Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Top jaw screwdriver needed  (Read 2513 times)

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
Top jaw screwdriver needed
« on: January 26, 2021, 08:53:27 PM »
Can someone recommend a screw driver thin enough to fit into the very slender slot on a top jaw screw?

The slot is very narrow. To give you an idea of size, the blade of a letter opener. fits. The blade was thin enough to fit into the slot and long enough to provide the necessary leverage.  Still, I need a proper tool that I can keep in my shooting bag.  Suggestions?

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Top jaw screwdriver needed
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 09:10:58 PM »
I had to use my grinding wheel to take down the thickness of my screw-driver to fit the slot... A person can also drill a small hole through the top knob of the screw and use a rod to tighten the jaw screw down.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 09:17:42 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Joe. I tried grinding down a forged screw driver, but the head it too narrow. So, I got it to fit, but it wasn't sturdy enough to turn the top jaw. I don't want to drill a hole in the top jaw screw. First, I need to get the screw OFF the gun before doing any work on it. Also, I'd rather just have a properly fittings screw driver.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 09:33:36 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Joe. I tried grinding down a forged screw driver, but the head it too narrow. So, I got it to fit, but it wasn't sturdy enough to turn the top jaw. I don't want to drill a hole in the top jaw screw. First, I need to get the screw OFF the gun before doing any work on it. Also, I'd rather just have a properly fittings screw driver.

Maybe widen the slot in the screw, rather than taking the driver's edge down so thin??
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 09:41:10 PM »

[/quote]

Maybe widen the slot in the screw, rather than taking the driver's edge down so thin??
[/quote]

I don't want to start grinding on the gun and mess it up. I'd rather have the right screw driver.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 09:43:51 PM »
Who made the lock?
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 09:48:35 PM »
Chambers.
Townsends has a little forged turn key that may work. I want to leave the grinding to the pros. I appreciate the suggestions though. 

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 10:06:05 PM »
As Rollingb suggested, you could widen the slot... Just get a "Points" file from your local hardware or auto store, and that ought to do the trick...

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 10:24:37 PM »
It shouldn't be difficult to get a replacement screw from Chambers, if you mess up the one you already have.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 11:16:23 PM »
I'm going to try grinding down the turnscrew a little more, instead of risking damaging the top jaw itself. On more careful inspection, it looks like I could thin out the screw driver for a better fit. That may do it. 

If not, I'll continue the search for a decent gunsmith screw driver.   If any of you can suggest a decent set, I'm interested in the recommendation.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 01:31:20 AM »
I'm going to try grinding down the turnscrew a little more, instead of risking damaging the top jaw itself. On more careful inspection, it looks like I could thin out the screw driver for a better fit. That may do it. 

If not, I'll continue the search for a decent gunsmith screw driver.   If any of you can suggest a decent set, I'm interested in the recommendation.

I've had one of these driver sets for years and it has treated me well.  :bl th up

Chapman MFG 8900 Gun Owner Standard Screwdriver Set

I think you can get'em from Amazon.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 08:41:45 AM »
That's almost always an issue - finding a proper cock turn screw to fit those narrow "period correct" cock screw slots.  I wish I could remember where I got mine from but I think it was mentioned in an older issue of Muzzleloader Magazine.  It's made from an exceptionally hard steel, has dual blades and a nice round bend that works well for knapping a flint edge, and sits nicely in its sheath on my shooting bag strap.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 09:01:28 AM »
That's almost always an issue - finding a proper cock turn screw to fit those narrow "period correct" cock screw slots.  I wish I could remember where I got mine . . . It's made from an exceptionally hard steel, has dual blades and a nice round bend that works well for knapping a flint edge, and sits nicely in its sheath on my shooting bag strap.

RobD, if you happen to wander upon your source, please let me know. Assuming it fits, that turnscrew looks like a good addition to a bag. Filing down one of my turn screws worked for now.

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 04:57:29 PM »
Back to the original post, I would just take a hack saw and lay the blade on the existing screw slot, then carefully saw down as deep as it already is.  Let the slot be your guide.  That way you are sure to get vertical sides to the widened slot which you may not get using a triangular file.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 07:34:11 PM »
Back to the original post, I would just take a hack saw and lay the blade on the existing screw slot, then carefully saw down as deep as it already is.  Let the slot be your guide.  That way you are sure to get vertical sides to the widened slot which you may not get using a triangular file.

~Kees~

Good advice, Kees. :bl th up  I meant to mention that above as well, but it simply slipped my mind.