that.

Now, I am using a nice horn that is 11 1/2" on the curve and I shoot a charge of 85 grains for everything.  It has adequate powder for any of my endeavors.

Like kDub says, he only carries what he needs.  After all, you're just going out to punch holes through paper or knock over a piece of steel.  You're not going to go fight a war.

For hunting, I had a .72 caliber rifle that shot a 200 grain charge.  I would load the barrel when I started and I carried 3 speed loaders with me.  I also carried a small 750 grain flask along with 3 extra round ball and wads and patches to reload the quick loaders.  Way more than I would ever need for three expeditions. 
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 10:01:31 PM »
For me its always a conscience decision based on if im hunting or at a trail walk at rendezvous, what caliber im shooting and plan ahead. I can never remember running out of powder. And until recently all my horns are medium to smallish in size. And three most common calibers I Shoot are , .36,.45&.50.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Butler Ford 40

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 04:53:26 AM »
LOL! I had to go measure!!  My "EDC" Is 13.5" not counting the plug.  The Horn for the Cherokee is 7.5", Flat horn is 7" and a "tribute" horn is about 8" and the next work that has not started yet looks like it's going to be between 9 and 10 inches.  I guess, what ever is available or which gun, which horn?
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 02:06:02 PM »
For hunting, I had a .72 caliber rifle that shot a 200 grain charge.  I would load the barrel when I started and I carried 3 speed loaders with me.  I also carried a small 750 grain flask along with 3 extra round ball and wads and patches to reload the quick loaders.  Way more than I would ever need for three expeditions.

I'd have to get out the book to confirm this & I'm being lazy so I won't, but Nessmuk (George Sears) told of a trek he took across Michigan with his Billinghurst rifle and half a dozen cartridges he made up for it.  Those would be paper cartridges, not the unmentionable kind.  He walked over 200 miles through wilderness, living off the land; I believe it took him two weeks. I guess a horn is not especially necessary!   :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 09:35:27 PM »
Usually I have enough powder in the horn for a moderate range session, but I have run out a couple of times.